Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Candice Appleby 12'6

Created by KylieJ > 9 months ago, 22 Jul 2013
KylieJ
QLD, 96 posts
22 Jul 2013 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Just after some reviews or thoughts on the Candice Appleby 12'6 race board how does it go in flat and ocean water, is it stable at 27.9' wide, what do you think the weight limit of the rider should be roughly for a beginner to intermediate.
Im waiting to demo one but theres not many around.
Would appriciate any information. Also deciding on this board or a fanatic falcon.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
22 Jul 2013 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Both great boards and I'm thinking the Bark board should go better on the smoother water and the Fanatic should perform beter in the choppier waters.. You need to arange a demo paddle of both.

DJ

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Jul 2013 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kickels,

Errr, what he said ^^^^

We've sold a heap of the Candice 12'6" racers. Very popular board with the ladies. The "joe Bark" nose is definitely best suited to flat water conditions, but having said that, they go pretty well in small to moderate downwinder conditions too.

The Falcon is a different concept, best suited to moderate to heavy downwind conditions (speaking about 2013 Falcon here) but still very capable in flat water too. Both are great boards. Both boards are stable and easy to paddle.

The Candice would be better suited to riders under 75kg whereas the Falcon isn't too worried about rider weight.

DM

nickmcd41
QLD, 187 posts
25 Jul 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey kickels

Obviously both great boards, and great. Brands....just a word of advice from a fellow baysider. Make sure you get something you are comfortable on in choppy and windy conditions. The bay is choppy most days and flat glassy days are pretty rare, if you only have one board you need something that cuts chop, stable and also fast in flat for those days. For my 2 cents the fanatic is the way to go from the 2 you are considering. Maybe try a starboard allstar in your trial group?

Good luck and might see you out in the bay.

Nick

KylieJ
QLD, 96 posts
25 Jul 2013 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Im thinking yes to a fanatic falcon but am still not sure about the a 27.5 or 30 width.
I have a wrist injury for life but want to do fitness and race would the more stable board save me from any further injury. I will mostly be in choppy conditions it is rare that water is glassy. Any ideas

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
26 Jul 2013 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kickels said..

Im thinking yes to a fanatic falcon but am still not sure about the a 27.5 or 30 width.
I have a wrist injury for life but want to do fitness and race would the more stable board save me from any further injury. I will mostly be in choppy conditions it is rare that water is glassy. Any ideas

I have an idea..

Go with fun, comfort and enjoyment over concern, tippyness and frutration..

DJ

WinginIt
QLD, 14 posts
26 Jul 2013 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

My wife and daughter both think our Falcon 12'6 30" is too wide for them. They are newbies and find it hard to keep the paddle shaft vertical on the wider board. They both prefer the 27.5" width of our 14' Falcon. But, ditto to DJ's comment...fun and comfort are key when starting out.

KylieJ
QLD, 96 posts
26 Jul 2013 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Wingit do that take the 30'wide in choppy water or out in the ocean do they still find it too big if you don't mind me asking what weight are the riders just an average?
I got told the new 2014 models are more stable then the 2013 models.
Im getting there DJ my choices have narrowed majorly. Its been a long journey to finding a board but dont want to make wrong choice either. You still owe me a drink! Ha ha if you remember.

nickmcd41
QLD, 187 posts
26 Jul 2013 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Kickels. I have listed my wife's 12'6 javelin for sale. Probably not as stable as a fanatic that is for sure, but a great first race board and not too wide for ladies. Carbon model so very light and very fast..see my ad in the classifieds on this site to have a look at description and price etc. you can take for a demo too if you want.
Nick

WinginIt
QLD, 14 posts
27 Jul 2013 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kickels, some flat and moreton bay chop. Around 50-53 kgs, 5'3" or thereabouts. Ours are the 2013 models. Good luck with the search.

KylieJ
QLD, 96 posts
29 Jul 2013 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Im kike 25 kg heavier so msybe the 30 might do am pretty keen on the falcons

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
29 Jul 2013 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kickels said..

You still owe me a drink! Ha ha if you remember.

Haven't forgoten that drink..

I can paddle my 26'' x14' Jav ok but instead I choose to paddle my 12'6''x30'' Glide almost every day.. It's nice to be comfee and super stable..

DJ

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
30 Jul 2013 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kickels said..

I'm 92kg and paddle the 27.5" Falcon, I cant see you needing the 30" unless it's just a touring board.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
30 Jul 2013 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BrisKites said..

Kickels said..

I'm 92kg and paddle the 27.5" Falcon, I cant see you needing the 30" unless it's just a touring board.

You're probably right.. 30'' is a bit overkill.. unless you want to do yoga.. or touring with gear.. or paddle with pets or kids on board.

DJ

Gdog
QLD, 83 posts
2 Aug 2013 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kickels,
I am 105kg and have the 14' x 30" 2013 Falcon (hrs) and love it. I originally had a go in flat water on the 14' x 28" carbon Falcon and fell in love, but after a couple of demos in choppy water decided on the wider board. The 30" is easier to handle but i still crave the speed of that 28" in the flat water. I am not sure how different the 12'6" models are compared to the 14'. I suppose your demo will give you a better idea but be sure to test in the conditions you are most likely to encounter. I think i will eventually work towards a carbon 14' x 30" as the feel of carbon is noticeably different to the HRS. Let us know what you find.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
25 Aug 2013 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

The new one looks even better.

DJ

#at=98

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Candice Appleby 12'6" started by KylieJ