Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2014 Starboards

Created by Tryfan > 9 months ago, 4 Oct 2013
Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
4 Oct 2013 3:52AM
Thumbs Up

Some of the new 2014 range of Starboard demo surf sups have been cracked out at Starboard Central in Perth this week, and over the last couple of mornings the wind has taken a break and the banks have aligned throwing up some nice little waves to play on. Perfect timing to grab a handful of assorted sups and hit the water...

The much-loved Whopper has been upgraded for the first time, and the changes have added a new dimension to the board for sure. I started out on the original (have paddled the Whopper in all constructions over the years and know the board pretty well) before swapping over to the newie after a good few waves.

Pretty big difference in feel on the wave with the centred vee/double concave through the bottom giving a bit more down the line speed, lots more drive through turns, and also allowing to tip into turns from further up the board. This threw me a little on the first wave as I'm used to running straight to the tail on the Whopper to heave the beastie around, but after I got used to it found it enabled more fluid turning with less effort. The nose is a bit more pulled in as per pic below (2014 on right) which gives you a bit more confidence on steeper faces and helps bring it round quicker and easier through turns. Something noted by everyone was that the 2014 Whopper felt a bit more forgiving and didn't bog down or stall as the original can if you put yourself in the wrong position or try to push through turns from too far up the board.

There was a thought that adding the substantial vee may possibly sacrifice stability, but everyone who rode it found it comparable to the original stability wise, as well as quicker to paddle and less need to run to the nose when paddling onto fuller waves. None of us there were much if at all over 90 kegs either, so would be good to see what some larger test-dummies have to say about stability as well as how it surfs for them.

There's a few extra litres of volume added in there somewhere...

Rossall
WA, 695 posts
5 Oct 2013 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

When are you doing a demo day ?

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
5 Oct 2013 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone know when they're going to be in stock?

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
5 Oct 2013 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, good question Rossall...

Stand Up Paddle Sports planned a demo this weekend at Cott, however a service for a local kiter who had an accident there a week or so ago was organized for this morning at same location (Sat), and out of respect they pulled the pin on today.
Unfortunately all weather reports advised tomorrow's conditions no good, so demos on hold until Huey throws us a bone. Timings will be posted here on the 'Breeze for sure.

The demo boards are in the shop at Osborne Park now tho...

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
5 Oct 2013 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said...

A handful of the 2014 boards landed early and have made their way to shops around Oz already mate.

More to arrive over next couple of months tho, so check in with your local bloke to see what they've got now, and what they have coming.

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
5 Oct 2013 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

I cracked a woodie myself...

Liking the new soft handle

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
5 Oct 2013 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty, are all the boards in the range getting the new handle??

cheers
Jamie

Rossall
WA, 695 posts
5 Oct 2013 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tryfan said..

Zeusman said...

A handful of the 2014 boards landed early and have made their way to shops around Oz already mate.

More to arrive over next couple of months tho, so check in with your local bloke to see what they've got now, and what they have coming.

funny on their mailing list but didn't get any news on it, must of been a secret demo !!!!

Hopefully catch the next one

phil

NeilInOz
ACT, 30 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Picked up my 2014 carbon Avanti today - off to the coast tomorrow. I'm already loving the weight, the look, the handle. Sexy colour, sexy texture. I've already forgotten how much it cost!

Not so keen on the shipping damnage (not a misspelling!). Someone dropped it on its tail. Duck tape on a new board is never good. It only weighs about three grams - how come they can drop that?

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aus301 said...
Scotty, are all the boards in the range getting the new handle??

cheers
Jamie

Yea mate, a small number of 2014 boards that were finished before the new handle was put into the production process missed out, but all that are due from now on should have them.

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

funny on their mailing list but didn't get any news on it, must of been a secret demo !!!!

Hopefully catch the next one

phil

Don't know about mailing lists etc myself Phil but I'm sure the guys in the shop would want to tell as many people as possible about a demo day, especially their customers. I know it has been posted on the Events section of the Breeze for a while coz it has already been postponed due to crap weather.

Slab
1080 posts
5 Oct 2013 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi - considering a new Starby widepoint - is the handle a ledge one that you can get the fingers deep in..or is it soft and but not that deep? Difficlut to find any onfo on it so really pleased you guys are showing the way!

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
6 Oct 2013 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NeilInOz said..

Picked up my 2014 carbon Avanti today - off to the coast tomorrow. I'm already loving the weight, the look, the handle. Sexy colour, sexy texture. I've already forgotten how much it cost!

Not so keen on the shipping damnage (not a misspelling!). Someone dropped it on its tail. Duck tape on a new board is never good. It only weighs about three grams - how come they can drop that?

Stoked that you are loving your new board NeilInOz but sorry to hear about the damage. Just sent you a PM.

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
6 Oct 2013 12:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said..

Hi - considering a new Starby widepoint - is the handle a ledge one that you can get the fingers deep in..or is it soft and but not that deep? Difficlut to find any onfo on it so really pleased you guys are showing the way!

Handle is soft and recessed as can sorta see in the photo, but not as deep as the other ledge style handles. Is quite easy to pick up board by handle only when it is laying flat tho.

What size Widepoint are you thinking?

Slab
1080 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tryfan said..

Slab said..

Handle is soft and recessed as can sorta see in the photo, but not as deep as the other ledge style handles. Is quite easy to pick up board by handle only when it is laying flat tho.

What size Widepoint are you thinking?

Looking at the 8ft 10 widepoint or JP 8ft 8 Surf widebody.....the latter is slightly edging it just now.

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
6 Oct 2013 1:39AM
Thumbs Up

The 8'10 Widepoint is heaps of fun and one of the easiest sups to surf. No close up photos handy but it's the red one in the first two pics at top of this post. Can't give firsthand feedback on the JP as I haven't ridden it, but from what I hear is a pretty popular board too. Do like the fin options on the Starby tho. Hopefully you can demo both and see which one best suits your needs.

Slab
1080 posts
6 Oct 2013 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tryfan said..

The 8'10 Widepoint is heaps of fun and one of the easiest sups to surf. No close up photos handy but it's the red one in the first two pics at top of this post. Can't give firsthand feedback on the JP as I haven't ridden it, but from what I hear is a pretty popular board too. Do like the fin options on the Starby tho. Hopefully you can demo both and see which one best suits your needs.

Yeah - being able to change around the fins is a good thing. Sometimes quads are just a bit loose ...but I'm not a big wave rider that's for sure.

NeilInOz
ACT, 30 posts
7 Oct 2013 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

The carbon Avanti is awesome. Almost identical to the cheapie ( I had both down the coast) but a wee bit more responsive - and a bloody lot lighter. The surface is super-grippy but hard on the knees. Ah, I remember, it's "stand up" Paddleboarding!

i have two Avantis now so I can pull rank and keep one for myself.

As as for shipping damage - **** happens. but how can something packed so well get damaged. Must be a real challenge for the handlers.

The new handle is VERY GOOD. It would have been EXCELLENT If they had placed it five inches further forward. As it is it's nose heavy. That's a design mistake.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014 Starboards" started by Tryfan