Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2013 Fanatic Pro Wave or 2013 All Wave?

Created by brusier > 9 months ago, 13 May 2013
brusier
192 posts
13 May 2013 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Does anybody know what size Fanatic Pro Wave would suit me? I'm 95 kg and currently surf a 9'6" All wave sort of still learning but thinking about the future. I was thinking a 9'3" Pro wave cos it has a smaller volume and more advanced shape or I could just get a smaller All wave maybe a 8' 6"?.

nzal
17 posts
14 May 2013 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Where abouts are you riding ? How good are the waves ? How good a surfer are you?.. We have quite a few big guys ripping around on 9'2 & 8"10 allwaves & having a great time.. I am 85kg & use the 8'10 prowave on the clean wave days, use the 8'6 & 8'10 when choppy & sloppy ..

brusier
192 posts
16 May 2013 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

Surf in Dunedin. Intermediate level and was thinking of a smaller board and thought I might grow into the Pro Wave. It would mean I have the all wave and pro wave and choose depending on wave conditions. I suppose I should demo but that will be impossible in Dunedin. I must admit I like the look of the JP surf wide body 8"8 by 136 lts but I has always trusted the construction on my Fanatic boards as they are built to last I think.

t457118
124 posts
16 May 2013 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Didn't know you could get the JP wide body 8'8" in NZ. Where? Reviews great, I'm 82kegs, been standing up since January, on a 10'3", looking to move down also. Cheers

brusier
192 posts
16 May 2013 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

I dont know where you can get the JP's either but they look nice. The fanatics will be built to last, my Allwave is very strong.

t457118
124 posts
16 May 2013 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ah well thanks, yep lotsa Fanatics around, people happy with them. Checl out the Exocet 8'11" Fishes also, well priced.

brusier
192 posts
17 May 2013 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

The Exocet fishes are made with the best materials and labour at the Cobra factory in Thailand which make the other premium SUP brands, like Fanatic, Starboard, Naish etc.

I guess they are priced same as other such board in NZ. I am still thinking the Fanatic Pro Wave is a safe bet.

t457118
124 posts
17 May 2013 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah nah, $1,350 for the bamboo Fish, google NZ Sailing. But the Prowave would be awesome too.

supthecreek
2593 posts
17 May 2013 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Brusier
I was also surfing a 9'6 Allwave and was ready to down size... wanted to try something new.
I paddled flat-water and surfed the Exocet fish...
Surf was ust a 15 min. demo in choppy 3' waves...I caught a number of waves but it was not a fair test of the board.
A few guys around me are surfing them daily and doing well.
I was hesitant about the rocker on the board and the price of the Carbon

I was very excited about the 8'8 JP Wide Body Pro... but had heard of limits be cause of it being Quad only... plus the price

I borrowed a friends 8'10 Allwave and was thrilled with it in all kinds of waves.

I bought my 3rd Allwave... the NEW 8'10 with the LEDGE handle... waaaa frickin' hooo.

It is NOT the same board as the 9'6.... much snappier... but has the same drive, easy off the top (my 9'6 was too slow off the top)
down the line rail to rail pumping is a breeze and you can totally bury the rail on a lay down bottom turn.

I gotta say... I am relieved to know my new board is as tough as an Allwave... cuz it is

I LOVE the new handle... best in the busness... you can fit a 7mil mitt in there with room to spare

supthecreek
2593 posts
18 May 2013 12:17AM
Thumbs Up

I gotta add.... the Allwave will do something most "shorter" boards will NOT do...

I swear, with God as my witness... I got to "Hang 10" on my 8'10 the other day... not once... but twice.
For more than a moment... it felt controlled and... "Right"

The 1st time I was so psyched I rode it into the water at the end.
The 2nd time I was able to walk it back before close out.

I think being much shorter and thinner than my 9'6 allowed the fins to stay engaged.
I was able to stay perched, first "5" then "10"... for 30 yards while maneuvering the board from the tip.

I had just applied Re-Rek to the nose... Allwaves are good noseriders.... in my book... a great feature

brusier
192 posts
18 May 2013 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for this SupTheCreek. When i got my Allwave 9'6" I was about 105+kg and now down to 95kg , I must admit I hadn't really considered a smaller Allwave but after reading your post and seeing picture I'm think that looks like it would work for me. It looks like you are a heaps better surfer than me ( I come from a Windsurfing background and have only been sup surfing for a couple of years) and I had to google hang 10 cos I didn't know what it was :-).

I wonder if I could handle a 8"6' AllWave? 130 litres and 30 wide? Problem is demo in Dunedin is impossible.

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
18 May 2013 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

I gotta add.... the Allwave will do something most "shorter" boards will NOT do...

I swear, with God as my witness... I got to "Hang 10" on my 8'10 the other day... not once... but twice.
For more than a moment... it felt controlled and... "Right"

The 1st time I was so psyched I rode it into the water at the end.
The 2nd time I was able to walk it back before close out.

I think being much shorter and thinner than my 9'6 allowed the fins to stay engaged.
I was able to stay perched, first "5" then "10"... for 30 yards while maneuvering the board from the tip.

I had just applied Re-Rek to the nose... Allwaves are good noseriders.... in my book... a great feature

Hey Rick, be careful, I could be getting a man crush!!!. You and your board are looking terrific!!!

brusier
192 posts
24 May 2013 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting to read in other thread "Allwave progression" about the JP surf and the Surf Wide Body 8'8"x32" . I think a JP would be just what I am after , I just need to find a dealer in NZ. The whole demo thing is very frustrating as its just impossible where I live. Oh well I have a few months to get organised over winter anyway so rush.

I think the smaller volume and size would be so mush easier to handle , not just when surfing but in the wash and just paddling out thru the white water. I have broken a leash and lost my board twice and I think its is due to the size of the board on the end of the leash and my 95KG body in the water on the other side of the wave crest!

Slab
1080 posts
24 May 2013 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have an Allwave 9ft 6 - great board for surfing. I do have a bigger SUP which actually has much more thinnned out rails....it just feels closer to a surfboard to me so my next one will be a SUP with less volume in the tail (and overall.)

brusier
192 posts
25 May 2013 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

I found out the cost of JP boards in NZ! Wow, they cost a lot cf to similar boards by other premium brands. So it's not an option for me when I could get a carbon pro wave for the same price.

I recently put hole my board and had it repaired but I reckon the resale if virtually gone if you hole your board. So buying an expensive board just seems like a waste of money.

So back to the drawing board!

boarder paul
1952 posts
30 May 2013 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi bud, im in brighton,www.facebook.com/surfshack.brighton?ref=tn_tnmn

email sent, re sup

brusier
192 posts
31 May 2013 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Board Paul, might see ya on the Water.

boarder paul
1952 posts
31 May 2013 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, all good

I'm looking at the all wave 9,2 I was going for the 9,6 but too much float 90kg even the 9,2 is a floaty beast

Best board I ever used was a psh wide ripper

Feel free to call over to Brighton always a cold one in the fridge

boarder paul
1952 posts
31 May 2013 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

IMHO the pro wave at our weight is a lot of hard work, awesome board to surf but a bag of sore legs between sets
130 liters not a lot of guts there , for myself I'm not going under 150 liters and 30 wide

boarder paul
1952 posts
1 Jun 2013 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Can I get a idea of comparison from my old psh wide ripper and maybe my next purchase the fanatic all wave 9,2

brusier
192 posts
3 Jun 2013 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

I was out at Aramoana Spit this morning and had a great surf. Clean and 3-4 foot. The Allwave handled the conditions well and I also jumped on my mates SB 9'8" x 29 and caught a wave at the end. Just trying to get some idea re next board. The SB was floated me ok at 130 litres but a lot tippier. I think my next board will be one of these

Exocet Fish 8'11" X 32"
Volume 145 litres
Length 276 cm / 8'11"
Width 81.2 cm / 32"
AST Weight 9.2 kg (+/-6%)
Center Fin 12.5 cm US box
Side Fin?2 x FCS 9 cm

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

nice board who is selling them

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

oh my god, what a amazing price, hmmm i think i might just have to jump on the 8,11 x 32 seems stable but rails are quite turned down

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

seems good and stable i guess, but sharp turned down rails dont realy yell out stability, yes good and floaty board stable hmmm

brusier
192 posts
4 Jun 2013 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boarder paul said..

seems good and stable i guess, but sharp turned down rails dont realy yell out stability, yes good and floaty board stable hmmm

at 32 wide its gotta be stable? I don't understand why the turned down rails decrease the stability?

Cheers Bruce

supthecreek
2593 posts
4 Jun 2013 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

The Exocet Fish 8'11 x 32 145 ltrs is a pretty interesting board
I flat-water paddled one for a hour.
Then I had a short session in choppy small waves
I weighed 99 kg + Full 4/3 wetsuit.

It floated me fine and was comfortable on flat-water
In the crap waves I tried it, it was a challenge. It has a narrow nose and a drawn in tail, so it is tippier than the 32" width would suggest.

Several guys surf them in my area and do well on them. They are all 15 kg lighter than me.
One guy has the AST model Exocet... nice looking board and about $700 cheaper. Heavier than the super light carbon model.... but ok.

My 8'10 Allwave is much more stable in all conditions even though it is only 31" wide. Same liters on both boards.

Here are some pictures of the Exocet, to show float with me on it and rocker (it has a lot of rocker)

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

what i was meaning was if the rails are turned down which they are, and the tail being narrow this will explain why its more tippy vs the allwave

if the board was 9,1 i think it would be magic , im still looking at getting on but then im 88kg dry

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

turned down rails and a roll in the deck, equals a little unstable , if you look at the allwave it has a fairly flat deck and fat rails not tapered off if you like.

also add to that, the allwaves have a full nose equals more stability, those who remember the old 9x30 that starboard done it was a great short board bit turned like a dog, stable and all the good bits

nowdays we have boards like it but pulled in nose and tails, this takes out the stability part but add a great surfing dimention to it

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

bruiser, i think at out weight it will be fine, a little tippy at first but once you find the sweet spot you will not look back. again price wise hey lets give it a crack

AND FARK ME ITS A SEXY BEAST

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

BRUISER if you are undecided, my opinion is this either the exocet or the 8,11 all wave

allwave = same type of board, more stable in chop not as good a surfer

exocet, better surfer by a long shot, a bit more unstable in chop

Both have the same float for big guys

If at your weight the stability on the exocet was fine no problems then i would say its the best choice

im sure allwave are going at a better price

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Here you can compare the stability of them both just buy looking at the nose and tail

you can also see the HUGE difference in surfability when looking at the same thing, i.e pulled in nose

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2013 Fanatic Pro Wave or 2013 All Wave?" started by brusier