Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Most Forgiving 12.6 vs Open Category board

Created by jazbelle > 9 months ago, 27 Apr 2011
jazbelle
VIC, 71 posts
27 Apr 2011 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Yes l know theres no substitute for time on the water,but as someone who does 99.9% of their paddling on a river(on a 12.6 Starboard Pin) and also likes to get out onto Port Philip to do most of the great events that are put on over the Summer,l'm finding contending with the bay chop a bit of a battle.
Would like to stay in 12.6 class as lt means l can go back to driving a Van to fit it into,however if suitably convinced will keep my fwd and get a big board.
This was actually my Windsurfing experience where l ended up on a raceboard.
Also while on the topic any suggestions on best Van for carrying your 12.6.ie Merc Vito,Volkswagon,Hyundai,or Hiace
Thanks

This was my previous drive.Can't fit that in yer porche

faito anto
VIC, 181 posts
27 Apr 2011 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

I'm guessing people will want some biometric info on you before recommending a board...Basically, how much do you weigh?

jazbelle
VIC, 71 posts
28 Apr 2011 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry about that.Weigh in at 77kg.6ft.45yrs old.Using more the Hawaiian type stroke/big blade
May also be interested in the occassional downwinder
Thanks

faito anto
VIC, 181 posts
28 Apr 2011 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

If you are looking for a 12'6 more forgiving, consider a BOP style board (surf racing), rather than a board designed more for flat water racing. Also, for more stability go a little wider for something easier to balance, perhaps something 29 to 31 inches wide, rather than anything narrower than this.

jazbelle
VIC, 71 posts
28 Apr 2011 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Faito.Perhaps wide high volume Bop is good option.
Given the relatively shallow water in Port Philip ,the distance between waves is generally quite short in comparison to height,making for a tippy ride for someone like me who doesn't get out there much .
Curious if anyone with a long 16-18 ft board can tell me how it handles the conditions.
Ps. Dj or Wooz if you read this l managed to put the 10ft Mana through my windscreen the same day l picked it up.All good though ,me and the insurance company have arrangements in place(3rd one already)...need a van

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
28 Apr 2011 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think you can beat the 31" wide 12'6" Fanatic Fly.

Hey Con.. Bummer about your screen.. Was it a speed bump or a sudden stop?

DJ

jazbelle
VIC, 71 posts
28 Apr 2011 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dj.
lt was me when l got home forgetting to place the board high enough above the tailgate to gain an extra inch into the window cavity.Chocked it up now.
Last time it was a speed bump in my haste to get new board onto water.
Needless to say l always take it up on my insurance.So nice looking out of a new screen
Worst part is l then fell on my ass the next nite walking on the slipperry ramp down to studley park.damaged me,the rail and depressed the side fins in a whole centimetre.So if someone here doesn't convince me your 17 is the way to go l'm goin back to van world.Check out my pics of my previous van above

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
30 Apr 2011 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Mate, in the past coupla months I have been trying out every 12.6 and 14.0 race board I can lay my hands on and I have also had stability as one of my major wants/needs in a board without sacrificing too much paddle speed. So far the most comfortable board I have ridden - but maybe not the fastest in the flat is the starboard surf/race 12.6. I am very suprised by this board because it was the older model which was only 26.5 wide ! - even at this width it is more stable my my current 12.6 race board which is just over 28" wide and I really thought I was gunna struggle to stay on it. I have another three boards to try in coming weeks but a new surf/race in the newer width of 29.5 is going to be very high on my list.
Just FYI my requirements in a board are stability/good paddler (doesnt have to be a rocket)/very good in offshore conditions/handle a bit of surf/light to carry and load on the car. I am 75kg and about 185cm.

jazbelle
VIC, 71 posts
30 Apr 2011 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks.
That's pretty much echoes precisely my thougths at the moment,having already had a go on the new Starboard Race 12.6 .
Most likely van choice from advice given is either a Turbo Diesel Hiace or the Hyundai if it fits

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
30 Apr 2011 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

jazbelle said...

Thanks.
That's pretty much echoes precisely my thougths at the moment,having already had a go on the new Starboard Race 12.6 .
Most likely van choice from advice given is either a Turbo Diesel Hiace or the Hyundai if it fits

L

Outta curiousity which one did u paddle - what width ?

faito anto
VIC, 181 posts
30 Apr 2011 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

billboard said...

the starboard surf/race 12.6. I am very suprised by this board because it was the older model which was only 26.5 wide ! - even at this width it is more stable my my current 12.6 race board which is just over 28" wide

What's your current board?

jazbelle
VIC, 71 posts
30 Apr 2011 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

l paddled the 29.5 width.The exact same one DJ posted some pics of recently.

warwickl
NSW, 2222 posts
1 May 2011 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

I am interested in the 31" wide 12'6" Fanatic Fly as suggested by DJ.

I am 5' 8" 77kg and kite surfing is my main interest however to get through Autum I have now bought a 9' 4" Oxbow and am catching small waves OK.

Even with this option it seems that some flat water SUPing would be good so is the 31" wide 12'6" Fanatic Fly a good match?

I live at Lake Macquarie (Newcastel area) so plenty of flat water with varied conditions.

warwickl
NSW, 2222 posts
1 May 2011 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

PS

when I mean a good match for my Oxbow 9 4 I really mean a match for a different experience and to help build my fitness and SUP skills

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
1 May 2011 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

faito anto said...

billboard said...

the starboard surf/race 12.6. I am very suprised by this board because it was the older model which was only 26.5 wide ! - even at this width it is more stable my my current 12.6 race board which is just over 28" wide

What's your current board?

A 12.6 hand shaped lahui kai. Its an amazing board and hands down the fastest thing Ive paddled but I am looking for a more stable open water board.

MrMyagi
NSW, 204 posts
4 May 2011 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

Guys some really great advice in this thread.
I am a novice racer (only been doing it for a year) so this is my humble take on the 12'6 deal -
-I have a '09 DC 12'6 and she is only 27" wide - fast, loves runners, but can be hard work in cross chop - still a great board
-I also raced a Fanatic 12'6 (31" wide) a couple of times; 24h Endurance Race and an 8km ocean race - as fast and very stable (and forgiving when you are tired) - also a great board
-Recently I raced a Hobie 12'6 (27" wide); in an 11km Harbour Race - also fast, more stable than the DC, but I still had some issues in the cross chop. The 28" wide version would have been a better choice for me and the right width - I wish I had gone with that option. I think the Hobie offers the best compromise of all the boards I have paddled so far
- I have also paddled the 12'6 Starboard 'The New' carbon dug out and whilst it was very fast I found it too tippy for my skill level
- Lastly I have not paddled the Coreban 12'6 (29" wide) but I have been beaten a couple of times by them! I wouldn't discount this board as a stable and fast (and very surfable) racer

The Hobie, the DC, the Fanatic and the Coreban are all great boards - my humble advice is to try a Hobie 28" wide as a great all round race board and benchmark the others from it

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
4 May 2011 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

MrMyagi said...

Guys some really great advice in this thread.
I am a novice racer (only been doing it for a year) so this is my humble take on the 12'6 deal -
-I have a '09 DC 12'6 and she is only 27" wide - fast, loves runners, but can be hard work in cross chop - still a great board
-I also raced a Fanatic 12'6 (31" wide) a couple of times; 24h Endurance Race and an 8km ocean race - as fast and very stable (and forgiving when you are tired) - also a great board
-Recently I raced a Hobie 12'6 (27" wide); in an 11km Harbour Race - also fast, more stable than the DC, but I still had some issues in the cross chop. The 28" wide version would have been a better choice for me and the right width - I wish I had gone with that option. I think the Hobie offers the best compromise of all the boards I have paddled so far
- I have also paddled the 12'6 Starboard 'The New' carbon dug out and whilst it was very fast I found it too tippy for my skill level
- Lastly I have not paddled the Coreban 12'6 (29" wide) but I have been beaten a couple of times by them! I wouldn't discount this board as a stable and fast (and very surfable) racer

The Hobie, the DC, the Fanatic and the Coreban are all great boards - my humble advice is to try a Hobie 28" wide as a great all round race board and benchmark the others from it

the dc bop board that i was selling and then had second thoughts.

g] well i've been on all sorts of boards while i was getting it repaired. got it back today.
by far the best all round board i've ever been on. gets waves early, surfs, steers from the middlle and runs down waves/bumps in a gutter like a 14' er.
this the only board that can get anywhere near kelly margetts when we do in's and outs training

nearly made a big mistake

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
4 May 2011 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

billboard said...

Mate, in the past coupla months I have been trying out every 12.6 and 14.0 race board I can lay my hands on and I have also had stability as one of my major wants/needs in a board without sacrificing too much paddle speed. So far the most comfortable board I have ridden - but maybe not the fastest in the flat is the starboard surf/race 12.6. I am very suprised by this board because it was the older model which was only 26.5 wide ! - even at this width it is more stable my my current 12.6 race board which is just over 28" wide and I really thought I was gunna struggle to stay on it. I have another three boards to try in coming weeks but a new surf/race in the newer width of 29.5 is going to be very high on my list.

I'm intrigued as to why you would go to 29.5 if you had such a good experience with the old model, the 26.5 width. Surely the current 27.5 would be a better fit for you.

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
9 May 2011 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Most stable STARBOARD 12'6 x 31' not as fast because of the width but stable

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
10 May 2011 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

billboard said...

I'm intrigued as to why you would go to 29.5 if you had such a good experience with the old model, the 26.5 width. Surely the current 27.5 would be a better fit for you.

Yeah point taken mate. Guess I am just being over cautious as I intend to spend most of my time in open water. I tend to agree with you though and so long as starboard haven't pulled anything out of the width of the tail or other stability spots on the new models then the 27.5 will be fine.
I have now narrowed my decision down to two boards and the starby is definately one of them - the other gets a run next week. Geez its like christmas - getting so close to getting a new toy

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Most Forgiving 12.6 vs Open Category board" started by jazbelle