Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard 10' 5" WP or 11'2" or other

Created by Leeeee > 9 months ago, 1 May 2012
Leeeee
WA, 11 posts
1 May 2012 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Howdy,

I am a 6'2" 93kg beginner and looking for my first board for general flatwater paddling, mucking around with kids and starting in the surf (possibly throwing a sail rig on for general fun too). Ultimately progressing to more surfing use - I can imagine keeping this longer board as an all rounder and getting something shorter when the surf skills improve.

The Starboards seem to be best represented here on the west coast. I have been considering the Blend 11' 2" as a starter or the 10'5" Widepoint. Which would be most stable? What would you go with?

I have ridden the 10' 5" Drive a bit but seem to need a bit more stability in chop at this stage. Dont like the Whopper much. Does anyone demo the 10 5" widepoint here in Perth?

I would be keen to hear what more experienced people think. Any help much appreciated.

cheers
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
1 May 2012 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Leeeee. I had the blend it was an awesome board, and event though it is a big board it still was plenty nippy in the surf and I used it for light wind sailboarding to. All around a great piece of kit. I now have the 9.5 wide point and it is just bloody awesome. Also use that as a sailboard from time to time and it rocks along nicely. When you say beginner, are you saying you have never surfed or you are just new to SUP. I am somewhat a more stockily bit lad and have topped out at 110kg (now a sprightly 93kg). I found the blend and the 9-5 both stable and relatively easy to paddle. The blend I would suggest is a better all around board as it is at home on still water and surf and allows you to do a bit of touring as well. These are just my thoughts on the boards and I am not pimping them up as due to a complete lack of talent I am not a sponsored rider :)

Leeeee
WA, 11 posts
1 May 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Greg,
thanks for the reply - i have surfed and also windsurfed a fair bit as a young fella although it has been a while. Also mucked around in holidays in the last couple of years on friends sups too.

The 9.5 WP sounds great from all the reports i have read. Is it pretty stable? Its only 155 litres volume, 32 wide.

As you pointed out, I am looking for an all round board at this stage and may look to progress to a more surf specific board like the 9.5wp.

I have been to 110kg too and trying to avoid that place! Appreciate your help.
Leeee

mmhard
NSW, 72 posts
3 May 2012 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Gday Leeeee I have had the 10'5 widepoint for about 18 months and it is a great all round board but i am now riding the 9'5, much better wave board for my weight 110kgs. The 10'5 i have kept for a point type board and for paddling with the kids, an option for want you want may be the 10'5 now and maybe the 8"10 as a wave board down the track.
Good Luck

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
3 May 2012 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Where abouts are you Leeeee?

Leeeee
WA, 11 posts
3 May 2012 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom,
I am in Perth.

cheers,

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
3 May 2012 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Leeeee I have nothing but good things to say about the 9-5. It really is a rocking board.

supmarine
2 posts
4 May 2012 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Leeeee said...
I am a 6'2" 93kg beginner and looking for my first board for general flatwater paddling, mucking around with kids and starting in the surf (possibly throwing a sail rig on for general fun too). Ultimately progressing to more surfing use - I can imagine keeping this longer board as an all rounder and getting something shorter when the surf skills improve.

Blend sounds like the better option to me. You can compare the boards also easily in the performance overview at the starboard site and deside what characteristics you find more valuable. Let us know what you've decided.

http://www.star-board-sup.com/2012/product/performance-overview

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
5 May 2012 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Agreed, if you are looking for an all around board the Blend will always win. Good glide, stable, fun in little surf. I always got a real old school buzz out of surfing mine and then you throw a mast on it and its like stepping back in time, but with none of the bad bits of longboard sailing.

I just reckon that for the average punter starboard have most things nailed (except for their race boards which I reckon Fanatic have the best little toys).

Like I said only my opinion.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
5 May 2012 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hey mate, we have a demo 10'5 widepoint if you get stuck as well as few other great options?

We are based opposite the water at 260 Safety Bay Rd Safety Bay.

Regards,
Jason
West Oz Boardsports
Sales: 0411 510 514 (Jason)
Lessons: 0438 591 755 (Sonya)
www.westozboardsports.com.au

Leeeee
WA, 11 posts
8 May 2012 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, WOK I will come down and check it out.
thanks all for the input

maxsonic
6 posts
8 May 2012 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

If you have a shop available to demo Starboard boards, give the 11'2" x 36" Avanti a go also. I tried it out for SUP Surfing at Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, and I preferred it over the 11'2" x 30" Blend.

The Silver AST Finish has the sealed mast track insert for wavesailing in small surf conditions.

MAX
San Diego, CA

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
8 May 2012 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Max how does it turn at 36 inches wide? Id reckon it would be a bit hard to bury a rail.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
8 May 2012 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

gregc said...

Max how does it turn at 36 inches wide? Id reckon it would be a bit hard to bury a rail.

Eat more...........its not so hard then

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
9 May 2012 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

he he, I eat heaps

maxsonic
6 posts
10 May 2012 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

gregc said...

As my friend "Big Frank" told me about his Jimmy Lewis 11'6" Cruise Control, "when you put 260 on the tail, she turns pretty good!"

Max

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
21 May 2012 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Leeeee
It would be interesting to hear how long you stuck at the STARBOARD 10'5 x 30 Drive as this would suit a lot of what you described in your opening comments & like all things what may initially seem a little difficult soon becomes a load of fun ..

You mentioned you have done a lot of surfing & sailing so the 10'5 x 30 offers a really nice glide in to waves , down the line cruise & then when you wish for it to turn drop the knee , smile & enjoy the stylin' cutback.

The 10'5 x 32 WIDEPOINT is also an awesome board , however more directed toward the surf whereas reading your "WANTS" on your original post you would like the option to play & paddle with your kids & based on that alone you will find the 10'5 x 30 a nice board to have the kids on the nose of ( assuming they are not teenagers) & for flat water paddling with the family again this board will be fantastic as a cross over ..

Please let me know if you are still having any difficulty sourcing a 10'5 x 32 WIDEPOINT for demo , so you can compare them in your own mind & Id be happy to help you locate the nearest option if it is at all difficult.

Cheers Pete

Ive attached a few pics of the 10'5 x 30 showing it is a load of fun & surfs unreal..

**disclosure; Ive taken on a role in addition to my current position on the STARBOARD R&D team for the surf sup program along side Scotty McKercher to now offer assistance where ever possible to paddlers so that they can be standing on the boards best suited to them with correct information & the best possible service in locating their nearest outlet .. Cheers Pete

Leeeee said...

Howdy,

The Starboards seem to be best represented here on the west coast. I have been considering the Blend 11' 2" as a starter or the 10'5" Widepoint. Which would be most stable? What would you go with?

I have ridden the 10' 5" Drive a bit but seem to need a bit more stability in chop at this stage. Dont like the Whopper much. Does anyone demo the 10 5" widepoint here in Perth?

I would be keen to hear what more experienced people think. Any help much appreciated.

cheers
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Leeeee
WA, 11 posts
22 May 2012 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Gday, Pete.

Not much time on the drive really but enough to know that i am wobbly in flat water - the 93 kg also mysteriously jumped to 100 over summer.

cheers
Leeee

supthecreek
2616 posts
23 May 2012 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

gregc & Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I rode an Avanti 11'2 X 36" as my first SUP from July 11 to April 12
I was 132 kg when I bought it
I surfed and paddled that board down to 105 kg
I loved it, but I was ready for smaller... got a 9'6 Allwave, which is incredible!
I missed the glide and and rough water stability of the Avanti, so I bought a 2012 Cabrinha 10'8 x 34 C series Wood for flatwater and small surf. Haven't surfed it yet.

Back to the question "How does it turn at 36" wide?"
Great!!! You put your back foot ON the stomp pad and put BOTH feet close to the rail.
I can still turn it the same even after losing 27kg... it's not weight... it's technique.
I surfed that huge board in lots of double overhead ++ reef waves... fast and surprisingly agile. The only thing it does NOT do well is come off the top easily... I usually fell faster than I could get the board to follow.

Here's a bunch of pics that show proper foot placement necessary to turn a Big Ass Board and some results

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
23 May 2012 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

I was 132 kg when I bought it , I surfed and paddled that board down to 105 kg

Wow nice job Rick great effort mate 27 kegs lighter.

Leeeee
WA, 11 posts
24 May 2012 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

yeah great effort, nice pics too - you make throwing that big old board around look easy!

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
25 May 2012 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

great pics SUPTHECREEK & awesome effort on losing the kegs .. woo too the benefits of an amazing sport ..

supthecreek
2616 posts
26 May 2012 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys
Yeah... i owe SUP big time...
Last July I was a 63 years old, too big and struggling to "Pop up" on my longboard
Seemed as if my 48 year surfing life was fading into the sunset...

Then I just up and bought the Avanti... never even stepped on any SUP before I bought it...

SUP resuscitated my surf life

I can't tell people how much it has done for me

The Avanti was the perfect board for the job... I highly recommend it to any one in similar circumstances.

Now I SUP surf or paddle almost every day
and my surf sup is now shorter than my longboard

supthecreek
2616 posts
27 May 2012 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

I'm baack...

I got a PM that asked about the glide of the Avanti for getting into waves.
I wanted to use picture to answer the query so I will post that part of my reply
here.

The Avanti paddles VERY easily and has great glide for such a wide board... it's width really helps get in early. I have a movie my daughter took where I got 4 turns in before the 2' wave even came close to breaking.... now THAT'S fun... short SUPs are great, but it's hard to beat the cruise factor of a Big Ass SUP.

One thing about getting in early on a board like the Avanti... the width gives the Avanti a curvy outline which adds agility... add good speed and an early takeoff and you have a great "surfability" factor. It makes surfing fun and adds "rippability" to marginal waves

The Avanti is certainly a "tanker" and it's heavy... but once in the water it's lots of fun.
Keep in mind that it is a LOT of board when you are around other people... it sometimes scared me when I was out in double overhead thumping beach break... It banged me up plenty of times... but I never got even close to hitting any one else while I had it... it's one of the responsibility's of surfing a board that big.

The pictures show a HUGE me at 133 kg, getting into small waves very early, a testament to the Avanti's glide. They also show that it provides enough speed early on to allow setting up a good turn.... even before the wave breaks

Plus a picture showing paddle stability as I go over the top of a breaking wave.... that picture is so disturbing to me I'll throw in a picture of me on my 9'6 Allwave, paddling flatwater at 105 Kg on 174 Liters (9'6 x 32") very good glide for a super loose Surf SUP.

gotta put those last two on the fridge.... lest I forget

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard 10' 5" WP or 11'2" or other" started by Leeeee