Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard 2014 8'2" WP Feedback

Created by Rossall > 9 months ago, 20 Nov 2013
Rossall
WA, 711 posts
20 Nov 2013 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone riding the new 8'2" WP , any feedback compared to 2013 or 8'10" , thinking of moving down a size

Phil

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
20 Nov 2013 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Already Phil? Should have held out for the new one.

SaltH20
123 posts
20 Nov 2013 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Marco G. posted about the 8'2" WP about a month ago. He liked it and he is not a huge fan of wide boards! He liked it better out of the box than the 31.5 Airborn. I have ridden the 2013 8'10" WP and have ordered the 2014 8'2" in brushed carbon. I can't wait for them to arrive in my area.(US)

Would love to hear feedback from any others.

windara
QLD, 256 posts
21 Nov 2013 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Phil. Yeh Im riding the 2014 8"2 wide point and love it. Light, fast and floats me fine at 92 kilo.

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
21 Nov 2013 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surf4fun said..
Already Phil? Should have held out for the new one.

Planning ahead for the 8'2" Cam :-)

SaltH20
123 posts
21 Nov 2013 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windara said..

Hi Phil. Yeh Im riding the 2014 8"2 wide point and love it. Light, fast and floats me fine at 92 kilo.

Can you post pictures of it? PLZ

Also, have you ridden other WP's, if so how would you compare the new shape for 2014?

Thanks in advance.

Again, would love to see some actual photo's..rocker, rails,etc, etc

windara
QLD, 256 posts
22 Nov 2013 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

I put a couple in the gallery. Seems hard to get photos on this page...?

SaltH20
123 posts
22 Nov 2013 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windara said..

I put a couple in the gallery. Seems hard to get photos on this page...?

Thank you for the pictures Wind!!!

What type of conditions have you had it out in?

What do you weigh?

Thanks again for the pictures!!!

windara
QLD, 256 posts
22 Nov 2013 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

Ive only had it a couple of weeks but ridin it in glassy conditions, beach breaks. Im 92 kilo and it floats me nice, not corky. It catches waves nice and you can turn hard at the top and those quads bite nice. Its really light and Im having fun getting used to it!

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
22 Nov 2013 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Windara managed to get one across from the gallery

windara
QLD, 256 posts
22 Nov 2013 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Ha thanks......must have done it by mistake! My internet is s@#% anyway

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
22 Nov 2013 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

I love my 8'10 WP. I was a little on the larger side and it floats me like a charm. I reckon I could go down to an 8'2 without a worry but I just think going too short takes away something from SUP.

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
23 Nov 2013 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone ridden the 2013 and the new 2014 .

SaltH20
123 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone have this board in punchy beach break with a little bit a wind on it yet? How is it? Paddling into an onshore?

I was in some chest/head with shifty peaks wishing I had a shorter board the other day...come on baby get here!!!!

SaltH20
123 posts
26 Nov 2013 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Found this

windara
QLD, 256 posts
26 Nov 2013 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Salt, Yeh Ive ridden in onshores and not a big fan but found if I bend my knees a little more and paddle hard its ok. Nice footage and that guy is riding sweet. But I may be wrong but his board looks like an older version- and the board looks a little longer, maybe the 9'5 wide point, but thanks anyway for posting!

warwickl
NSW, 2223 posts
26 Nov 2013 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

I am very interested in these boards and believe one has a windsurf fitting so I guess a bit heavier than carbon. Can I get some feed back on the comparison and weight difference plus if the weight impacts on performance, I am 76 kg.

cyberhusky
VIC, 68 posts
26 Nov 2013 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Tried it at Merimbula on the weekend, got my order in today. Sweet board.
BTW, from the catalogue and website pics, it doesn't look like any of the different constructions have the windsurfing plugs in the 8'2".
The Starboard 2014 website is now live and has all the board weights and recommended rider max weights.

SaltH20
123 posts
27 Nov 2013 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windara said..

Hey Salt, Yeh Ive ridden in onshores and not a big fan but found if I bend my knees a little more and paddle hard its ok. Nice footage and that guy is riding sweet. But I may be wrong but his board looks like an older version- and the board looks a little longer, maybe the 9'5 wide point, but thanks anyway for posting!

Wind,
That video is straight from the Starboard Website!!! When he is paddling back out you can tell that it is the 8'2" WP. It is the AST Electric Blue version. I doubt Starby would attach a video to a board if it wasn't the board. I know they have shown other boards when advertising a certain one but, a video, that would be a bit much. I am pumped and can't wait for mine to arrive already.

windara
QLD, 256 posts
27 Nov 2013 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Salt, Fair enough. Looks like fun waves to be in. Yeh you goin to love the board. Its so light and very responsive. I put a little bit of deck grip on cas I was wearing out the skin under my big toes ha, but I find that star touch deck to be really grippy. I almost went for the 8"10 but glad I gone the new shape 8"2. Have fun!!

SaltH20
123 posts
27 Nov 2013 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windara said..

Hey Salt, Fair enough. Looks like fun waves to be in. Yeh you goin to love the board. Its so light and very responsive. I put a little bit of deck grip on cas I was wearing out the skin under my big toes ha, but I find that star touch deck to be really grippy. I almost went for the 8"10 but glad I gone the new shape 8"2. Have fun!!

Thanks Wind!!

I am up in the air when it comes to pad or no pad. I have ridden a BC w/ST...I agree that it is nice and grippy but not sure I want to stand on just that or deal with it removing skin while climbing on and surfing. Considering the OAM S. Trout grey/blue/white or cutting up some pad and making a design while keeping it light and super grippy.

Did you sand the deck before applying the pads or just peal and stick?

Paddlesurf
WA, 12 posts
27 Nov 2013 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Try IOPS 8 6 x32

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
27 Nov 2013 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Still after a 8'2" WP 2013 / 2014 direct comparrison anyone ?

On the subject of the OAM Trout, no need to cut, it comes in an array of segments to suit any design, infact i have a load left over from my 8'10" for my next board

Phil

windara
QLD, 256 posts
27 Nov 2013 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

hey Phil I know someone who rode both the 2013 and 2014 8'2 wide point and he reckon there were clear improvements like more responsive, better rail to rail and generally loser. I rode a similar sized JP but not in carbon and still like the SB better. But Im still learning and getting used to it

windara
QLD, 256 posts
27 Nov 2013 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaltH20 said..

windara said..

Thanks Wind!!

I am up in the air when it comes to pad or no pad. I have ridden a BC w/ST...I agree that it is nice and grippy but not sure I want to stand on just that or deal with it removing skin while climbing on and surfing. Considering the OAM S. Trout grey/blue/white or cutting up some pad and making a design while keeping it light and super grippy.

Did you sand the deck before applying the pads or just peal and stick?

Hey Salt, I just washed the board down clean and dry and stuck it straight on. Seems fine so far. I thought about wax but that may be harder to get off if you had to

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard 2014 8'2" WP Feedback" started by Rossall