Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2014 Starboard Airborn 7'10 x 30" at Surf Fx

Created by SurfFX > 9 months ago, 21 May 2013
SupaTrooper
QLD, 243 posts
27 May 2013 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

and gals.....you know who you are....Ali.....at kirra with the 30 inch model and camera set up on Sunday

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
27 May 2013 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Ok looks like I've been dobbed it too much fun surfing yesterday to spend time inside looking at the pics!

Got out for a few waves at Greenmount, Kirra and the Alley over the weekend and starting to get the board worked out.

Paddling out, the board has plenty of stability for my weight (82kg) and ability, and even with a fair bit of water moving around and some wind against me the board felt comfortable underfoot. Slightly less stable than my 8'5" Pro, but not by much.

With respect to float, at 97L its a fairly low volume board and although it still sits 'above' the wave with my weight (if standing still) when paddling it felt like I generally had about 1cm of water splashing over the deck, so I'd be guessing the weight limit for this board would be around 85 to 90kg (max) unless your a very experienced rider or comfortable paddling with your ankles underwater.

Paddling speed is definitely slower than the 8'5" (as would be expected for a shorter, wider board) but tracking wasn't too bad and can keep it going in a straight line without having to swap sides every stoke or two.

As SupaTrooper mentioned I took the camera out for a few waves at Kirra Sunday late morning. Started the session sitting out wide off the point to get a feel for the board and try to stay out of the surfers way. Paddling for a wave felt a little slower than I'm used to and had to dig that little bit harder to catch the fatter sections but once on the wave, this board just comes alive. Can generate speed down the line without needing to pump the board too hard and turning, the board felt super responsive easy to turn without needing to move around too much.

Below are a few pics from the first half of the session before having problems with the mount (probably the biggest disadvantage of the Sony over the GoPro is the lack of mounting options - so a GoPro is on the list to get next) and after waiting for a gap between sets so i could see the bottom and dive down to retrieve the camera i decided to come in before losing it again.

I went back out for a second session early afternoon after putting the camera safely back in the car, and with the tide dropping, the point was starting to hollow out bit more and I decided to test myself by going a bit deeper. At 30" wide, i was really surprised with how well the board handled the steeper drop sped through the hollowed sections with ease (catching me off guard a few times) which must be due to the really sharp rail profile. I'm not a pro by any means and the board probably has loads more potential than me, but so far I'm finding it a lot of fun.

Here's a few screen grabs from my first session yesterday (not enough footage to put a vid together yet).

Anyone got any suggestions for a camera newbie to avoid getting so many drop of water in the middle of the screen?

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
28 May 2013 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

I just pray they have a larger one up their sleeve, a new 8 ft 10" would be nice !!!!!!

cyberhusky
VIC, 68 posts
29 Jun 2013 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marco gribi said..

Been riding the Airborn all week, below is my take on it

Rider: Sponsored by Starboard (take my comments as you will)
Weight: 78kg

Board Stats:
Length: 7 10
Width: 30 inches (31.5 also available)
Thickness: 3.4
Volume: 97L
Weight: 5.7kg (Carbon)
Fins Set: Quad 4.7F / 4.5R (+ FCS rear center box)

This board is an insane amount of fun in small to medium sized waves. It has been a while coming off the water in Perth conditions and frothing on a great session.

I have been looking for a board a bit smaller than my 8 5 Pro for the cleaner days around Perth, without sacrificing too much float or stability. For me the 8 0 Pro is just a bit small with the more pulled in outline for our metro conditions, I tended to miss waves by trying to balance or working too hard to paddle onto fuller waves.

The stability of the Airborn is probably in between both the 8 0 and 8 5 Pros, however due to the length it does have a small sweet spot for standing. Paddling onto a wave was super easy for such a short board, it tracked pretty well and had ample glide to paddle onto a fuller wave. As the wave goes under the board the tail just lifts and it seems to pick the board up and pull it along.

Once on the wave this is where the board really comes alive, it generates plenty of speed nice and early without having to really pump it along. Initiating a turn did not require getting all the way back as it foot steered pretty well mid rail. With the thin rails it bites hard and you can go into a nice deep carving turn and drive back up the face with ease. Coming off the top and re engaging the fins / rail was really good and this set the board up to just keep going for more. Even in real small white water sections you can push the tail out for a bit of sliding action and just keep going by pumping the board along.

This really is the board I have been looking for, a small board that has enough stability to allow standing around while not sinking below the ankles and plenty of performance on the wave.

Cheers,
Marco

Marco, what's your take on the differences between this board and the Starby 7'8" widepoint? Particularly as it applies to heavier guys around or above the 85kg mark?

marco gribi
WA, 196 posts
1 Jul 2013 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Cybrehusky,

I would not really say that these two boards are comparable, you would probably have to look at the 31.5" version for a more realistic comparison. For me at 78kg the 30" wide model is at the lower limit of usability where I like low volume / thin railed boards but I do not like sinking below my ankles and having to keep moving all the time. So the 30" fits this bill perfectly.

As a board the 30" wide model is all over the 7'8 in terms of performance but I had to shift my intended use for a second board. I bought the 7'8 as a short board with stability for the less than ideal days where my 8'5 pro is a bit of a hand full. Now having ridden the 30" wide I have just ended up going smaller for the sake of on wave performance / fun factor.

Now comparing the 7'8 x 32" and the 7'10 x 31.5 is more realistic in terms of how they both feel and ride on the water. Sure the 7'8 is more stable with an extra 22L but they are both very similar in feel. The 7'10 just sits lower in the water due to less volume and also the much thinner rails. I would probably say where the 7'8 is slightly easier to control and get on a wave the 7'10 has a slight on wave performance advantage of being a bit more loose for my weight. At 85kg + I would probably lean towards the 7'8 for float / stability / performance and the 7'10 if you just wanted a performance advantage but willing to risk some maneuverability / volume.

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Marco

timboards
WA, 23 posts
3 Jul 2013 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Marco,
Where can I try a demo of the 31.5" wide Airborn in Perth?
Cheers,
Tim

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
3 Jul 2013 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
timboards said..

Hey Marco,
Where can I try a demo of the 31.5" wide Airborn in Perth?
Cheers,
Tim

Hey Tim,

Stand Up Surf Shop in North Freo have the 31.5 in demo, have a chat to them.

timboards
WA, 23 posts
3 Jul 2013 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Marco,
Where can I try a demo of the 31.5 wide one in Perth?
Cheers
Tim

marco gribi
WA, 196 posts
3 Jul 2013 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tim,

Airborne has an Airborn
Sorry that was too good an opportunity not do say that.

Airborne Kitesurfing / Standup Paddle Sports in Osborne park has both the 30" & 31.5" as demos.

Unit 4 / 11 Howe St

Cheers,
Marco

IWB
210 posts
4 Jul 2013 3:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Marco,
For mushy onshore steep surf with say a 10knot onshore breeze and choppy conditions, would the Airborne offer sufficient stability for a 145lb rider. I have ridden the 2013 Starboard Pro 8.5 in these sort of conditions and at the moment find way too much work in terms of stability. The WP7'8 looks good but thinking this board maybe be just a bit too wide for such a light rider in performance. The Airborne 7'10 and 31.5 looks to have some potential but very low in volume and thus not really offering much more in stability that Pro8.5. Finally looking at the Starboard 8'5 pocket rocket as well but for some reason have slight reservations, maybe due to the flatter profile... any thoughts would be appreciated.

marco gribi
WA, 196 posts
4 Jul 2013 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hi IWB,

At your weight the 31.5" Airborn would definitely have more stability than the 8'5 Pro, Even for me I found it was easily do able in lumpier conditions.

Below are some of my observations on all the options mentioned.

7'8 x 32 - Probably not the best suited to your weight for performance because of the thicker rails, width and volume but will offer some of the best stability in the conditions you mentioned. Primarily the wide point range was designed for heavier guys with a more wave orientated focus by using width and volume for stability.

7'10 x 30 - Less stable than the 8'5 Pro for me but a bag full of performance and sheer fun. This model should be the most suited to the conditions you mention and as you are 10+ kg lighter than me might be more stable than the 8'5 (I have had lighter people say it felt more stable). I cannot rave any more about this board, I just wish I was your weight to use it more often. I do get tired quicker in the legs with all the extra balancing required.

7'10 x 31.5 - Probably one of my top picks for stability / performance in a low volume / wide style board. These shorter boards do suit steeper surf as they fit into the wave much easier and allow for a tighter turning radius, they are pretty much designed for this. The only draw back that you experience with this type of short / thin / low volume board in lumpy conditions is that they sit lower in the water so you can get wash over the nose when standing / turning for a wave.

8'5 Pro - Love it and my go to board for most conditions and my number one pick. It pretty much does everything really well and by far one of our most popular models. I only ride it as a quad and just love the speed it generates, the loose feel and over all control. I am surprised at your weight you found this board UN-stable in those conditions!

8'5 x 30 PR - Good all rounder, I personally prefer a narrower / more pulled in outline for in the surf and at 130L it's getting pretty big for your size. It handles mushy lumpy conditions real well but probably not the pick for steeper surf.

In summary, if the 8'5 Pro is too UN-stable then I would go the 7'10 x 31.5

Cheers,
Marco

IWB
210 posts
4 Jul 2013 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Marco,
thank you very much for you input on the boards listed. The onshore chop (slop) i am used to is like a washing machine... Once on the wave its good. When conditions start to clean up and there is some consistency to the chop direction then it works. I do think i need to challenge myself more in the messy stuff with the 8'5Pro , however it would be nice to have another complimentary board for the really messy stuff, where the surf is there.
The thinner rails on the Airborne really are another key factor which appeals to me, especially being a lighter rider. Ideally i would like the the smaller Airborne, however from the few reviews, most persons seem to feel it offers similar or less stability than the 8.5pro. Even if they were wrong, looking for a more definite increase with stability. To gain a fraction more stability on the messy days, i put a 17cm fin rather than the stock 14cm.

Cool to hear you like the 8'5 Pro in quad setup... got to give this a try... Riding the AST model, and thinking i might have to at some point upgrade to carbon as i hear this just takes the board to another level of performance.

timboards
WA, 23 posts
4 Jul 2013 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, Marco. Hopefully I can try an airborn out soon.

I ride an 8'5' PR but am interested in something with more refined rails and a bit shorter.
I prefer wider boards for stability.

I'm around 83kg (similar to you?) and like the look of the 7'11'' x 30, although it's 4.3 thick, so i presume the rails are bulky.. my 8'5'' is 4.1 thick. But its a 10L drop in volume from 130 to 120 which sounds good.

The 31.5 wide airborne looks good too.. i like the quad set up on my 8'5'' and the airborne has this, unlike the 7'11''.. also, i like the idea that its thinner.. only thing is its a BIG drop in volume from the 8'5'' at 130 L to airborne at 98L, so I think it could be too much.(?)

I really do like being able to conserve my energy for relaxing and enjoying the surf, so width and floatyness are important to me. (But lower volume means lighter to carry and easier to get thru the waves too!)

Guess I'll just have to try the airborn out. And hopefully they have a 7'11'' to try too?

Any feedback from you would be appreciated.

Cheers, Tim

marco gribi
WA, 196 posts
5 Jul 2013 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tim,

I have not had the chance to ride the new 7'11 x 30 but I have spent a lot of time on the older 29.5" 116L version. The new version does look a little thick through the mid section but just not sure how the changes apply to performance. I really enjoyed the older model and would say this is a great step down board, the only negative was in over head high it was a tad slow and I also like a quad option. There is a demo of the 29.5" but this does not help much.

Depends on where you mainly ride but for average WA summer conditions where the wave may be a bit small / fat / full I would say the Airborne 31.5 would be a bit of hard work at 83kg and if your only board.

Now for an option that may be exactly what you are looking for, the 2014 8'2 x 32 Wide Point is going through a few changes and it is taking on a lot of the Airborn characteristics. It pretty much ticks all the boxes you have mentioned but I cannot release specifics on a forum. If you want to come in and see me at the Osborne Park shop I can give a better idea of what these are.

Cheers,
Marco

timboards
WA, 23 posts
5 Jul 2013 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, Marco.

I live and SUP in Margs, so I am almost never out in the fat perth type conditions you mentioned. :)
I am mostly out at pretty grunty spots.

Regardless of the wave conditions, I have the feeling that the Airborn could make life a bit more difficult than I would like.
I was wondering why I hadnt been amped on the 7'11'' in the past, but you made me realise that it used to be 29.5 and 116L, but 2013 is 30" & 120L. That is not much difference, but it's enough to make me a lot more interested in it. Especially because it seems really similar in outline to the 8'5'' PR.
I just wish it had a quad option! .. maybe it will for 2014!!??
Hopefully theres a 2013 7'11'' in the shop to look at.

Am looking forward to looking at other options and thanks for the 2014 8'2 WP tip..
I havent been looking at an 8'5 WP up till now because it seems too close to my 8'5 PR, and I like that the PR is good in bigger gruntier waves. Also , the WPs seem more like a shortboard nose/ outline, and I like the wider noses for a bit of semi-longboard style :)
Will you be in the shop on the avo of wed. 17 july? I'll be coming thru then.

:)

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
7 Jul 2013 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marco gribi said..
7'10 x 30 - Less stable than the 8'5 Pro for me but a bag full of performance and sheer fun. This model should be the most suited to the conditions you mention and as you are 10+ kg lighter than me might be more stable than the 8'5 (I have had lighter people say it felt more stable). I cannot rave any more about this board, I just wish I was your weight to use it more often. I do get tired quicker in the legs with all the extra balancing.

Very interesting comment re. the comparative stability of the 8'5" Pro and 7'10" x 30" Airborn, with heavier riders saying the Airborn is less stable, but lighter riders thinking its more stable. And I think it's spot on and very true!

When I first got my Airborn, I thought it felt slightly less stable than my 8'5" Pro (have a look at my first impressions described above). Standing in calm/flat water the deck was above the water, but once moving, there was generally about 1cm of water splashing over the deck, so although it 'floated' me, at 82-83kg I was probably nearing its weight limit (for anything less than pro riders), and the widest point on the rails was submerged.

In the six and a bit weeks since getting this board, I've dropped a reasonable amount of weight, and now at 75-76kg, IMO the Airborn is undoubtedly more stable than the 8'5" Pro by comparison.

Previously, when the deck was just underwater/on the water line, the float of the board would have had a significant bearing on its overall stability. When there is water pressure on top of the rails (even if not a huge amount) rather than just from underneath, the whole hydrodynamics of how the board moves through the water changes.

Now that the board sits a little higher in the water for me, and the widest point on the rails is not submerged, the stability is governed more so by the width of the board, which, being 1" wider than the 8'5" Pro makes it feel more stable.

I'd be guessing the pivot point for float vs. width in governing the overall stability of the 7'10" x 30" Airborn is around 77kg.

So IWB, my guess is that you (being almost 10kg lighter than me) would find the 30" model significantly more stable than the 8'5" Pro.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the 31.5" wide Airborn for a comparison, but would be guessing that the increased width would only make it more stable, particularly for lighter weight paddlers when the rails aren't submerged.

So as Marco said, the 31.5" would probably offer you the most stability compared to the 8'5"Pro, but at your weight, I wouldn't dismiss the 30" model if you can find a way to Demo both.

Cheers,
Ali

IWB
210 posts
7 Jul 2013 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ali,
Thank you very much for your added discussion on the Airborn 7'10 x 30 stability potentially for the lighter rider ie 65-68kg. That is great to hear, that you think a light weight rider would find this board much more stable than the 8'5Pro. It does make sense in that the Airborn is wider, with much more width in the nose and tail and that if the rails are not submerged will provide that extra stability needed. Ideally this is what i am looking for as I want this board to handle the very messy onshore chop/swell that would be experienced while waiting for waves, however i want the board to be able to turn on the wave face with ease when doing bottom turns and cut backs. I am sure it is a trade off... in that the Airborn 31.5 will have the added stability over the 30inch wide Airborn, however the 30inch Airborn would offer better performance once on the wave.
Have you had a chance to use the Airborn 7'10 x 30 in onshore conditions where there might be a lot more messy wind chop? If so how was the stability?

Cheers,

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
7 Jul 2013 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IWB said..
Have you had a chance to use the Airborn 7'10 x 30 in onshore conditions where there might be a lot more messy wind chop? If so how was the stability?
Cheers,

I haven't had it out in more than about 8-10knots straight onshore winds or more than 12-14knots cross-shore (both of which i felt it handled ok - but obviously didn't feel quite as stable or easy as when in glassy conditions). I guess you could call these crumbly conditions rather than full blown chop.

But anything stronger I can't really comment on....

If the surf is big, onshore and ugly looking, I stay away, and if its smaller onshore mess I'll either take the race board out for a bit of fun in the waves or find somewhere working for a downwinder (or find something other than paddling to do for the day).

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014 Starboard Airborn 7'10 x 30" at Surf Fx" started by SurfFX