Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..

The Exocet Fish 8'11 x 32 145 ltrs is a pretty interesting board
I flat-water paddled one for a hour.
Then I had a short session in choppy small waves
I weighed 99 kg + Full 4/3 wetsuit.

It floated me fine and was comfortable on flat-water
In the crap waves I tried it, it was a challenge. It has a narrow nose and a drawn in tail, so it is tippier than the 32" width would suggest.

Several guys surf them in my area and do well on them. They are all 15 kg lighter than me.
One guy has the AST model Exocet... nice looking board and about $700 cheaper. Heavier than the super light carbon model.... but ok.

My 8'10 Allwave is much more stable in all conditions even though it is only 31" wide. Same liters on both boards

@SupTheCreek,

awesome, thanks for the pics, I wish I could get the carbon but AST for me any my wallet will be :-)

@PaulTheBoarder - I think it comes down to the $$ and I want a better surfing board. Remember I will be keeping my 9'6" allwave to use when its crappy.

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

sound perfect mate, just the same idea i have, im thinking the exocet and one not sure yet feel free to call me if you like 4811058

im think maybe the 8,11 allwave for chop or when the exocet is hard work that way the full nose on the allwave will give me the stability and a good day on the water and vise versa when not too much crap

brusier
192 posts
4 Jun 2013 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a photoshop of a few board side by side over the top of the Exocet fish. The fish has a grey outline on the two left hand boards and green outline on the two right hand boards. Its goes JP wide body, Exocet fish, Allwave and Prowave.

[URL=.html] [/URL]

You can see the The JP shape is a bit further forward, same as the pro wave. Were the all wave is got a rounded front end and wider tail . The Exocet Fish is closest to the Jp surf wide body but a little longer. The Pro wave if narrow at the same length and has a narrower tail. The Exocet is quite wide thru the tail then cuts in to the fish tail.

boarder paul
1952 posts
4 Jun 2013 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

to be safe i would go allwave 8,10 but i can see the attraction on the exocet its almost got more width in the nose at the mid point

brusier
192 posts
4 Jun 2013 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Order placed for one grey AST Exocet fish 8'10" x 32" Should be here by Friday! I'm sure I will get use to it and its only for surfing as I have two 14" race boards (Bark dominator and the Red Barge) under the house for when I get the urge to flat water or downwind paddle.

@BoarderPaul - If its crappy I will use my 9'6" x 32 Allwave, clean use my Exocet fish.

I think I have all possible conditions covered and if its snows then I can crank up my snowboard

boarder paul
1952 posts
5 Jun 2013 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

sound like a perfect quiver mate, just the boards im looking at as well exocet and maybe the 96 allwave but tempted on the 8,10

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
5 Jun 2013 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

brusier said..

Here is a photoshop of a few board side by side over the top of the Exocet fish. The fish has a grey outline on the two left hand boards and green outline on the two right hand boards. Its goes JP wide body, Exocet fish, Allwave and Prowave.

[URL=.html]

You can see the The JP shape is a bit further forward, same as the pro wave. Were the all wave is got a rounded front end and wider tail . The Exocet Fish is closest to the Jp surf wide body but a little longer. The Pro wave if narrow at the same length and has a narrower tail. The Exocet is quite wide thru the tail then cuts in to the fish tail.

While it is interesting to compare plan shapes, don't forget the rocker, it can change stability as well not to mention board speed.
Then there is the rail thickness and shape which has a lot to do with the way the board holds the wave. All these factors work together to make the board unique.
I think the only way to compare is to demo as many as you can. I am trying a few different boards at the moment, unfortunately we can't always demo the boards we want but it is surprising how some shapes work for my particular style and others don't.

brusier
192 posts
5 Jun 2013 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Demo where I live! Its never going to happen as local dealer on stocks one brand and doesn't demo his gear.

So we try an work out what we need online and by using simple techniques as overlaying images. I will give a full report on my new kit after I have used it.

t457118
124 posts
5 Jun 2013 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey brusier look forward to the review! will be a toss up between the Exocet fish, SAS 9' Carrier, Naish Mana 8'10", Allwave 8'6", Prowave 9'3", SB Converse, SB PR , and for me. so a few options in the 130-140 litre sub 9' range. cheers

brusier
192 posts
7 Jun 2013 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Got new Exocet Fish 8'10" by 32" today.

Very impressed with construction. Its firm to the depression test of pushing hard with my thumb. The finish is a sanded matt grey rails with a black detail line and centre line. The white deck is nice and the go pro fitting and leash fitting are nice. The pad has a kick pad 3" long by 1/2 inch high and its suits the board. The FCS fins are 12 cm and centre fin is 12.5 with a funky pattern. Very , very nice. One other thing is handle positioning is perfect and not bow or stern down. Might be a small thing but it gets on my nerves when you cant carry the board easily.

Measurements are 32" wide by 8'10" long not 8'11" as printed on board (i measured ) and 4 inches thick. Bottom shape is single concave in front 2 feet to flat and then at 4 foot mark to tail is a slight v i.e. highest at centre to out sides. The rails are very full at front and start to narrow out from about 5 foot mark to end with the fish tail being 1 1/2 inches deep. In fact the last foot is quite sharply cut in i.e. from a nice curve it almost straightens out to the fish tail and the rails narrow considerably. Weight is ? I need to try and weigh tomorrow if I can find some scales.

Rocker is profile , bow 8 inches" and stern 3" high. I will take some picture outside asap.

Hopefully get out on the water in next couple of days.

t457118
124 posts
7 Jun 2013 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Brusier very comprehensive "dry" review. Interested in the wet test.

brusier
192 posts
8 Jun 2013 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Some pre wave tests , i'm 95kgs

Incredibly stable in flat water. Waves will be no problem. Hopefully wave test tomorrow

supthecreek
2593 posts
11 Jun 2013 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Just an update on the 8'10 Allwave

Got it in some juicy OH waves on Saturday at the Wellfleet SUPatlon. Surf contest had great waves
Story and lots of photos here:
www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=20810.0

Here is a picture of me on the 8'10.... it was rock solid.

supthecreek
2593 posts
11 Jun 2013 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Forgot to add
they made us wear hockey shirts in the contest... mine was a big yellow tent
it never made it back to shore... it pulled over my head and beat me till I let go of my paddle and the shirt was gone.

Worked out well... in the finals I got to wear my rash guard instead of a tent

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2013 Fanatic Pro Wave or 2013 All Wave?" started by brusier