Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2014 Starboard Freeride 12'2

Created by Antho > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2013
Antho
VIC, 510 posts
13 Nov 2013 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Just picked up the new Freeride...it is supposed to be stable and fast. Has a very interesting nose shape. I'm looking forward to a paddle tomorrow.

Antho
VIC, 510 posts
13 Nov 2013 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

I don't know why the photos are upside down...sorry about that,

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
13 Nov 2013 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great.. What's the 14.1'' mean..

Guessing it's tail width a foot from the tail..

Or is it thickness in cm..

Where in Vic are you..

It would be interesting to see how it goes on a DW'er..

DJ

Antho
VIC, 510 posts
13 Nov 2013 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hi DJ,
I'm fairly sure that the 14.1 is a reference to the tail width (which is quite narrow). I'm a former Queenslander based in the Northern suburbs however I spend every weekend at Elwood or Torquay. During the week I intend to paddle the Maribyrnong and on days off I try to be down your way. I have never been down winding and this was one of the reasons I purchased this board. I was really interested in the 14' Glide, however there was no way I could get it to fit comfortably in my garage. Even a 12'6 was tight. After much deliberation and advice I went for the12'2 Freeride.
I would be more than happy for you to take it down winding as I would welcome your feedback.
Cheers A.

JohnnyMaya
196 posts
13 Nov 2013 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Antho,

The freeride is one of my favorite board from 2014's Starboard range.When I went to the meeting in spain, I was asked to race one on the allround class in the Portuguese nationals that would happen the following weekend.By mistake, instead of the 30" wide version, they sent the 32" (freeride xl).
Even being slower than yours, I finished 5 minutes ahead of the second place. We had a shorter course but until a certain point it was the same course than the pro course. The moment I left the pro Course, I was 7th overall.

I didn't try it downwing, but I surfed some small waves and it felt good. At least good enough to think it's a brilliant overall board. You can even set a sail on it!!

I'm affiliated to starboard, but i'm not biased. I will tell you any day how much I hate the touring!!! LOL

Antho
VIC, 510 posts
13 Nov 2013 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

JohnnyMaya
Thanks for the incredibly positive feedback....I did not demo this board but loved the shape. Very itchy to get it in the water now.

yugi
85 posts
13 Nov 2013 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

I'd really like to hear feedback on how it works with a sail. Wondering if it'll get up on a plane easily and how it handles.

Nice to hear it has a good glide in the water. The nose shape looks good for downwinders. If it sails well too it may be a perfect all-round board.

Antho
VIC, 510 posts
13 Nov 2013 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hello Yugi,
There is a version of the freeride that allows you to windsurf (called the 'blue'). I chose the straight sup version. As the board becomes more popular I think people will provide feedback as to the 'blue' version's sailing credentials. The guys at ZU reckon the sailing version is heaps of fun.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
13 Nov 2013 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

it might be just me, but the boards from sb this year are looking like lahui kai dvs manta's- reverse noses, slight displacement noses into chines with single concaves

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
13 Nov 2013 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

it might be just me, but the boards from sb this year are looking like lahui kai dvs manta's- reverse noses, slight displacement noses into chines with single concaves

Very similar... colour..

DJ

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014 Starboard Freeride 12'2" started by Antho