Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Icon, Carrier or 10'5 wide point.

Created by Flaker > 9 months ago, 1 Mar 2011
Flaker
NSW, 122 posts
1 Mar 2011 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone compare the Coreban Icon, Simon Anderson Carrier and the Starboard 10'5 widepoint. Glide, Stability, tracking?
I'm 92kg and have an 11' NSP, I do mainly flat water but surf occasionally.

I want to keep the NSP and get a board more for surfing but still good enough for a "do all" board for holidays away.
I tried to demo a icon but it didn't happen. Instead I tried a Simon Anderson SAS.
I found it to be just a little too tippy in the chop. I was told I should go for the wider Carrier and that the Icon was even more unstable than the SAS.
Would the widepoint have too much volume for my intended purpose? I have been told I would be too light for it, as it is for 100kg plus guys

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

pulv
NSW, 6 posts
2 Mar 2011 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Flaker,
I just brought an ICON. I weight 95kg it's a great board I decided on buying it as it will still be usable when I become more experenced. I could've bought a more stable flat water SUP but this would have only become boring later on the ICON surfs like a dream and is good enough to cruise up the river. It's more tippy than a bigger board but you soon get used to it.

I would stick with the ICON and it's my first board. There are so many boards out there thatyou just need to jump in. Atleast with the ICON it has great resale value if you want a SUP for crusing only.
Good luck,
Pulv.

jasdeking
QLD, 1820 posts
2 Mar 2011 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

I have tried all 3

the best flat water paddler and surf board imo is the icon

it is tippier than the other 2 but stick at it...

the other 2 at 32 wide will feel more stable. i found the carrier did like to nose dive just a little so you had to watch and adjust for that.

or just go by name

carrier
widepoint
or
ICON

good luck

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
2 Mar 2011 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

HI Flaker.
I have tried all those boards and I am about the same weight as you, I found the wide piont at 32 wide with the extra volume a bit corky and to be honest just too wide. I also tried the 10'5 drive and found that a little more stable and it surfs really well too, it sits a bit lower in the water and was the most stable of the few I tried.
For what it's worth if your going to demo a few the Starboard 10'5 Drive is well worth a look.

akr
10 posts
2 Mar 2011 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

I've paddled all 3 i'm 105kg

SA -----i found it OK a little hard to find the sweet spot in the surf. i found unless you were in the right spot either the nose or tail began to sink. lateral stability was fine.

wide point----- I like the starbyies but i found this one quite corky. I'd imagine it would not feel dis-similiar to the NSP (i also have a whopper)

I've recently got an Icon not as stable, probably not as much glide but far superior in the surf.

I'd recommend demoing them if possible before making a choice

Good luck
Andrew

Turkish
QLD, 91 posts
2 Mar 2011 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Flaker, I have an Icon but havent ridden the other boards. The Icon was my first sup and at 100kg it floats really well. I don't do any flat water but in nice glassy conditions it glides nicely. It was tippy to begin with but after a bit of time I found I can balance in all conditions. As far as surfing goes - awesome!!! With the thruster setup it hits a bit of a max velocity braking with the standard centre fin (it makes a humming sound) but carves really well. I have a set of SA's and Jerry Lopez fins for the thruster setup and the board rockets and carves the waves apart.

As far as the width goes - we have a 9'5 mana and the extra width compared to the coreban is really noticeable when turning the board.

good luck with the board choice though - guess a bit of friendly opinions can make it tricky sometimes

sckitesurf
QLD, 191 posts
2 Mar 2011 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Simon, We have the icon in stock now to demo.
I am 105Kg & I would say the Icon is the superior board, & will "do all" but if you found the SAS tippy, as it sits lower in the water, you will fild the icon sit's higher in the water & is quite a bit looser. So Will do all but not in all conditions for you well not to start with. As I have all those boards I would go the Icon & use it as much as possible to get use to it.
I have found the Carrier A great all rounder, If I had one board & was 95kg or less. Surfs great love it in the wave to pump out some speed & power. Paddles well, is not tippy, but over 95kg "105" it is hard to find the sweet spot, from nose to tail, to fix this I stand one foot in front of the handle & one behind to transfer my weight as needed when paddling in the surf, flat water not a prob.
The 10'5" wide Point very comfortable board yes corky & feels like it pushes a bit of water as it has some what of a rocker for wave performance. I feel this is a true comfort board 95kg up & a performance board for 120 kg up when the Wopper would be lacking volume.
Hope that helps.

sckitesurf
QLD, 191 posts
3 Mar 2011 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hay Flaker come try this baby out.
Icon, 10" x 29".

Nice!

Flaker
NSW, 122 posts
4 Mar 2011 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all the personal replies and those on this page.
I think I need to test the icon. I won't be able to demo a board this week due to work but will do so next week.
That Icon in the pure version does look sweet and I think I may be leaning towards that board. I like white boards.
Cheers

Turtlehead
NSW, 7 posts
7 Mar 2011 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a Carrier. I've tried the buffalo and the SAS, but wanted something that could be used in the flat and surf as well when its tiny. I just used it in 2-3 ft gutless, slightly choppy rolling waves and it was fun. I had to do a decent paddle across a lake to get there and it seems to go fairly straight. Its pretty stable and easy enough to get onto waves without being too bouyant (I'm just under 90kg). I'd say it goes pretty good if thats what your after. If waves are any bigger you'd rather ride a shortboard?

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
16 Mar 2011 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Borrowed a SA Carrier today in clean fat waves. What a great board. It ran really well and surfed OK for a 10 ft X 32 wide board although I felt fin placement for me could have been better. You do notice the drop in volume compared to a 10ft Mana. Never surfed an Icon so can't comment.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Icon, Carrier or 10'5 wide point." started by Flaker