23 posts
22 Oct 2011 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

I'm currently uncommitted to either board
and so the list came down to 2 boards
What are people opinion on either two?

this is my first board, it's an all round family board so don't worry about
specific ability....

people who has used these board what are the construction like?
durability, how it handle on the flat water and small wave? logistic wise, (probably wouldn't be an issue for me as I can carry 2x Hobie outfitter on my custom made rack for the car)

Thanks

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
22 Oct 2011 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Roe,

We had the 11' 2" Hobie ATR sitting on the rack in the shop for a couple of weeks before the fins arrived for it, so we just sat and admired it and were curious to see how it would go.

It's a little more old school in terms of plan shape and at 29.5" it isn't super wide, but it is quite stable. I finned it up and took it down to the river for a flat water session a week or so ago and was absolutely blown away at how well it paddled. It had amazing glide and top speed, more so than the Fanatic Fly's and I attribute this to the narrower width and flatter rocker line.

The Hobie ATR 11'2" is a thruster (2 + 1) setup which will catch the littlest bump and surf it well, very much long board style of surfing although it will get around reasonably well with the aid of the paddle and by keeping your weight well aft.

The deck pad is like walking on the finest shag pile carpet in the middle of the standing area with the foredeck and aft deck with a more aggressively textured full length deck pad. The soft smooth deck pad in the middle can be just a little slippery if charging up the board or rapidly changing direction on that surface, but this is more an observation than a criticism, it didn't effect my surfing it and was worth it totally for the comfort on your feet.

I reckon this board is a cracker and although it will be beaten by other boards in the surf, it's speed and glide in flat water make this more of a flat water/cruiser and small wave rider. A great board for family fun and paddles so well on the flat. You just don't feel like your pushing water like other bigger rockered boards. If you closed your eyes, you'd swear you were paddling a racer. The quality is excellent.

I'm a big fan!

DM

roe
23 posts
24 Oct 2011 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

I end up going with the Nalu 11'6 with Lou from Eastcoast SUP ..
he has been very helpful, hope this going to be a nice experience as
I don't buy too many big ticket item outside my state....

Also went with Nalu because there are a lot more review on the net than the Hobie
and I cant find a negative review on it and most couldn't fault it.

I have Hobie kayaks so nice to have a different brand.

thanks for a nice write up and great shot of the hobie ATR by the way,
it gives a good reference how big it is outside the show room.

This place has a decent shot of Nalu 11'6 in action
http://www.kenalu.com/forums/showcase-index/naish-stand-up-116/

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
24 Oct 2011 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Roe,

All good mate, The Naish will be a good board for you and the main thing is to be out there getting amongst it.

Hobie is relatively unknown to the SUP world as it has been mostly handled by Kayak retailers in the past who had it as a bolt on product rather than as a primary product in itself. This should change over the next few years.

Enjoy!

DM

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
24 Oct 2011 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats on getting the big Nalu..

I once said that if I only had one board that would be it.. There are so many big 11'6" boards now that are just as good if not better but I think the big 11'6" Nalu is a classic and I'm sure you'll love it.

I remember once talking to Robby about the big 11'6" and was surprised to hear him rave about that board.. I was thinking that he might think it's just a board for beginners and kooks.

Here's a pic that I took that day and you can see my 11'6" on my car.

Her's some more pics from that day.. www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Robbie-Naish-is-visting-Jan-Juc-Torquay/

Here's a better link with more pictures and a better pic of my old 11'6".. www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=3116.0

DJ

calbs
SA, 86 posts
27 Oct 2011 2:51AM
Thumbs Up

finally got the coin to get a board .i posted mana vs psh hull paddler about 2 weeks ago cheers for feed back .
i demoed psh hull 10'10 paddled .On river paddles ok but i didnt like the way it surfed seemed to roll like a boat imo.Waves were very mushy & slow.Tomorrow going to demo mana 10'.But after reading articles that if ony could have one board in Quiver people saying go the nalu so i might demo nalu 11.6 or 11.4 .In my last post i was after a board to cruiser with kids on and me be able to surf it 1 to 3 ft waves & have some fun this is whats all about . cheers guys for feed back moneys hard to come by want to make right choice of board & be stoked with it.
cheers calbs

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Hobie ATR 11'2 vs Naish Nalu 11'6" started by roe