Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Nalu 11'4 & PSH Gun 12' comparison

Created by Zeusman > 9 months ago, 30 Jul 2013
Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
30 Jul 2013 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hey gang

Has anybody out there ridden both? I currently keep a 11'4 Nalu as a big fun longboard & also like to ride it when the surf gets a bit bigger. I find its pretty loose for such alot of board & also noserides great. Been looking at the 12' PSH as an alternative lately but can't find any recent reviews(they all seem to be from 2009-2010) & would like to know how they compare. I understand one is a longboard shape & the other a big wave gun, however i reckon they'd have some similarities in the way they surf.

Cheers

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
30 Jul 2013 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

I've paddled both a fair bit.. IMO the 11'4" is the better board because I find the gun very flat and hard to turn unless you get back on the tail.. But I have friends with it and they love it.. Here's a past post about it.. www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/The-real-Gun/

DJ

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
30 Jul 2013 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

The Feeze is riding the 12 footer in this video. Loves it.

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
31 Jul 2013 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

If you just want to see the 12ft PSH in action view this one ...

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
31 Jul 2013 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

You milking the cows Robdog? The PSH 12 ftr is the go. Sorry DJ, have a look at what these boys regularly surf. Phill Paige swears by his, paddles well enough to get out to the 13th bombies, surf and then come back in. He is ripping that left apart!!!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
31 Jul 2013 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I check these vids out last night before I started this thread. Very nice fun looking waves! Makes me want one of these beasts even more!!! Looks to be plenty loose & paddle like a dream & thats pretty much what I'm after.
Just not sure if I want to sell my Nalu in order to get one. Need opinions from the community folks!!

So what do you all reckon?

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
31 Jul 2013 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

I've paddled both a fair bit.. IMO the 11'4" is the better board because I find the gun very flat and hard to turn unless you get back on the tail.. But I have friends with it and they love it.. Here's a past post about it.. www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/The-real-Gun/

DJ

Hey DJ,
I've looked at your thread before. Love all the pics! Gives you a very detailed look at it. Thanx.

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
31 Jul 2013 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Leroy13 said..

You milking the cows Robdog?

Early riser

chicken396
VIC, 59 posts
31 Jul 2013 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Robdog
Love your vids of Portland, bridgie way. And the Feeze rips on any sized board. Keep them coming.
Cheers

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
1 Aug 2013 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

I have the PSH 12,6 hull paddler hybrid ripper model , and its an awesome board.A bit heavy but can surf it in almost anything

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
9 Aug 2013 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chicken396 said...
Hey Robdog
Love your vids of Portland, bridgie way. And the Feeze rips on any sized board. Keep them coming.
Cheers

Pretty keen to get some more video of Dogman this week. All the best for a full and speedy recovery. Pete.

supthecreek
2616 posts
9 Aug 2013 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

I really enjoyed the videos as well. Great surfing on the big boards.

I noticed one thing about the red board. He only surfs the back half of the board. If you watch for it, the nose half never touches the water during an entire wave after takeoff.

I am curious how the added length comes into play. Is the appeal just for paddling out and easier takeoffs?

Don't get me wrong... I like seeing these boards used so well... just interested in your take on the benefits of length

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
10 Aug 2013 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

"Hi there robdogger! He answered his own question :) paddling and ease of catching waves. The turns do feel gr8 though!" Feezy

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
10 Aug 2013 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Well gang, looks like I found one. What size fin do you guys use when riding as a single? & what sort of thruster/quad set?

beerdead
NSW, 433 posts
11 Aug 2013 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

What's the volume of the 12' PSH. I can't bring it up from their website.

beerdead
NSW, 433 posts
11 Aug 2013 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Found it. On another site. :)

colas
5064 posts
11 Aug 2013 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
He only surfs the back half of the board. If you watch for it, the nose half never touches the water during an entire wave after takeoff.

Well, I guess it comes from 2 factors: such a length may not actually needed for these conditions, thus trying to reduce the turn radius + PSH boards typically must be turned from the rear, as opposed to "front footers" boards (more constant curve rocker, wide point forward). The advantages is that PSH boards has some "speed reserve" with the flatter rocker in the middle (3 parts rocker)

But yes, length in big waves is needed for paddling speed, both getting into the wave (which travels faster, and amplifies offshore winds climbing up the face), and for stability at speed getting down the face.
And of course survivability, to paddle like hell to escape the bombs :-)

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
19 Aug 2013 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Good comment Colas.

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Well gang, looks like I found one. What size fin do you guys use when riding as a single? & what sort of thruster/quad set?

Back fin is 135mm x210mm high. Side fins r 110 mm base x 115 mm high

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
20 Aug 2013 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

Thanx Robdog

Looks like you've got your center fin a fair way back in the box too!? You ever ride it as a single?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Nalu 11'4 & PSH Gun 12' comparison" started by Zeusman