Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish 9'5" Mana 2014 vs. past models

Created by esg1968 > 9 months ago, 27 Dec 2013
esg1968
7 posts
27 Dec 2013 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

I see that the new 9'5" has quite a bit less volume than the previous Manas. I know it's an inch wider, but that is definitely not going to make up for that much reduction in floatation.
I'm 210 pounds and according to the Naish website, that is their maximum suggested weight for that model. I've sup'd 120 liter boards before. So I know I can handle 163 liters of volume, but that 190 liters was pretty nice when I tried out the older Manas.
Anyone tried both and can tell me the differences? Thanks!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
27 Dec 2013 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

I've used them both.. heaps.. btw I'm 6'4'' and 95kg.. [210lbs]

The new 2014 model is so so much better.. and also feels more stable.. even with less volume.

The old one was great.. The new one is awesome..

I have the Alana version because that's all they had in stock when I bought mine.. Welcome to the Breeze..

Winger19
21 posts
27 Dec 2013 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

DJ-sorry to hijack but curious to hear your thoughts as a surf mostly option of this board vs the Nalu 10.65 for someone who likes to ride a more progressive longboard style in thigh to head high conditions. Seems like you are having a lot of fun on this board. Cheers!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
27 Dec 2013 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kojack19 said..

DJ-sorry to hijack but curious to hear your thoughts as a surf mostly option of this board vs the Nalu 10.65 for someone who likes to ride a more progressive longboard style in thigh to head high conditions. Seems like you are having a lot of fun on this board. Cheers!

I think if you want a more progressive longboard style of board the new 10'6" Nalu is your board for sure..

If you just want a fun board that's easy to balance on.. Easy to catch waves.. and very easy to turn I think the Mana is the better choice.

Both awesome boards but very different from each other.

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
27 Dec 2013 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Think I saw two of the new mana at river today. They looked nice......said 9'5 by 32 on bottom......the people on them only knew the colour of their boards :)

esg1968
7 posts
28 Dec 2013 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

the few times I tried the previous manas, they didn't feel as floaty as 190 liters( even though that's what they're listed as). they didn't seem any floatier than 165 liter boards I've been riding.
I rode them in some head high waves, although a bit slopey, and it didn't feel corky at all. When I stepped back on the tail it turned really well! I did some very snappy, smooth cutbacks with all my weight into it. I was surprised how well it did actually.

I'll just have to try the 2014s somehow and see how different they feel.
small sups are fun on good, smooth waves, but that's usually when I take out my shortboard anyway. I want a bit bigger board for when the waves aren't so good and smooth.

superflavor
1 posts
10 Jan 2014 2:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
esg1968 said..

the few times I tried the previous manas, they didn't feel as floaty as 190 liters( even though that's what they're listed as). they didn't seem any floatier than 165 liter boards I've been riding.
I rode them in some head high waves, although a bit slopey, and it didn't feel corky at all. When I stepped back on the tail it turned really well! I did some very snappy, smooth cutbacks with all my weight into it. I was surprised how well it did actually.

I'll just have to try the 2014s somehow and see how different they feel.
small sups are fun on good, smooth waves, but that's usually when I take out my shortboard anyway. I want a bit bigger board for when the waves aren't so good and smooth.

Sorry guys but the old Mana 9.5 had an volume of only 140L. The lable on most of the production boards and on the naish website was wrong after disclosures of the naish marketing department. If found one 2013 Naish Mana 9.5 with the right lable on it. And thats what it feels like - 140 than 190 Liter...

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
10 Jan 2014 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks.. Maybe that's why the new one feels more stable..

esg1968
7 posts
16 Jan 2014 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

wow! very interesting! I thought those boards didn't feel like 190 liters! Did Naish say the labeling was a misprint? Or is 140 really the actual liters? Because that seems like to little.

Southwesterly
112 posts
18 Jan 2014 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

I've ridden the old Naish 9'5" Mana many times. It's about the same dimensions of my past three boards that I know the volume of. No way it was ever 190, and no way is it 140 liters. If I had to put a number on the old one, I'd say right about 160.

I haven't ridden the new one, but would like to try it out.

esg1968
7 posts
19 Jan 2014 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

I was always turned off of buying the 9'5" Mana because 190 was too much volume, but then I tried out my friend's, and loved it. In fact, I just bought one! And the specs say 4 inches thick and 140 liters on the bottom ( not 4 3/4 thick and 190 liters as advertised).
You'd think that a premium brand like Naish, that chargers top $$ dollar for their boards, would have their sh#t together!
Are there any Naish reps on this forum that can provide an explanation?
I wonder if anyone has the means of doing an independent measurement on the true volume of those boards?
What's up Naish?

esg1968
7 posts
19 Jan 2014 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

By the way, I read an old post from a few years back about somebody complaining about this same exact thing. So apparently this has been going on for years.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
19 Jan 2014 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
esg1968 said..

I was always turned off of buying the 9'5" Mana because 190 was too much volume, but then I tried out my friend's, and loved it. In fact, I just bought one! And the specs say 4 inches thick and 140 liters on the bottom ( not 4 3/4 thick and 190 liters as advertised).
You'd think that a premium brand like Naish, that chargers top $$ dollar for their boards, would have their sh#t together!
I wonder if anyone has the means of doing an independent measurement on the true volume of those boards?
What's up Naish?

I've talked to the Naish guys about this and they are equally not happy about it..
The problem is in the Cobra factory and they are often having to get onto them about these issues..
I know Starboard are having even more similar issues.. Let's hope they fix them soon.

Tayloria
NSW, 14 posts
1 Mar 2014 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn, nice videos. You have some nice looking spots, and mellow surf. Curious, I like the look of your 9'5" Naish. Have you tried the 9'5" Starboard WP? They are similar in statistics , but different plan shape, and I don't know how the profiles are. Naish are not so active here in Newcastle, and I have really good connections withthe Starboard agent, who is also a SB development rider. I have been on a 10'5" SB Drive for a while now, and looking to improve my surfability but also improve stability so the wider boards in the sub 10' range seem the go. I am an old surfer, about 5' 11" around 80kgs, happy on longboard surfing and surfing every day if I can, and now preferring a SUP.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
1 Mar 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

No.. Sorry I have not tried the new SB Widepoint.. But I've heard that it's pretty good.

Remember there's so much more to a board than just it's statistics..

Boards with the same length and width will be totally different with slightly different rockers/bottom shapes and rails.

Try and demo them both to compare them.

Tayloria
NSW, 14 posts
1 Mar 2014 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks. I'll have to. No hurry. The Drive is a great board, but big when you get into good waves. For my two cents worth, your Alana is a far better looking board than the traditional look of the Mana.
I had a chance to try the Starboard range at a SUP meet recently. Conditions were atrocious - strong onshore, 2' waves and nearly as much chop. After a quick adjustment to the length stability of the 9'5" WP was good, but I couldn't get a wave. 10'5" WP felt good, but I think would still be a lot of board to fit into my idead of good conditions - shoulder to just o'head and good shape.

OceanAddicts
QLD, 355 posts
Site Sponsor
2 Mar 2014 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

I've used them both.. heaps.. btw I'm 6'4'' and 95kg.. [210lbs]

The new 2014 model is so so much better.. and also feels more stable.. even with less volume.

The old one was great.. The new one is awesome..

I have the Alana version because that's all they had in stock when I bought mine.. Welcome to the Breeze..

DJ is on the money

SoCalGremmy
60 posts
3 Mar 2014 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

esg1968 said..

What's up Naish?

I've talked to the Naish guys about this and they are equally not happy about it..
The problem is in the Cobra factory and they are often having to get onto them about these issues..
I know Starboard are having even more similar issues.. Let's hope they fix them soon.

Hi DJ
New to SeaBreeze...
Any resolution on the stated volume of the Naish boards? I started SUP surfing about 14 months ago on a Hobie 11-2 ATR (190L); quickly traded up to the Mana 9-5 (stated volume 140L). Very user friendly; great learner-board. 4 months ago, I got my Mana 8-10 (stated volume 133L). It's taken many sessions to get comfortable standing/waiting, esp when it's choppy, but finally getting my sea legs. Am catching a lot of knee to shoulder size waves, dropping in, turning, cruising (not doing cutbacks, yet). Am interested in the Hokua LE32 series because they say it's stable but easy to turn. It would be nice to know the actual volume of my Mana 8-10 so I have a starting point.
Which size Hokua LE 32 do you think I should move into? I'm 1.79m and 81kg. I'd like a looser board that has the stability of my Mana 8-10.
First shipment finally hit Southern Calif about a week ago in very short supply, so, there aren't any dealers with demos.....

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish 9'5" Mana 2014 vs. past models" started by esg1968