Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Leaky Makani 2014 adjustable paddle?

Created by foamballer > 9 months ago, 15 Oct 2013
foamballer
NSW, 406 posts
15 Oct 2013 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

I've got two Naish Makani adjustable paddles - one's the 2013 8.5" and the other is a new 2014 anti-twist 9".

The 2014 one has been great - nice feel, love the no-twist function and apparently they won't split like the old ones were prone to. However, I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, but the 2014 one seems to it seems to take in a fair bit more water through the handle. I'm not talking a lot of water - but enough to be noticable. Anybody else noticed this? or am I just falling off my board more?

PeterP
845 posts
15 Oct 2013 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Most, if not all adjustable paddles, will take in some water through the joint between the two shafts. No water should be coming in through the handle.

foamballer
NSW, 406 posts
15 Oct 2013 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah that's what I meant - between the two shafts (I guess at least - not sure where else it could get in). I found the 2013 version is very good in this regard and I rarely get any water in it and this is the one I use for surfing so it's underwater quite a bit. The 2014 one I use with my 14'er with downwinders. I come off "occasionally" (is there a word between "occasionally" and "frequently" ??) , but I'm off and back on the board in a matter of seconds - so not much opportunity for water to get in the paddle. Just thought it was odd. I guess the next question is whether anyone has come up with solution?

Stevehsl
NSW, 9 posts
15 Oct 2013 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2014 8" Makiani adjustable paddle and while it takes a small amount of water in the shaft, I have also found that it also takes water into as space immediately below the handle and a plug located about 75mm below the handle. When the water gets in it is almost impossible to get it out without punching a hole in the plug.

Surffx have replaced two handles for me so far and felt that it may have been in the first batch. The small amount of water is not a real problem but I have been back to them twice as a matter of principle as it should not happen. Surffx has been fantastic in addressing the problem but I am not sure that the issue is being addressed by Naish yet.

Steve

Bnesupgirl
QLD, 24 posts
15 Oct 2013 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

I have come across the same thing with my 2014 8" Makani adjustable paddle. I only got mine a couple of weeks ago and after taking it out a couple of times (not in the surf) I noticed it had water in the handle that I can't get out. Even if I leave it upright to try to drain some water stays in it. Other than that I agree it's a great paddle.
I haven't contacted the store I bought it from yet so I'll touch base with them and see what they have to say.

foamballer
NSW, 406 posts
16 Oct 2013 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Steve that's interesting about the plug - I have no idea what you're talking about - I don't think mine has one?
Although - what I did find when looking for the plug is a black plastic sleeve that was pushed up against the handle which I hadn't noticed before. It looks suspiciously like something that might help seal water out of shaft/shaft join. I hope this photo shows it (I slid it down the shaft a bit so it's easier to see). Where does it go?

Bnesupgirl - I haven't got the same problem as you, but when my old paddle was getting repaired, I borrowed one that had the same problem as you. There was a chip in the corner of the handle that was slowly letting water in, but then it couldn't get out. The chip was barely noticeable but was definitely the culprit. I drilled it out, let it drain and plugged it with some epoxy.

Stevehsl
NSW, 9 posts
16 Oct 2013 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Foamballer the plug on mine is located at about the same place as the small sleeve is shown in your photo but it is inside. I do not have the sleeve on my paddle. I was advised initially to punch a hole in the plug to let the water out but decided to swap the handle instead. If this is acceptable it begs the question why is it there in the first place. I was told that I was the only person the report the problem and then have it occur a second time it sounds like it is a manufacturing fault. There was a very slight leak around the join between the handle and the shaft which was only obvious when an occasional drop of water leaked out of the joint.
I have not used the third handle yet but have taken the extra precaution of putting some tape around the joint between the handle and the shaft.
Of course you can avoid getting any wafer into the shaft by not falling in!!!
Steve

PeterP
845 posts
16 Oct 2013 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like the issue with water between the plug and handle is caused by a small leak in joint between handle and shaft (or hole in handle) - this is easily fixed with a little epoxi. The plug is there to prevent the shaft from filling up with water which could cause the paddle to sink.

To make the paddle watertight at joint between the two shafts you'd have to tape it up which kind of defeats the purpose of an adjustable. Quick splashes on a downwinder shouldn't really cause to many problems - unless its a real lot of splashes!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Leaky Makani 2014 adjustable paddle?" started by foamballer