Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2013 Naish Glide 14

Created by JustCruising > 9 months ago, 17 Jan 2013
JustCruising
74 posts
17 Jan 2013 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys

I am looking for a good long distance board for sheltered coastal waters. I am about 175cm tall and 70kg.

I have been impressed with what I have read online regarding the Naish Glide 14. Unfortunately I have yet been able to actually see the board in person. It seems 14' boards are not as popular over in NZ or maybe retailers are reluctant to give up so much floor space?

I have seen this awesome post from DJ on the zone regarding the 12'6
www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

Is this indicative of the 14' too?

Has anyone got a good picture that shows how much rocker is in the latest shape and how much of the nose is actually in contact with the water?

My thinking from racing yachts is that I would prefer to maximize the waterline and rocker is more important for downwinding. Although I have recently seen some comments that seem to dispel this idea so I would be interested in opinions on this too.

Currently my options and thoughts are below. The choice is bewildering and I can't demo them all due to availability so if anyone here wants to add their 2 cents feel free! I would love to narrow the list and concentrate on demoing the cream.

Naish Glide GX 14 - Great reviews but can't view it!
Hobie E Series 14 - Nice shape with a good mixer or durability and light weight probably a front runner
Jimmy Lewis Seacher 12'6 - Prefer a 14 footer but beautiful construction/quality. You can see and feel the quality in a JL board.
Fanatic Falcon 14 X 27.5 - Only available in carbon, concerned about durability
Coreban Edge 14 - Interesting shape, possibly suited for people larger than me. I need to demo.

Thanks in advance

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
17 Jan 2013 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'd be choosing between the Naish Glide and the Fanatic Falcon.

DJ

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
17 Jan 2013 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Your assumptions from yachting are fairly correct. Displacement bows will be faster in general but won't be as easy in side chop / side wind and typically won't turn as well. So it depends what you expect to be going out in.

You can see video and a profile of the Glide on Naish's website and there are plenty of videos on youtube and vimeo. A lot of good ones are from DJ and are on seabreeze.

At your weight, a lower volume board is good. All rounders such as Surftech/Bark Dominator, Starboard Allstar & Fanatic Falcon seem to be good choices for light paddlers.

I'd get a 14' if you're mainly doing long distance flatwater/inner harbour as they glide better between strokes than a 12'6" which is good whether you're cruising or racing.

Good luck!

DirkG
52 posts
18 Jan 2013 3:27AM
Thumbs Up

Can only talk about the Glide 14 and only about the predecessor from 2010/11 (GS/AST). Sounds like the current model is improved with lower nose rocker and some other details. However, I already like my Glide a lot as a really versatile long distance board. I do not have comparisons though especially which board is faster, etc. I am not into racing but do it as fitness and fun paddling.
At 1,79cm/75kg it is easy to paddle. I take my kids on it as well. I use it on dead flat water on our inner city lake (Hamburg/Germany) but also on the river which goes into Europe´s second biggest harbour. Lots of current, it can be windy and choppy and when some of these container giants or the Queen Mary II comes along you can catch some runners. It all does this really good. Is it the best of your list? I don´t know but you would have a lot of fun with it.
The GS version is really durable.

JustCruising
74 posts
18 Jan 2013 4:26AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Guys

Looks like the Naish and Fanatic seem to be the way to go but I still like the look of that Hobie!

I wish Jimmy Lewis did a tourer in 14' as i was really impressed with the look and feel of there boards. It's hard to describe but you can just tell when something it well put together. I asked about the Sabre but they seemed to steer me away from it saying it was too tippy for touring.

Snowie, it's interesting you mention the Dominator because I have seen one in a shop and initally wrote it off as too fragile for the pro elite construction. Then I found out that it is actually tuflite. Found out online that Surftech did make it in tuflite a couple of years ago so it must be old stock. Have to say though this board is pretty sexy to me

If you are only touring you may as well look good doing it

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
18 Jan 2013 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Don't quote me but I think I read somewhere that some early Dominators were getting the wrong sticker put on them as they came out of the factory. My training buddy has a Dom.

I do like the Glide and that Surftech on the vid. I bought a SIC Bullet-14 myself recently but didn't mention it before as you probably can't get your hands on one. It was very nearly a Glide instead and the main reason was that the Bullet is just dead sexy.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2013 Naish Glide 14" started by JustCruising