Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2013 quatro 8'6

Created by bolocom > 9 months ago, 18 Apr 2013
bolocom
NSW, 182 posts
18 Apr 2013 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

I am 82kg 5'10 and used to ride a fanatic all wave. great board for junk but wanted something looser. Got this baby, and from the first wave was pure love. it is 30' wide and 128l but with a dome deck feels smaller. It has a lot of rocker so no issues dropping late and when you step on the tail you can trough it around; it feels amazing, super fast and loose. I was going to keep the allwave for small junk, but this thing somehow goes really well in those condition too, it is actually great fun...it is a great allround board
Super light, I think it looks good and not sure about durability but they are all made in Cobra, so it should be good.
Comes with 5 fcs inserts, tried it as a quad and didnt like it, IMO it goes a lot better as a thruster, I am using large Nexus fins.
hope this helps someone looking for a great allround wave board

robbo1111
NSW, 626 posts
18 Apr 2013 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear, I'll be in Maui next month and one of these baby's is on my radar.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
18 Apr 2013 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Quattro makes pretty things, just saying

Rossall
WA, 695 posts
19 Apr 2013 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

What other sizes Sean doing as stock models

Windoc
385 posts
22 Apr 2013 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, nice board!

I've been riding the 8.6 since last September at 90 kgs plus 5 mm wetsuit, boots, gloves, etc. It's VERY floaty at my weight. In fact, I'd love to see 10-15 L shaved off with a flatter deck to reduce the corkiness. I've surfed it with tons of different fin set ups (twin, thruster, tri, quad) and settled on a small quad set for balanced looseness and speed.On larger waves the thruster set up is sweet. The stock fins are worth upgrading from. The nose width appears to be very wide and invites paddle strikes into a pretty thin and egg-shelly skin (cracks very easily into the carbon and foam underneath). While the board is pretty light, it could be more durable (Quatro production sailboards are better in this regard). The rails scuff very easily and turn black underneath the thin blue paint.

From a surfing perspective, the bottom turn on this board is sweet: very grippy and secure even at higher riding speeds. The board seems to generate speed pretty well. Off the top I feel it could be looser (a bit more rocker would be sweet). All in all it's a very nice board, but the surface coating needs to be beefed up. A narrower nose and more pulled in tail would be good to see as well. It's a great first shorter SUP with solid performance, but compared to a carbon 8.5 Starby Pro for example, it falls just a little bit short in performance, weight, and durability (it's not nearly as expensive however).

The big surprise for me was SUP sailing it. It was very loose on a wave compared to other SUPs I've windsurfed which made it very fun.

This is Quatro's first shorter, higher performance production SUP, and they are releasing some other sub-8.6 more aggressive, higher performance models this year. Hoping to ride one soon!

bolocom
NSW, 182 posts
22 Apr 2013 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Can, what fins do you use as quad? I got it without fins, cause they were plastic and used different fcs...so far I am sold with the large nexus.
Re construction I didn't experience any chips on the rails, and man did I hit them...we will see but I was just thinking yesterday how strong it is...
Haven't tried it with a sail yet but I will...good to know it goes well.
It is my first truly "short" sup and so far I am very happy...surfed it yesterday in good solid surf (5') and went amazing...I honestly think the volume is spot on for me, but maybe I will change my mind over time. Thanks for your comments

Windoc
385 posts
24 Apr 2013 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Quad: FCS GX-Q rears, FCS PC3 Small front fins. Still loose and fast. Using only the GX-Q rears as a twin was fun too...

bolocom
NSW, 182 posts
10 Jun 2013 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Update, this board is a beauty. Had it out in all sort of conditions, it likes hollow waves and it truly feels like a short board...very fast and loose.
I got used to the quad setup, I use tc aqualine fronts and fcs stretch double foiled backs with the little red knubster...thought it was a joke but IMO improved the feeling of the quad.
Constructions is excellent not a chip so far and been surfing a lot.
Board is very stable, even in choppy conditions. It gets tricky on bigger waves, over 5', due to 30" width...but in those conditions I rather surf anyway. I couldn't be happier, highly recommended.

robbo1111
NSW, 626 posts
10 Jun 2013 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

I picked up one in Maui last month and love it. SUP-ed at Lanes, Sprecks, thousands peaks and kihei from 2-5 foot. Used it in thruster mode with MFC fins. I left it in Maui but will eventually try it in Quad mode later in the year. Interested to see how it goes in Sydney beach breaks.

bolocom
NSW, 182 posts
11 Jun 2013 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

good one robbo, the board was designed for lanes...in sydney goes amazingly well, specially as a quad, when it gets "bigger" i change to thruster. I didnt have a doubt that it would go well in hollow better waves, but the surprise was that it goes fantastic in sydneys junk. I think it is a perfect allround wave board and at 128L spot on for my 85kg...

bolocom
NSW, 182 posts
12 Jun 2013 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Robbo, here is video of the board in small bondi junk windswell...

robbo1111
NSW, 626 posts
12 Jun 2013 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bolocom said..
Robbo, here is video of the board in small bondi junk windswell

Pity I dont have a video of me wiping out at Lanes, having the leg rope wrap around my neck, getting dragged along the reef, swallowing litres of water and nearly drowning!! Then to cap it off paddling back in at Hookipa, miss-time the sets and end up on the rocks - now that was a fun day!

bolocom
NSW, 182 posts
13 Jun 2013 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

... trapped in hookipas inside with a 128l board as a necklace it is not my idea of fun...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2013 quatro 8'6" started by bolocom