112 posts
7 Oct 2011 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Anybody surf one of these yet?

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
7 Oct 2011 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

As far as I know they arrive in Aus' mid november - very very very much looking forward to this little beast and have early dibs on one already Just have to decide which of my beloved starbys to part with to finance the 9.5
I hope to get a run on a demo as soon as they arrive so will post some thoughts on it asap.

I believe they have already landed in the states so it would be worth your while getting on www.standupzone.com and contacting "Wardog" for the low down on these beautiful new boards.

B

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
8 Oct 2011 1:07AM
Thumbs Up

Let's hope they have one in Merimbula at the Corona.

DJ

wazsup
VIC, 18 posts
9 Oct 2011 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Its a beautiful thing! 2012 Satrboard 9'5" x 32" Widepoint

DIMENSIONS
Length:9'5" 287.0 cm Width:32" 81.3 cmThickness: 4.3" 10.9 cm Tail Width: 18.5"47.0 cm
Volume:155
LTHRUSTER Center Fin: Hexcel 190 Side Fins: M4.7"
*Comes standard with Quad and Thruster fin boxes

"A high performance shape with forgiving stability."
A stable and fast board with surprisingly good wave riding abilities from small shore break to clean overhead waves. This sweet shape catches surf easily and has a lifted nose rocker for secure takeoff's in steeper waves. Despite a pointed nose, it has plenty of forward volume making it great to paddle out through white water. A favorite amongst our test team and the right choice for most people getting into surfing waves.

"Continuous mono-concave the entire length of the board."
http://www.iend.name/2012/product/wide-point-9-5-32

windup
NSW, 204 posts
9 Oct 2011 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Let's hope they have one in Merimbula at the Corona.

DJ

Spoke to starboards east coast demo guy today. he is hoping to have one for Merimbula

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
9 Oct 2011 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Nice.. Thanks for that.

DJ

sharpie
NSW, 347 posts
10 Oct 2011 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

billboard said...

As far as I know they arrive in Aus' mid november - very very very much looking forward to this little beast and have early dibs on one already Just have to decide which of my beloved starbys to part with to finance the 9.5
I hope to get a run on a demo as soon as they arrive so will post some thoughts on it asap.

I believe they have already landed in the states so it would be worth your while getting on www.standupzone.com and contacting "Wardog" for the low down on these beautiful new boards.

B

way to go billboard mine is ordered as well, had to get in early apparently they are going like hotcakes.

windup
NSW, 204 posts
4 Nov 2011 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Just picked up a 9'5" WP Demo board straight out of the box for the weekend will let you all know how it goes in the surf after the weekend, got a few pics before it gets wet. i stuck it on the scales 12.5kg

Sorry DJ i Borrowed your hand, you should look at becoming a hand model

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
4 Nov 2011 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

I saw one of these boards today and reckon that they are gonna be THE board for 2012

rodders67
NSW, 176 posts
4 Nov 2011 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

I saw one of these boards today and reckon that they are gonna be THE board for 2012

thats a massive call greenroom....theres quality sups hitting the market everyday especially custom Aussie made

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
4 Nov 2011 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

rodders67 said...

Greenroom said...

thats a massive call greenroom....theres quality sups hitting the market everyday especially custom Aussie made

Yep and I'm calling it. Why go custom when you can try before you buy

Twimby
WA, 482 posts
4 Nov 2011 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

rodders67 said...

Greenroom said...

No custom boards here. It is big leap of faith to put dollars into a brand you have not even seen a sample of, let alone demoed. We read all the Aussie vs Import stuff (blah blah...) but unless the vibrant east coast custom scene is willing to put some effort into promotion over here, it will never happen.

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
5 Nov 2011 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

Fully agree mate - this and the all-new pocket rocket are gunna be huge !

Marvin
WA, 725 posts
5 Nov 2011 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

What a banana - that thing looks like it wants to take a late drop on something steep, then carve, hard. Will speed recovery be the only issue for it? Maybe not, if the concave to V straightens up the rocker on the flat.

col303
WA, 150 posts
5 Nov 2011 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Greenroom, did you get a chance to see a wide point 8'2" at the same place?

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
6 Nov 2011 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

col303 said...

No I didn't. Sorry Col.
I'm just looking in the catalogue now and it looks pretty cool.
A choice from 51 boards

Ian Grose
TAS, 423 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Nov 2011 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

DJ there won't be one of the 9'5" x 29" Wide Points, at Merimbula there will actually be two. Rod will have one in his trailer and I have just packed one in my van getting ready to hit the road next weekend. Looking forward to the Strapper Demo at Torquay, then a few days in Melbourne and then Merimbula.

Greenroom, you missed the 8'2" a demo carbon one was on the floor amongst the other boards we had just cracked.

Just hoping our next container that is due this week gets here before the weekend or Marco will be hand carying a board or to to Merimbula again.

Ian

windup
NSW, 204 posts
7 Nov 2011 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Ian Grose said...

DJ there won't be one of the 9'5" x 29" Wide Points, at Merimbula there will actually be two. Rod will have one in his trailer and I have just packed one in my van getting ready to hit the road next weekend. Looking forward to the Strapper Demo at Torquay, then a few days in Melbourne and then Merimbula.

Ian

Hopefully if Mark from ESS orders me a 9'5"WP in wood today, hope to have it before Merimbula.

LouD
WA, 641 posts
7 Nov 2011 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

So, you liked the demo then?

windup said...

Ian Grose said...

Ian

Hopefully if Mark from ESS orders me a 9'5"WP in wood today, hope to have it before Merimbula.

vee8
NSW, 64 posts
9 Nov 2011 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Ho Hum has anyone actually rid'in a demo of this board and reviewed it or is
everyone gunna keep craping on about it[}:)]

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
9 Nov 2011 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

vee8 said...

I haven't ridden Jennifer Hawkins - but I still rate her very highly

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
9 Nov 2011 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

vee8 said...

You could be that demo guy if you want. Not too far to drive and the board is waiting.

Sam.

Ericson
WA, 111 posts
9 Nov 2011 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Just got the call from the shop, picking mine up on Friday, hopefully get some waves on the weekend/early next week. Then I can post some "crape" to go along with all the other "ho hum craping on" that others have been doing.

LouD
WA, 641 posts
9 Nov 2011 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Whopper gone???

Ericson said...

Just got the call from the shop, picking mine up on Friday, hopefully get some waves on the weekend/early next week. Then I can post some "crape" to go along with all the other "ho hum craping on" that others have been doing.

BigJohn
QLD, 3 posts
9 Nov 2011 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

I just demo'd a 9'5" briefly. Should note that I am fairly new to SUPing and only had a quick demo in small surf but here is what I thought. I am 6'5" tall, 90kg and now riding small waves. I had previously demo'd the 2011 10'5" widepoint a few moths ago but didnt like it as it was too thick and corky and a bit unstable in chop for its size and width - probably due to thickness and v bottom. I thought the whopper was better for a big guy starting out, so I have been on a whopper for a while but now looking for my next board, hence keen to try the new 2012 model widepoints. They seem to have corrected the stability and cocky issue with the new models by getting rid of the V for a concave for stability and reducing the thickness and probably the rail too. The 9'5" felt stable despite it being a foot shorter the the 2011 10'5" model and felt really good underfoot and much easier to turn on the few waves i rode and more alive. Very keen to get back out on it in a week or two. Will be interested to see what the other guys say. But in my brief initial observation the 2012 is a mile ahead of the 2011 model..... so I bought one straight away without blinking.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
9 Nov 2011 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Ericson said...

Yeow Where are we going? The usual?

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
9 Nov 2011 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

col303 said...

No I didn't. Sorry Col.
I'm just looking in the catalogue now and it looks pretty cool.
A choice from 51 boards

Yes I've seen it now. What a saweet looking board. The tail looks amazing. Looks to be a super fast and stable board. Perfect for tackling those beach breaks head on

windup
NSW, 204 posts
10 Nov 2011 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

LouD said...

So, you liked the demo then?
Select to expand quote
windup said...

Yes I have demoed the 9.5WP, and am very happy but been a bit busy since the weekend.
So here is a quick few points I found, coming off a 10' MANA.
The board is very stable but no corky feel and paddled well, with my 100kg's on it
Step back and the board turned great for being 32 wide and late takeoffs are a breeze with the shape and kick in the nose allround great board for the bigger guys.
So happy i ordered one Hope to have it by the end of the week.
when I get use to it I might try a smaller fin in the back it comes with 190mm

Ericson
WA, 111 posts
10 Nov 2011 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

LouD said...

Whopper gone???
Ericson said...

Still got Whopper but balance and skills slowly improving so I want something that surfs a bit better. Unfortunately weight hasn't come down so I still need volume and width. Borrowed a 9'8" x 30 from the shop and went for a surf in some small glass, thought I was the coolest guy ever as it almost felt like a shortboard again. Took it out next day in slightly bigger but lots of chop and felt like a kook again.

Looking forward to the WP as I reckon it will be a good size/shape for the likes of me, big and fat, but intermediate skill level. There seems to be a big void between the big boards and the performance boards. I reckon the excitement around this one is that its a bit of both, and I reckon my needs are not unique in the SUP world. Blokes that don't surf as well as they used to, weigh a lot more than they should, but still want a board that isn't just point and shoot.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
20 Nov 2011 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Starboard really have all their stuff in one sock at the moment I reckon. Im on the 11-2 from last year but will probably downsize to a 9-5 this year. I love the fact that you can throw a sail on them and they are a fairly competent longboard when sailed as well. Would love to demo one at the Corona this year.

hilly
WA, 7281 posts
20 Nov 2011 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

BigJohn said...

They seem to have corrected the stability and cocky issue with the new models by getting rid of the V for a concave for stability

the issue with concave is stable as when static but will not turn when travelling at speed. Sup is design is compromise stability v surfability. designers put v in so they turn, starbys fat rails make it difficult to sink a rail at speed unless you are big wave dave in small waves they rule

I do believe the 2012 shapes are a step forward but there is a lot of room to move as far as surf performance goes. My 2c

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2012 Starboard 9'5" x 32" Widepoint." started by Southwesterly