Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Falcon 12"6 x 27.5cm HRS edition

Created by brusier > 9 months ago, 30 Sep 2012
brusier
192 posts
30 Sep 2012 6:35AM
Thumbs Up

I saw one of these yesterday in local shop and its a bit different to the online picture.

It had recessed tie downs on each side which I thought was a bit weird for the Falcon race board range. I think there were 3 each side? Another comment was the handle was not in the middle and it was bow down when I picked it up. Apparently the one I saw was number 2 out of the mold and I guess they were unsure where the handle should be positioned. I'm sure this will be fixed. I tried to find out how much it weighs but the scales at the shop were not accurate enough.

The fin was impressive being extremely light and had a fantastic finish.

I was impressed with finish and the graphics are very nice. I would be keen to give it a demo and I might try to get organised soon.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
3 Oct 2012 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

I have my 14 footer on order I am absolutely dying to get hold of it. My shop was telling me either end of October or end of November for likely delivery

brusier
192 posts
3 Oct 2012 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

yeah so do I , that is have a 14' x 30" on order. Same as you re timing the end on october depending on "if things go well".

Apparently the recessed tie downs were not recessed tie downs but are used for attaching a strap handle?

So we will keep on waiting then.

Healdy
QLD, 57 posts
17 Oct 2012 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know the weights of the HRS vs Carbon 14's?
I notice this isn't advertised.
Also I downloaded the Fanatic App and the Pic of the 14 HRS looks different in the tail to the Carbon. Is this an error or does the Carbon have a narrower tail?
The volumes are quoted as equal.

Coque
51 posts
17 Oct 2012 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

I think i read the tail shape changes with the different board's widths.

I mean the 25'' Falcon has a much narrower tail than the 30'', but the shapes should be the same for both HRS and Carbon versions.

So maybe you where watching a 30'' HRS vs a 25'' Carbon Falcon...

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
19 Oct 2012 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

The 25" and 27.5" have the pretty much the same tail width at 21cm, there may be 1 or 2 mm in it, the 30 is wider at about 22cm.

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
20 Oct 2012 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

The difference between the tails in the 14 is more pronounced
the 27.5 inch is 10cm the 25 inch 5.5cm!

and after a call to one of our paddlers 15cm for the 14" x 30'.

brusier
192 posts
21 Oct 2012 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

But the HRS version of the 14 has a much wider tail cf Carbon version.

Area10
1508 posts
4 Nov 2012 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

brusier said...

Is this true? Are the different construction 14s also a different shape?

paul.j
QLD, 3340 posts
4 Nov 2012 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Area10 said...
brusier said...

Is this true? Are the different construction 14s also a different shape?

No, the shape is the same between the carbon and HRS

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
4 Nov 2012 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

I just picked up one of these as my second board and for my son to use. Being this construction they're a little tougher than the carbon and I'd feel better letting others use it. It has a little bit more weight, but as a second board or if you're just beginning to race this is a perfect option. I used the previous model when I started to race and with training it can still be a very competitive board.
Additionally it could be a good BOP board. Yes it may be slightly heavier but with the carnage that happens in the BOP races and the fact that waves can have such a big bearing on results I'd be happy to use it.
If you just want one board that is fast and can be used in a variety of conditions this board is a very good option. The 25 is faster but less stable and the 30 inch is very stable yet surprisingly fast. The 30 would be a good option for a heavier rider.
Unlike some brands, Fanatic have really tried to make it easier for the consumer and with lots of input from the Aussies (Jacko and Angie and others) they have come up with 2 models in 3 widths . This makes choice a lot easier.
Additionally they have designed one board that can be ridden in a variety of conditions - flatwater, chop, downwind and small waves. Sounds like a big ask but from what I have ridden so far they seem to have done it.
The only issue I have heard is that they have already become hard to get.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
4 Nov 2012 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

I heard a whisper that my 14ft one may now be in the country. All I need is a bag for her now, which I was told have not been made as yet. First world problems and all :)

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
4 Nov 2012 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I heard a whisper that my 14 footer was in too. Used the 30 inch 14 footer yesterday in the Ocean series and it was surprisingly fast but really stable. Great for Ocean Racing in choppy conditions.

brusier
192 posts
4 Nov 2012 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

So are these the carbons or the hrs ones?

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
4 Nov 2012 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

The first 2 are the 12'6" x 27.5 HRS while the last photo is the 14' x 30 carbon. The carbon has the brushed look.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
4 Nov 2012 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Big thanks to Luke and Hayden from OceanAddicts who looked after me in getting me onto a 12'6"x27.5" HRS Fanatic after issues with another board company ( not Fanatic!).
Whilst I prefer 14' boards for down winding I have been blown away at how good this board is. Finish is superb, the fin awesome and whilst the 27.5" is not the fastest board in the flat, really performs in the ocean. It handles chop, side wash and is very stable. Catching and linking up runners this board flies in the ocean. Should the nose pearl under, the board doesn't slow dramatically, but soon comes up and shreds water off easily. Straight line paddling is very good.
I would have preferred it to be a little lighter and feel the grey deck pad to look plain and possibly look dated after extensive use, but time will tell on this. It has multiple tie down / handle points, but not sure what handles will utilise these - any available?? The finger grip handle is simply stupid, being barely deep enough to get your fingertips into.
If the 14' is as good, it will be a winner!

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
5 Nov 2012 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

I'd be interested to see photos of the handle points as my new 12'6" x 27,5 HRS doesn't have any.

brusier
192 posts
7 Nov 2012 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Any 14' HRS in the country ? I'm actually a kiwi but just wondered if any have made it to .au

paul.j
QLD, 3340 posts
8 Nov 2012 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

jt737 said...
Big thanks to Luke and Hayden from OceanAddicts who looked after me in getting me onto a 12'6"x27.5" HRS Fanatic after issues with another board company ( not Fanatic!).
Whilst I prefer 14' boards for down winding I have been blown away at how good this board is. Finish is superb, the fin awesome and whilst the 27.5" is not the fastest board in the flat, really performs in the ocean. It handles chop, side wash and is very stable. Catching and linking up runners this board flies in the ocean. Should the nose pearl under, the board doesn't slow dramatically, but soon comes up and shreds water off easily. Straight line paddling is very good.
I would have preferred it to be a little lighter and feel the grey deck pad to look plain and possibly look dated after extensive use, but time will tell on this. It has multiple tie down / handle points, but not sure what handles will utilise these - any available?? The finger grip handle is simply stupid, being barely deep enough to get your fingertips into.
If the 14' is as good, it will be a winner!

Hey mate
Glad you like the board, i would love to see a pic of the Handle? as they should be the same as last years which is still quite a deep handle!!

Jacko

windup
NSW, 204 posts
9 Nov 2012 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

NNSUP said...
I'd be interested to see photos of the handle points as my new 12'6" x 27,5 HRS doesn't have any.

John, they look like tie down point not handle point, but could adapt something i guess.
I was in ESS yersterday and took a couple of pic's for you.
Only on the 12'6's not the 14's.

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
9 Nov 2012 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Those are handle points not tie down points. It makes putting a handle on nice and easy and saves ever worrying about putting screws into your board!! when i get home i will put some pics of different handles and how to put them on on here for everyone to look at. Some one might also have made there own already and might like to share as well?

Jacko

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
9 Nov 2012 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mal and Jacko. The pictures are of the carbon boards not the HRS. I think it's only the carbons with the handle points.
Thanks for the photos.
Still waiting on my 14 x 27.5

brusier
192 posts
9 Nov 2012 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

nope the HRS 12"6 x 27.5 has recessed handle things and I heard that my 14' x 30" HRS in a container in Wellington.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
9 Nov 2012 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Bruiser, that last photo I posted is the 14 x 30. It's a great board. Really stable and surprisingly fast. You'll love it

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
9 Nov 2012 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

brusier said...
nope the HRS 12"6 x 27.5 has recessed handle things and I heard that my 14' x 30" HRS in a container in Wellington.

Looking at the HRS boards on our rack and neither the 30" or the 27.5" have the handle points sorry.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
9 Nov 2012 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

next week mine arrives, changed my order from a 14 x 30 HRS to a 14 x27.5 Carbon. I tried my mates the other night and it was super fast and so stable. Big thanks to Wetspot for changing my order and chasing up the board for me

brusier
192 posts
10 Nov 2012 3:08AM
Thumbs Up

BrisKites said...
brusier said...

Looking at the HRS boards on our rack and neither the 30" or the 27.5" have the handle points sorry.

Thats weird as the 12'6" x 27.5 in shop in Dunedin has them?

TomW059
183 posts
10 Nov 2012 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

those are beautiful boards. the shapes look so refined and elegant. colors are timeless.
I'd love to hear a side by side review of 14 x 25 and 14 x 27,5 from a 80 kg paddler in varied conditions, flat water, chop, head and side winds, and DW.
sounds like hrs lacks handle tiedowns. what are those for if you have carry handle built in ?
what's weight diff with hrs vs carbon ?

still 7 c here and plan on flat water DW in the morning.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
22 Nov 2012 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

still no sign of my board apparently the distributor has lost the board. Thinking a Starboard 14fter or even last years Fanatic might be the go

brusier
192 posts
23 Nov 2012 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

gregc said...
still no sign of my board apparently the distributor has lost the board. Thinking a Starboard 14fter or even last years Fanatic might be the go

bugger.

How could someone lose a 14 ' board.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
29 Nov 2012 12:50AM
Thumbs Up

Bruiser, apparently it's pretty easy. The board has supposed to arrive 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I'm really not sure who exactly to blame, Toll Transport, for apparently losing the board in its own warehouse in sydney and then finding it and sending it to gosford, cause that is just like Canberra. The distributor who has so far given every excuse under the sun as to where the board is and then not being focused enough on his customer to say "hey we are really sorry, we have a spare here still in the packing(which they did) we will have it on another truck tomorrow (which would have been 2 weeks ago)".

I can only imagine how difficult sesame street is finding it right now seeing it is missing so many muppets.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Falcon 12"6 x 27.5cm HRS edition" started by brusier