Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2012 Naish Hokua 9'5

Created by n8wx > 9 months ago, 6 May 2012
n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
6 May 2012 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

I have taken this board out a few times now and each time just gets better and better I thought it would be a struggle at my weight of 105kg but its actually pretty stable.

It absolutely rips on a wave and in good surf it comes alive I'm sure it makes my surfing better than it actually is...

Today I took it out the bay in 0.5-1 foot peelers I wasn't expecting much thinking I should have brought a bigger board but I caught lots of waves some long rides with fun turns even on my backhand.

Even on flat water it glides nicely for it's size. I still fall off a bit in chop but after dialled in I can see it's gona be a keeper.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
6 May 2012 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

n8wx said...

I have taken this board out a few times now and each time just gets better and better I thought it would be a struggle at my weight of 105kg but its actually pretty stable.

It absolutely rips on a wave and in good surf it comes alive I'm sure it makes my surfing better than it actually is...

Today I took it out the bay in 0.5-1 foot peelers I wasn't expecting much thinking I should have brought a bigger board but I caught lots of waves some long rides with fun turns even on my backhand.

Even on flat water it glides nicely for it's size. I still fall off a bit in chop but after dialled in I can see it's gona be a keeper.

Hahahahahaha never let the truth get in the way of a good story!!!!!!

PaulVee
VIC, 126 posts
6 May 2012 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Are you using the quad or 3 fin setup?

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
6 May 2012 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Only used shapers quad fins so far

PaulVee said...

Are you using the quad or 3 fin setup?

PaulVee
VIC, 126 posts
6 May 2012 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

I got mine about a month ago. I love it. The board is much more stable as a quad. I'm using the PC7.

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
6 May 2012 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

I have recently acquired one myself and at 83 kg i find it quite a gravitational challenge yet not impossible.

I cant imagine i could even float on it at 105 kg!, define "pretty stable"

They do surf exceptionally well though when you manage to stay upright and get on a wave.

Maybe i need to get the quad set up going.

towball
4627 posts
7 May 2012 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Quads are the only way to go large in the front( I'm using Mark Richards twins) & small in the back

maxeaus said...

I have recently acquired one myself and at 83 kg i find it quite a gravitational challenge yet not impossible.

I cant imagine i could even float on it at 105 kg!, define "pretty stable"

They do surf exceptionally well though when you manage to stay upright and get on a wave.

Maybe i need to get the quad set up going.

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
7 May 2012 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

I just realised i have three FCS fins on my old Aloha so im giving the quad a crack, only thing is the fins are about the same size as the the matching two from Naish.

.......How would 5 fins work.

So figuring I really need two bigger fins what size should i be looking for to add to the original two that come with the thruster set up?

Also do you think having the large single fin further forward as a thruster setup would be more or less stable?

Actually i just found this old thread, www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Fins-for-surfing/

PaulVee
VIC, 126 posts
7 May 2012 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Normally you could leave the factory fins & go with smaller fins at the rear. Check out the the fcs website.
I don't think the centre fin position will have too much effect on stability - more influence on turning ability.
Quad fins move surface area closer to the rails - more stability

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
7 May 2012 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

OK, thanks for that, im going to try the quad fin set up with the two Naish at the back and the ones off my surfboard at the front and see how that goes.

I will report back tomorrow, should be nice surf again as it was today.

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
7 May 2012 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Easy now some of us have to work... Hope the quad serves u well let us know

maxeaus said...

OK, thanks for that, im going to try the quad fin set up with the two Naish at the back and the ones off my surfboard at the front and see how that goes.

I will report back tomorrow, should be nice surf again as it was today.

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
7 May 2012 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

n8wx said...

Easy now some of us have to work... Hope the quad serves u well let us know

Well its hard work testing different fin configurations i will have you know.

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
8 May 2012 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

OK, so i went out at a nice 3 foot sand/reef left hander and on my first wave i went to bottom turn and fell off, LOL, so it certainly has a different feel over the thruster setup, i didn't really notice too much difference on the stability.

It was still hard work the whole time, i will have to do some more tests to work this out, tomorrow. It was definitely a looser setup though once on the wave.

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
9 May 2012 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Well today i snapped my leggy so didn't get in a long session, but it was windier and the board is still very tippy IMHO, to be honest i don't think i can tell the difference between the setup i have and the thruster, though having two larger front side fins would more than likely be a good idea in my case and i think that would improve things a bit.

Of course the two fins Ive added are totally different from the wooden Naish ones so its no surprise the whole thing might not be the best setup imaginable. ATM i have the plastic fins up front and the Naish wooden ones at the back, maybe i should swap them around?

I do though like how the board keeps a high line on waves and is noticeably faster as well so im going to keep with the quad setup as i like the feel of it on a wave.

Back to the salt mines.......... more testing tomorrow.

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
9 May 2012 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Picked a good time to do all ya testing... So jealous.

I'd buy a decent quad set if u can and see if that makes the difference it will be a good investment anyway I'm no fin expert but that setup looks a bit stocky and not the best...

Keep trying on the board honestly my balance sux big time and I find it ok.

Where r u surfing?

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
9 May 2012 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice, i will look into that i think, getting a full set of quads.

I'm out and about on the central coast, its been particularly good at spot X, Y and Z lately

.....I don't want to upset any locals.

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
9 May 2012 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Spots A-Z have all been going off lately...

Ehukai
13 posts
11 May 2012 5:16AM
Thumbs Up

I didn't get those wooden side fins with my 9 5 Hokua.
Im experimenting with quads right now.
Running GL front and FCS g 1000 rear.
I like how loose and quick the board feels with this setup.
But I do think it makes it a tad more skatey, and therefore less stable underfoot while negotiating for a wave.
Im near 100kg and have found the board stable enough and a good performer for my skill level (intermediate and rising.)
I do find in steep waves the board threatens to nose dive often (little more rocker needed perhaps)
I have a 5th fin / nubster in house and will begin to add that to the mix

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
11 May 2012 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

I thought your white ones looked the same as mine, but mine are called m5 (from 2006). It looks to me that your front fins are a bit bigger than the rears.

Skatey is a good description IMO, i find it hard to catch waves backside but am fine going forehand, but it could well be that im just crap.

OK, i looked at the FCS site and see your back fins are very small, I cant find your front ones on there ATM, i really need to get the bigger fronts/smaller backs setup i think and see how that goes.

Ah, you have the Gerry Lopez (GL), any reason you dont use the GL rears?

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
11 May 2012 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Look into shapers fins cheaper than FCS

Ehukai
13 posts
12 May 2012 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

The GL Fronts are noticeably bigger (moreso than my picture indicates.)
Im still in the early experimentation phase, but I like the larger GL upfront, and I wanted something even smaller than the GL rears. The GL rears have more depth and more area than these G1000'S. I don't know how this compares to your wooden Hokua sides, but I would definitely suggest you try the larger fronts, smaller rear quad setup.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2012 Naish Hokua 9'5" started by n8wx