Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2014 Naish's ?

Created by paddlepop > 9 months ago, 14 Jul 2013
Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
23 Jul 2013 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Actually, this year the bags are only included with GX & LE boards. All GS & GT boards don't come with bags included in the price. You can have one for i believ $50 at time of the board purchase or pay $100 later on.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
23 Jul 2013 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

All that being said, 50-100 is still pretty cheap for a SUP board bag.

foamballer
NSW, 406 posts
23 Jul 2013 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

I thought they marketed the bags as being "eco-friendly" as they claim it reduces the amount of packaging required to ship them by X%. By saying this Naish are effectively saying that the bags are "packaging" not a full blown board bag... a neat little ploy on their part.
I use my bag all the time - keeps the board clean and cool, but I wouldn't rely on it to protect against damage.

Redfezz
NSW, 73 posts
24 Jul 2013 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

Well yes I,m probably complaining about the free bag you get when you purchase a $1800 board not that it counts ,its just disappointing the fix would cost so little on top of the purchase price.
Thomo I bought the 2013 hokua GT and can not wait to get it in some swell, the small ankle slappers I ve had it on it feels loose , fast and amazingly stable to paddle.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
24 Jul 2013 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

All that being said, 50-100 is still pretty cheap for a SUP board bag.

I got that wrong gang. Its $100 at time of purchase or $150 after.

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
24 Jul 2013 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

My take on these newer carbon surf sups such as the Fanatic and the new Hokua is you need a softer bottom of the board to offset the stiffness of the carbon construction elsewhere, so yes you will have to make a trade off if you want a board that has some give in it and it may not be so strong on the bottom of the board/s.

Feel free to suggest otherwise but that's my take on things.

PS im pretty sure the "ECO BAG" stands for........ ECOnomical build quality.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
31 Jul 2013 2:22AM
Thumbs Up

2014 naish's from m2o

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
31 Jul 2013 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

I got a look at the new Naish surf LE yesterday, yes its indeed light and looks really good but yes it looks as if it wont win any strength competitions.
........................I would probably break one in about a month or two I reckon.

ghost4man
408 posts
1 Aug 2013 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
maxeaus said..
I got a look at the new Naish surf LE yesterday, yes its indeed light and looks really good but yes it looks as if it wont win any strength competitions. ........................I would probably break one in about a month or two I reckon.

Hi mate,

It might be a bit early to say and I would insert here that I have not ridden one just yet but I am hearing the same thing as what you are suggesting in the above. It would be good if we got some unbiased, objective viewpoints on this as it is being promoted as a high performance board but there "could" be question marks over its durability and given its price tag it wont win too many fans if that is the case.

Cheers Ozzie

geared4knots
TAS, 2647 posts
1 Aug 2013 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of pics of the 2014 mana 9.5 and nalu 10.6. The mana has become a lot more refined!
just picked them up, if anyone in southern Tassie wants to check them out give me a buzz

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
1 Aug 2013 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
geared4knots said..

A couple of pics of the 2014 mana 9.5 and nalu 10.6. The nalu has become a lot more refined!
The Mana looks brilliant. Does it surf as good as it looks? Is there one a little shorter that has a similar shape?
sorry about the questions but it's the first time since the 2009 9'6" Hokua that I've been excited about a Naish board, oh and do they come in Carbon?

geared4knots
TAS, 2647 posts
1 Aug 2013 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, meant mana has become a lot more refined!, yes the smaller shorter models do have a similar shape along,
Make you just want one doesnt it!!.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
2 Aug 2013 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

I wonder who shaped the new Mana.

DJ

TJR
155 posts
2 Aug 2013 5:36AM
Thumbs Up

So the are dropping the Nalu 10'6.5 tri fin and replacing with 10'6 single fin??? That's a real shame as the 10'6.5 is a fantastic all round board and surfs great on a small thruster set up as well as a big single. It's our best selling board as it is so versatile

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
2 Aug 2013 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Welcome 2014, you gotta love this time of year. Exciting with all the new product to look at. I'll try get a few answers for the above.

- Board bags. Naish did implement an ECO-Bag on their boards some years ago. The packaging on your boards is included in the price some where way down the line that no one really sees. Naish looked at the amount of waste product produced and made a more sustainable alternative, a board bag that you could use and help keep your board a little better protected for general used (i.e. in the can, ion the roof...). Now Naish did this with no cost passed onto the consumer, the extra cost to do this was absorbed by Naish. unfortunately due to circumstances round the globe times are a bit tougher and to continue to stay price effective, the decision was made to remove the bag, but add it in at a cost price for added value if the customer wanted. Another fact was when a Naish board was on the rack next to and ABC brand board, the extra value of the board bag was not looked at until after the customer had decided which board to purchase, so the shelf value was not there in majority of cases (I know in some cases it may have been). The new board bags that you can opt to purchase with your Naish 2014 board is of higher quality, more handles and a shoulder strap.

- The New Hokua LE. These boards are a step ahead in construction than anything else on the production market. Built to lead the progression in SUP surf riding, the New Naish Hokua LE range are a full 100% 3k Prepreg Carbon bottom laminated onto the foam in a similar fashion to a top end performance surfboard, while the deck is a 100% Carbon-Kevlar composite for extra strength and durability. These boards are extremely light, and sometimes this does come with a weigh off. Any SUP-Surfer can break a board, any board, bail out in front of a huge closeout without thinking about your board and damage is potentially a consequence. But ridden correctly by suited riders, the Naish Hokua LE will deliver all the durability needed at a mind blowing performance (just like in Surfing). Team riders Beau Nixon, Kai Lenny, Koby Kerbox and many others have been riding these boards for nearly 2 months now at Sunset, Ho'okipa, Teahupoo and many other heavy breaks with no issues on durability. Naish has also gone the extra step in finish with these boards. Naish achieves the weight by not following carbon board product of standard, bogging, sanding, painting then sanding again to get the brushed carbon finish that everyone seems to relate with light weight. Naish has tinted the resign in the pre-preg which means no painting, pre-preg gives an exact right ratio of resign to cloth meaning the boards come out on weight with little to no real finishing required. A little gloss on the rails and some decals and she's ready to go at sub 6.5kgs in some sizes.

- Shaping and designing. Kai and Michi working close in hand with legend shapers Randy and Rick Naish develop and design the range. The New MANA range had been refined to deliver a true surfing feel while keeping the ease and stability renowned to the MANA. Pulling in the nose and tail outlines and reducing some volume in the nose and tail along side lowering and sharpening/refining the rail profile have produces a surfing machine. normally this would come at the cost of stability, which Naish have counteracted by increasing the width by 1" on the 10' & 9'5".

I hope this helps a bit with the questions. I've tried to not pout any personal opinion into the rides of the boards (hard when the boards absolutely rip!). But for a one line IMO, the Hokua LE's are looser, faster, lighter and deliver more speed into and more importantly out of turns, for once actually achieving a true surfing feel from the pit to the lip, while the Mana have produced a board that will excite you even in good walling surf, and also entering a fun 8'5" size that I personally am riding about 50% of the time, the Glide 14' is amazing especially for someone my size, i am faster and have way more fun on this board.

Enjoy looking at and demoing the new Naish 2014 SUP range, you will be excited.

Kind regards,

JB

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
2 Aug 2013 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JB said..

Welcome 2014, you gotta love this time of year. Exciting with all the new product to look at. I'll try get a few answers for the above.

- while the Mana have produced a board that will excite you even in good walling surf, and also entering a fun 8'5" size that I personally am riding about 50% of the time, .

Enjoy looking at and demoing the new Naish 2014 SUP range, you will be excited.

Kind regards,

JB

Hi JB, just a clarification, no carbon on the Manas? The 8'5" you are riding is a Mana? If so what are the specs on that. I tried to google the 2014 catalogue but had no luck even when on the Naish website.
Cheers and thanks in advance Leroy.

Windgenuity
NSW, 648 posts
Site Sponsor
2 Aug 2013 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Leroy13,

All the new product information should be up on the websites either today or tomorrow as official release is August 1st (USA) so today. The Mana rage comes in GS & GT construction which you have seen in the range for some years now.

The 8'5" Mana is awesome, comes only in GT construction at this point. 8'5" x 30.5" x 4.5" (132ltr), surfs amazing.

Anyway it will all be easy soon, with content being updated and released as we speak online.

JB

Jradedmondo
NSW, 635 posts
2 Aug 2013 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windgenuity said..

Hi Leroy13,

All the new product information should be up on the websites either today or tomorrow as official release is August 1st (USA) so today. The Mana rage comes in GS & GT construction which you have seen in the range for some years now.

The 8'5" Mana is awesome, comes only in GT construction at this point. 8'5" x 30.5" x 4.5" (132ltr), surfs amazing.

Anyway it will all be easy soon, with content being updated and released as we speak online.

JB

sounds like it could be good, will have to check it out

Jarryd

Windgenuity
NSW, 648 posts
Site Sponsor
2 Aug 2013 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

BTW, to those that have not met me, I'm about 6'2" x 92-95kgs.

JB

warwickl
NSW, 2222 posts
2 Aug 2013 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 9 and 8,5 2013 Hokua love both and for wave riding the 8,5 is by far the best but for me conditions need to be very good conditions while waiting for a wave. I am abt 76kg with very average skills.

My questions to Windgenuity are:

1. In 2014 what will replace my current SUPs?

2. In the LE version will there be a board that at least matches the 8,5 however with just a little more stability while waiting for a wave?

3. Will there be the opportunity to demo? In Newcastle NSW?

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
2 Aug 2013 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windgenuity said..

Sounds awesome and exactly what I wanted to complement my 9'2" Allwave.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Aug 2013 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Leroy,

1. In 2014 what will replace my current SUPs? You may look at going into the Hokua LE range, the 8'10" is surprisingly stable for 107ltrs.I have to troubles on it.
2. In the LE version will there be a board that at least matches the 8,5 however with just a little more stability while waiting for a wave? The 8'10" as mentioned above. I find it more stable than the 8'5" in tricky conditions. AT your weight, don't shy off trying the 8'3", you will be surprized how easy it is A 8'3" LE and 8'5" Mana quiver would cover everything possible in 2 board quiver.
3. Will there be the opportunity to demo? In Newcastle NSW? Yes, the Naish van will be up at DSS on Saturday, they have a demo morning at 9am. Check out our FB page or theirs for the event details. I'll get pete to ensure there's an event here on the breeze also.

Hope this helps, but as always. Demo demo demo. It's hard to advise without seeing your ability etc..

Enjoy next saturday with the crew. If for some reason you can;t make it, we'll be up at Palm Beach in Sydney on the Sunday all day also.

regards,

JB

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
3 Aug 2013 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hi JB, you've been incredibly helpful, but 107 liters??? I drink more in a session if I'm feeling thirsty. I believe I'm a competent surfer who has odd days and waves where I surf beyond my ability (to my ability?). I'm 56 and until I've recovered from my imminent hip replacement I won't know what the limit of my abilities is. I have been known to hit the lip vertically, do floaters etc. I'm always trying to turn which means I tend to catch rails and fall off a fair bit, but have been told when I put it altotgether I sometimes look alright for a FOB. I want a smaller board so that I can cutback on my forehand more proficiently and get closer to the face/wall when trying to hide under the all to rare lips down here in Vic. In saying all that I am still a weekend warrior who sneaks in surfs during daylight saving and uses sickies judiciously through out a year. I also get school holidays which means I get down the coast more than most punters but not quite as much as someone that lives on the coast. The 8'5" Mana will have stability, be smaller and more manouverable. The Hokua at 107 liters would ( I think) turn me into more of a circus sideshow than I am now. I'll try it but doubt I'll be able to stand up on it at that litreage. Thanks again for all your help

skebstebamal
QLD, 579 posts
3 Aug 2013 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Warwick, id swap from your 8'5 to the 8'3 LE. it was used for a week solid on the sunshine coast in all conditions, riders between 70-90kg enjoyed it.

for me at 96kg i struggled on it and prefer the 9'0 still over all the ne le's i tried.

so keep ur 9'0 and get an 8'3 !! perfect

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Aug 2013 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Leroy,

I don't want to start riddles and confuse people, but sometime litreage (not sure spelling) doesn't = stability, volume distribution plays a huge part on how a board feels in the water, and just to confuse the matter more, you will have people you like longitudinal stability and some that like width stability more, some who prefer to be on top of the water, and some that are comfortable under the water. If I told you that I can paddle with a reasonable amount of ease/ability (considering) the 8'0" Hokua LE @ 80 ltrs at my weight of 92ish (on a good day), you'd think I was tripping, but it is possible (not good and I'd hate to do it in anything but perfect conditions). Get out there and try it, It may or may not be your cup of tea.

JB

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
3 Aug 2013 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

'OK', he said with a disbelieving grin, 'I'll try it'.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
3 Aug 2013 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JB said...
Hey Leroy,

I don't want to start riddles and confuse people, but sometime litreage (not sure spelling) doesn't = stability, volume distribution plays a huge part on how a board feels in the water, and just to confuse the matter more, you will have people you like longitudinal stability and some that like width stability more, some who prefer to be on top of the water, and some that are comfortable under the water. If I told you that I can paddle with a reasonable amount of ease/ability (considering) the 8'0" Hokua LE @ 80 ltrs at my weight of 92ish (on a good day), you'd think I was tripping, but it is possible (not good and I'd hate to do it in anything but perfect conditions). Get out there and try it, It may or may not be your cup of tea.

JB

Finally someone that understands sups! I wish this was posted in every store and website so that the "poser sup wannabe leader figures" stopped spreading incorrect information!

colas
5064 posts
3 Aug 2013 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Well, Archimedes doesn't agree, you need volume not to sink :-)

This said, it is very possible that the published volume of the Naish boards is not accurate, and they have more actual volume than printed.

Basically, you need enough stability to float.
Bare minimum volume in liters is your weigtht + weight of board+paddle+wetsuit in kg.
Let's say 85l for a 75kg guy.

Then you can add some "buffer" to have some margin of error on feet placement: if you are put off balance by chop, how far from the ideal position can you lean before "capsizing". Common values are 10l for perfect conditions, 20l for moderate chop, 30l for hell.
So for our 75kg guy, a 105l board would be a good board for everyday conditions.

Width then need to be chosen proportionally to the rider height, and more width give more time to balance the chop. On narrow boards you must be quicker to react.

Note that you can ride a sinking SUP because:
- when sinking, the water displaced by your feet / ankles / legs adds to your floatation.
- by always having some speed (constant paddling) the board get some lift from the water displacement
Thus our 75kh guy could ride a 70l SUP. But it will be a very tired SUPer very quickly :-)

Also, a beginner will need a lot of volume because he cannot cope with water coming above the rails. But with some experience, and learning to use the paddle, and the movement of the board in the water, too much volume (more than 40l buffer) can be less stable in chop, in a "corky" way.

PS: Nice to see that at last Naish understands the benefits of going wider but thinner in the rails... welcome to the world of real surf shapes...

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Aug 2013 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Colas,

Looks like your held up a bit on numbers, not a bad thing and often a good place to start. I try to use experience and experimentation more to fine tune than a plus 10, pls 20 approx. The numbers are good to give you an idea for sure, and use it as a starting point, but nothing beats trying something for your self. I have first hand found boards more stable than other where the volumes and widths would suggest otherwise. Demo, demo, demo where available, don;t get too hung up on numbers.

Enjoy,

JB

warwickl
NSW, 2222 posts
4 Aug 2013 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Rocker would also be a factor in stability IMO.

Would someone advise on the rocker of the Hokua LE compared with standard Hokua please?

Also looking at the outline of the 2 boards the LE has a pin tail which to me would make the board less stable - comments please.

Unfortunately I could not get to the demo in Newcastle yesterday so comments from those that did demo would also be appreciated.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014 Naish's ?" started by paddlepop