Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2013 jpfusion 10' vs alwave 9'6 big bucks

Created by foodge777 > 9 months ago, 19 Jun 2013
foodge777
NSW, 3 posts
19 Jun 2013 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hello all, I,m 5ft10", 95kg, 35+yrs experience surfing,"bug has hit" new to sup.Demoed alwave 9'10",lopez 10'x34 surfmusic,10'almerrick caddie.Looking for stability,"magic-carpet" type suited for waves.Ideal volume maybe around 170litres,and reading this forum final 2 are the 10' fusion and 9'6 alwave?Advice on which one would be appreciated, thanks.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
19 Jun 2013 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 10'8 JP Fusion love it. I know others that have had both the Allwave and the JP and JP wins hands down. Similar size to you

straddie
QLD, 104 posts
19 Jun 2013 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

I demoed the allwave and the fusion and many other boards, ended up buying the Fusion 10'2 and I am SUPER happy with it. Very stable, surfs well and good in flat water as well. The stepped down rails seem to make it very easy to turn but plenty of volume in the centre of the board.

supthecreek
2610 posts
19 Jun 2013 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

foodge
I have owned:
Allwaves - 9'10 + 9'6 + 8'10
Cabrinah (Fusion) 10'8
I am 65, 48 yrs surfing, 3rd year SUS, currently 93 k

A lot depends on how you surf and how your balance is now.
If your balance skills are weak... go bigger & wider (nose & tail)
If you are pretty comfortable on a SUP as a newbie... go smaller and expect a few weeks of discomfort.
The trade off is: you will get a board that will suit you for a while. Important, since you are not talking about entry level priced boards.

I really like your board choices. They are all good and have different qualities.
Lopez 10x34 - super stable, easy learner... but you may outgrow quickly
Al Merrick Caddie 10' - Never seen one but love the way Chris Griffith surfs the 9'7 here

it's a Older design by a great shaper that does lot well - turning and noseriding
Fusion 10' (I think you mean 10'2 x 32) is a really nice board and will be an fairly easy learner. I have not surfed the 10'2, but my experience with the 10'8 was that it did not noseride at all.... on a board that size... I want to noseride. I sold it in 30 days, and picked up the Allwave 9'10 as my "Big" board

I have lost weight along the way and keep downsizing. I am currently on the Allwave 8'10 but could easily move to the Allwave 8'6.
My respect for the Allwaves is well documented here because I think they are a perfect board for many of us in similar situations... ie:
Good surfers that are getting older, hence we like performance and stability

Why I like the Allwave
The wider nose and tail coupled with thicker rails make even the 8'6 very stable
The Tail rocker makes it turn like a shortboard... it can be surfed in a fixed stance (but who would want to?)
The wide concave nose makes it an EXCELLENT noserider ( I have hung 10 twice on my 8'10)
The HRS construction is tough
The new models have the best handle I have ever seen... but so do the JP's
I have surfed weak 1' waves and juicy overhead this week on my Allwave 8'10... perfect in all conditions
It carries speed in mush and holds like glue in the juice.
Added bonus... they flat-water paddle extremely well - I do daily 6 mile paddles on my 9'6 Allwave daily if no surf

My recommondation:
If you want performance -push yourself a bit - demo the 9'2 Allwave
I surfed the 9'2 last week and it felt very big & stable coming off my 8'10... I think you would quickly adapt.
Each size in the Allwave line is a geometric step... similar.... but very noticeable performance levels.

If you are really looking for easier learning and a board that will grow with you... the 9'6 Allwave & 10'2 Fusion are a toss up.. if you can go carbon on the JP... the scales would tip JP if you have deep pockets.

Here's a good video of the 8'6 Allwave in small weak waves with 1 nice set wave. It shows the versatility of ripping and noseriding.

Slab
1098 posts
20 Jun 2013 1:41AM
Thumbs Up

Got a 9ft 6 Allwave and I am a wee bit lighter than SUP the Creek.

The board is really good - surfs well and can turn quite sharp when needed with the feet back a bit - back foot over the fins and it really turns!

It noserides superb and is very stable. There's lots more that this board can do and I'll have a good year more out of it before downsizing...even though I'm sure I can go quite a bit shorter already. Its volume and easy surfing has made really weak conditions surfable when other proners struggle to get a wave.

Its a great board when it is choppy - saves too many falls but in clean stuff you do itch for a smaller board with thinner rails.

It gets into waves easy and has reasonable glide.

Basically it is a very good all round surfing SUP - but you may want to downsize if your waves are pretty decent where you are.

foodge777
NSW, 3 posts
20 Jun 2013 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Many thanks for all the advice and information.Came close to buying the fusion but didnt happen,ended up getting a brand spanking new starboard 9'5"x32" widepoint from the boys at cronulla standup paddleboard shop.Still got stitches in me foot from stingray attack so hanging to out try the board!Again thankyou all the for the advice and Thommy+Todd at cronulla.

Slab
1098 posts
21 Jun 2013 3:05AM
Thumbs Up

good choice - considered one too.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2013 jpfusion 10' vs alwave 9'6 big bucks" started by foodge777