Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

PSH 10'4" XWAA

Created by n8wx > 9 months ago, 5 Aug 2012
n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
5 Aug 2012 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

I have not written a review before but after the last 2 sessions I had on this board I couldn't believe how well it performed so I knew I had to.

The board may not be for everyone but it definitely suits me and is now my go to board no matter what the conditions.

I bought this board after trying a few boards that didn't quite fit the bill. I've been looking for a fun all-round board that I could surf in small & crappy conditions. I wanted it to be stable so I could relax and just have a good time & not get frustrated falling off.

I don't get out as much as I'd like / should so sometimes it's a few weeks between surfs. I weigh 105kg and also have 9'5 Naish Hokua that performs unreal in the surf however I find it challenging in less than ideal conditions.

Board Dimensions
Height 10'4"
Width 32 3/4
Thickness 4 7/8
Fin setup 5 – Only used 2+1 standard

This board is super stable so I wasn't sure how it would perform in the waves. I thought it would be a bit of a cruiser with slow long drawn out turns more long board style - boy was I wrong.

I've now taken this board out a few times in small clean and choppy surf and have got a feel for how the board surfs I must say I'm pretty impressed.

Paddling out is a breeze it glides along well considering its width and thickness it's very stable and pops over the waves nicely and punches through the wash.

The board turns quick & tight. I find it very efficient getting into position to catch waves – something that I tend to struggle with on a smaller board.

Paddling onto waves is effortless waves I don't think I could or have got onto it does and then takes off down the line.

The thing that surprised me the most is how nice it surfs on a wave I was able to do most things I wanted like taking off backhand, sharp pivit takoffs, trimming with speed along the face, nice controlled loose turns, today I even got a small barrel!!!

Cutbacks seem to take a little more work but as long as you step back and use the paddle it feels pretty good.

I also fine it tracks really well through the white wash I was able to beat many wash sections and make it back to the face. I thought it would just dig a rail and I'd fall off due to its size but it just holds it's line so nicely.

Overall I am very impressed with this board especially in the surf. I think it really makes surfing any waves from tiny to 4ft so much fun while also being a great board to practice moves on. In bigger surf it might be a bit much but I'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

Over the past few weeks I've had some of the best surfs I've ever had on this board so I thought I'd share the stoke. The best thing for me is having that board that just works no matter what the conditions or how out of form I'm in. This boards a keeper!

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
5 Aug 2012 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Some pics

wavelength
1195 posts
6 Aug 2012 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

It sounds like a fun machine. Great review and pix. Thanks for posting. There's so much info floating around but it's still rare to see this kind of detail. (But that's probably just as well, cos now i really want one of those boards.)

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
6 Aug 2012 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers mate demo 1 if you can. I knew straight away when I did which was only on flat water. Just stoked it surfs so well.

Sounds like ur in the same boat as me - weight & board wise so I'd def recommend it for ya.

oldbosun
9 posts
9 Aug 2012 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

I have to agree with n8 about the performance of the PSH XWAA. I bought the 9'11" X 34.25" model about 4 months ago and because of it I've had the best surfing summer ever, and that's out of over 50 of 'em! I started paddling 11 months ago and my sup surfing has improved tremendously on the PSH.

It is so stable and comfortable to paddle in just about any conditions that 3-hour sessions are now common. The first few times I had it out I thought, "uh oh" this thing won't turn. But when I finally got the foot placement dialed it became the performer I'd hoped it would be. As n8 said, easy to catch waves, and it will handle a fairly late take off (if I'm on my game). I've been riding it as a quad in waist to head high reefs and beach breaks, and I am constantly amazed at the acceleration it will generate off the rail. Wouldn't think this wide board should do that, but it does. I've surfed almost every day for the past 2 months and the PSH has made each day fun, regardless of the conditions.

There is one negative, this board dents really easily. I sometimes tap the rail with my paddle on the catch. Not hard typically, and not often, but there are dozens of little paddle dents on the forward area of each rail. There are also a bunch of little dents here and there from various and sundry knocks. I'm very careful with the board, but these dents keep showing up, and I normally can't recall the incident that might have caused it. I smacked the hell out of my old Blair while I was learning and it would sometimes chip the paint, but no dent. On the positive side, it doesn't chip :)

Irrespective of the denting issue, if I broke this one in half, I'd buy another one 'cause I love the way it surfs.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"PSH 10'4" XWAA" started by n8wx