Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Fanatic Prowave 8'10" or JP surf pro 8'10"

Created by Scottydc > 9 months ago, 19 Nov 2012
Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
19 Nov 2012 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking to get either a Fanatic Prowave 8'10" or JP surf pro 8'10". I weigh 75kg and i am a beginner/intermediate rider. Have been riding the all wave 8'10" for about a year and am looking to step down in volume. I ride mainly around Sydney and need whatever board i choose to be able to handle a bit of chop.

Has anyone ridden both these boards and what's the stability like between them?

How do they compare in average conditions as well as good conditions?

SaltH20
123 posts
19 Nov 2012 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Not trying to hijack thread but could you add the JP 8'2" x 32" wide body to the comparison.

I am waiting for the 2013 JP models to hit the States(DECEMBER)

As far as the volume between the Fanatic Prowave and the JP Pro it's nominal 119 and 126 respectively.

Thus why I added the 8'2" x 32" wide body it too is close @ 124 liters for additional comparison.

I too would hear from people out there who have ridden them.

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
19 Nov 2012 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

The 8'2" is also on my list. I might actually go the 8'2" wide surf for summer (onshores and junk waves) and leave the 8'10 for winter. Has anyone on here ridden the 8'2" wide surf? How did it go?

waverbob
2 posts
22 Nov 2012 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I'm Roberto from Sardinia, Italy. I've just received two JP boards, 8'2 wide body and 9'6 surf. Tried the 8'2 two times, the first with 1 m choppy waves and the 2nd with 1,5-2 meters clean glassy waves, I'm totally stoked! The board is ultra light, super easy and turns like crazy. I'm waiting to try it with a new fin set FCS GL-1.
Here are some photos of the board and one gopro shot.
Hope that it helps

firesurf
53 posts
23 Nov 2012 1:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hey waverbob,
Do you know the weight of the 8'2 wide pro?
Nice pictures. I really like the look of this board. May I ask what your weight is? and any additional comments you have about surfabilty and stability of this board.

Also, you mentioned the JP 9'6"x31 surf model. Did you also get the pro construction in this board? and your impression of this board?

WingCharlie
63 posts
23 Nov 2012 4:20AM
Thumbs Up

hi
I tried the JP wide body 2013 (8'2" x 32 124L) and found it was really stable and turned nicely.
I live in Belgium so it can get very choppy over here.
also the reaction of the board when you move around before you start paddling to catch a wave is good.
I tried the wood version and that was very light wich was nice because at low tide we have to walk for 400m sometimes!
my weight is 74kg(before winter
cheers

waverbob
2 posts
24 Nov 2012 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hi firesurf, I've verified the weight of my JP 8'2 wide body: it weights 7,2 kg with the fins on. The board is very stable and easy to paddle (my weight is 82kg and I'm 1,80 m tall).
I've tryed the 9'6 once, and liked the board very much. Tried it in a very choppy day, very stable and easy board, it surfs very well, obviously it lacks the skatey feeling of the wide body 8'2, it's different. I think thet the 9'6 is a perfect board for larger curves in bigger waves. Both the boards are sold in pro or wood constructions; mine are pro models

SaltH20
123 posts
24 Nov 2012 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

I can't wait to demo an 8'2". Come on December. LOL - thanks BOB!

firesurf
53 posts
25 Nov 2012 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like you made a good decision with these boards. Plan to locate a dealer here in Fl. It would be great to read a future follow up from you after you had more time on both your new boards. Thanks

SaltH20
123 posts
25 Nov 2012 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

firesurf said...
Sounds like you made a good decision with these boards. Plan to locate a dealer here in Fl. It would be great to read a future follow up from you after you had more time on both your new boards. Thanks

Fire - The JP's won't be in FL until sometime in December. I have all ready spoke to Adventure Sports which is NP's #1 in FL and they won't have them for a few weeks. They are supposed to contact me when they get them in. I will let you know as soon as I here anything.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Fanatic Prowave 8'10" or JP surf pro 8'10"" started by Scottydc