Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2013 JP Australia sup's

Created by AkeG > 9 months ago, 22 Jan 2013
AkeG
132 posts
22 Jan 2013 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

I understand the 2013 line of JP's have pretty much just arrived (and have not yet made it here to the US) but I'm looking for more detailed feedback on the boards, specifically the Fusion models.

Went ahead and put an advanced order in already, would still love to see some more real photos (side shots, rockers, surf shots etc...) if anyone out there have any to share.

Thanks!

Pete T
WA, 67 posts
22 Jan 2013 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

AkeG,

The website gives you a good idea of the boards. With the Fusion models have a look around at the Cabrinha SUPS from 2011 / 2012 as these are pretty much the same. As Cabrinha are no longer doing SUPS as both JP & Cabrinha are owned by the Pryde Group so they ahve joined forces for 2013. I have seen the fusion and they look great.

Hope this helps

Pete T.

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
22 Jan 2013 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

I can get some on water shots of my fusion next weekend and post for you if you want. If you were hoping for a surf oriented allrounder you have made a very good choice. The board has significant nose lift and nice entry rocker into a slightly flatter mid section and nice tail lift.
Theres stacks of curve in the board to handle anything you could ever throw at it - but it still has lots of glide and paddles in with ease, even on small and fat waves.

AkeG
132 posts
23 Jan 2013 4:04AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks again, BB pretty excited about the new board....can't get here fast enough for me!

Photos would be very much appreciated! Here It's about minus 15 degrees C with winds gusting to 20 knots outside....pretty cold walk from my studio/shop to the house today. 6/5/4 wetsuits all around at the beach have got me thinking of how warm it must be right now down under.

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
25 Jan 2013 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

The top pic is a simple backyard shot showing the loverly outline of the board and the bottom pic was taken 2 wks ago - gives you a bit of an ideal how much nose lift there is.

Sailryder
QLD, 12 posts
8 May 2013 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks people! MY wife and I are thinking seriously about getting a couple of SUP's (so that I have something to do on days then kiteboarding is out of the question). We have done some research around the local shops and almost settled on a Naish Mana 10'0" GS for me and a Naish Mana 9'5" GS for the bride. Today we stumbled into a shop that stocked JP-Australia and were recommended a couple of Fusion Wood Sandwich (9'8" and 10'8" models). The price/deal was very good I must say. Your comments and pics have pretty much convinced me that there will be a couple of JP-Australia sticks on top of the car in the very near future.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
9 May 2013 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

When do the small performance ones come out that Keahi , Jackson and brrrmm brrrmm are riding.

SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
9 May 2013 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
green menace said..
When do the small performance ones come out that Keahi , Jackson and brrrmm brrrmm are riding.

Got 8"0's in stock now Menace

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
10 May 2013 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Recently got myself a 9'2" Pro Edition. All I can say is WOW!!! Fast, loose, stable, easy to maneuver in the lineup. Seriously exciting board to ride. Couldn't be happier!!!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
10 May 2013 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said...
Recently got myself a 9'2" Pro Edition. All I can say is WOW!!! Fast, loose, stable, easy to maneuver in the lineup. Seriously exciting board to ride. Couldn't be happier!!!

Actually said a bit more than wow. But you get my drift.

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
10 May 2013 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Zeusman said...

Hi Zeusman

How does it compare to the 9'0" Hokua? (Mainly stability, paddle speed/glide and also feel once you are on the wave)

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
10 May 2013 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flying High said..

Zeusman said..

Zeusman said...

Hi Zeusman

How does it compare to the 9'0" Hokua? (Mainly stability, paddle speed/glide and also feel once you are on the wave)

For me personally, I've found it paddles better into a wave. Its more stable. I found myself out the back in between waves mucking around doing Zane Schweitzer like pivot turns going round & round in circles. On the Hokua I gotta keep paddling just to stay upright. Its more controlable in critical turns when smacking the lip or goughing on rail. Its lighter by more than a kilo(I weighed them both) & just gave me an overall more confident feeling in every way.
I walked home after my surf yesterday arv with the biggest smile on my face & was so surfed out I slept like a log...... Then I got up at 3am & went to work..... Can't win 'em all I guess.

This board is definitely a keeper for me.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
12 May 2013 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone got anything to say about the 8'0 pro?

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
12 May 2013 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone been riding the 8'0 pro?

Geoff1
QLD, 38 posts
12 May 2013 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

hey menace, the 8'0 is now a production board and are available at either surf fx on the goldy or I can definitely organise one for you. Surf wise they are the best 8'0 ive ridden super fast and light and are super easy to maneuver. they have a bit more beef in them compared to most stock 8'0 boards but they have managed to keep the rails quite sharp, also they have more foam in the front end instead of the usual thinned out nose but trust me it makes it surf better more anything. feel free to try mine any time give us a p.m and we can sort it out

Cam Gillies
SA, 216 posts
12 May 2013 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Geoff1 said..
hey menace, the 8'0 is now a production board and are available at either surf fx on the goldy or I can definitely organise one for you. Surf wise they are the best 8'0 ive ridden super fast and light and are super easy to maneuver. they have a bit more beef in them compared to most stock 8'0 boards but they have managed to keep the rails quite sharp, also they have more foam in the front end instead of the usual thinned out nose but trust me it makes it surf better more anything. feel free to try mine any time give us a p.m and we can sort it out

Hey Geoff, how's the smaller customs you've been trying compare to the 8'0?? From memory I think you were riding a 7'10??? I've had the 8'0 for the last 6 months and a big fan, but you know how it is, the grass is always greener.....

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
12 May 2013 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

What is the thickness of the 8'0 , is it carbon pro this one . I heard you've been ripping on the new beast Geoff ? Is that more than before , I tried the 8'3 hokua , it went well as long as there was a bit of juice in the wave , how do you compare the 2 ?

Geoff1
QLD, 38 posts
12 May 2013 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Cam, I've been ridding a 7'6 x 27 on the side. Having a smaller board definitely opens up a lot more possibilities but honestly I still ride my 8'0 80% of the time. For me it felt once I went to small I lost a lot of drive, maybe it has something small to do with the shape but it is still nice to ride when the waves have a bit more punch and you don't have to work your speed up. unfortunately Noosa is gutless for about 360 days a year! saying all that Keahi got a 7'4 x 27 made with a v bottom and wasn't that much different outline to my 7'6 and it was the complete opposite to ride, super Fast and flowy. hope that helps

Geoff1
QLD, 38 posts
12 May 2013 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

Menace, its still under 4inches thick but as I said the thickness isn't just in the center of the board its pretty spread out but still has a real shorty tail on it you would dominate on it haha. The pro models aren't actually carbon I don't think just a super light weight build but still quite strong, They come from the cobra factory same as all your leading companies that all pride the selves on strength. its nothing like the 8'3 hokua more like the 8'0 with a little more stability but with the same handling.

Piros
QLD, 6996 posts
13 May 2013 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a video of the first production JP 8-0. I shot it a few weeks back.

roachy
NSW, 387 posts
14 May 2013 5:34AM
Thumbs Up

That looked pretty good under jacksons feet ,is that carbon the new boards ? what size jp are you riding Piros ?

TommmyO
22 posts
14 May 2013 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Nice video!

TommmyO
22 posts
14 May 2013 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Back here in the states I was looking at the JP 8'6" or 8'10" Surf. But was told they have to much rocker? I have the 8'2" Wide Body in carbon but don't like the quad in bigger surf. I wish it had a middle fin box. I would like to have one added but don't want to ruin the board.

wongi
QLD, 51 posts
14 May 2013 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

My wife loves the fusion,so stable and will catch anything.

momasfolly
VIC, 237 posts
14 May 2013 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

I love my 8 8 Surf wide body.
Thinking about getting a centre fin FCS plug fitted.

Thinking.

Piros
QLD, 6996 posts
14 May 2013 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
green menace said..

That looked pretty good under jacksons feet ,is that carbon the new boards ? what size jp are you riding Piros ?

The pro boards aren't carbon (no JP surf boards are) , it's a composite mix that makes them super strong but still has a little flex. I'm on the 8-6 but have a 8-2 coming in July. I'll still keep the 8-6 as it's my everyday board , weight wise at 93kg I won't be able to go below the 8-2.

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
16 May 2013 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Flying High said..

Zeusman said..

Zeusman said...

Hi Zeusman

For me personally, I've found it paddles better into a wave. Its more stable. I found myself out the back in between waves mucking around doing Zane Schweitzer like pivot turns going round & round in circles. On the Hokua I gotta keep paddling just to stay upright. Its more controlable in critical turns when smacking the lip or goughing on rail. Its lighter by more than a kilo(I weighed them both) & just gave me an overall more confident feeling in every way.
I walked home after my surf yesterday arv with the biggest smile on my face & was so surfed out I slept like a log...... Then I got up at 3am & went to work..... Can't win 'em all I guess.

This board is definitely a keeper for me.

Just wondering if you compare it to the Naish Hokua 9'10", does it also require larger waves to get it working or will it work in smaller waves as well.
I am sort of hoping its a bit more multi-purpose than the Hokua 9'10" in the smaller as well as larger waves.
I demo'd an 8'8" surf wide in a really small shore break - a great fun board. It surprised me how good it was with the 'squat looking' shape, I thought it would have too much nose area to manoeuvre but I was wrong, the rocker, rail shape and pulled in tail just make it work. Although I am not sure if it will work in slightly larger waves with the wide shape.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
17 May 2013 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

Its nothing like the 9'10. Its much closer to the 9'0 in terms of its surfability. Fun in all sizes from 2 ft to overhead.

FlyingKiwi
QLD, 218 posts
17 May 2013 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

green menace said..

The pro boards aren't carbon (no JP surf boards are) , it's a composite mix that makes them super strong but still has a little flex. I'm on the 8-6 but have a 8-2 coming in July. I'll still keep the 8-6 as it's my everyday board , weight wise at 93kg I won't be able to go below the 8-2.

How come the pro boards are advertised as carbon Piros? push the price up?
I love my 9'2 sic fast board, but will eventually drop into the 8'6 area (85kg)

One of the best boards I have ridden

Sailryder
QLD, 12 posts
30 Jul 2013 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Announcing the arrival of our new twins (obviously not identical). A beautiful 11.6kg bouncing baby boy (10'2" Fusion) and a gorgeous 11.2kg baby girl (9'9" Wide Body). Both have settled in nicely to their nursery. Looking forward to the weekend when we can take the little ones out for their first swim.

bigman
QLD, 227 posts
30 Jul 2013 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

I have been riding the JP 8'10 pro for the last six months and found it pretty well the perfect board in a variety of conditions, ie point breaks, beach breaks, and very stable in lumpy conditions.
I didn't find it had too much rocker with fairly good glide for a wave board.
I've now decided to get out of my comfort zone and step down to the 8'6 after Jon from Surf FX giving me one to demo, I couldn't resist trading the 8'10 for the 8'6.
This little board absolutely rips, lost a bit of stability and glide, floatation is good at 110 L with my 87 kgs.
Only thing I have found is that my lower back is sore, which i didn't have from riding the 8'10, but i do have a bad back and being on the wrong side of 50 doesn't help, oh yeah, conditions were lumpy........, think thats enough excuses

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2013 JP Australia sup's" started by AkeG