re

ez

li

ng

s,

Pi

ck

ed

up my new 9'8" Pro yesterday & as I said in a previous thread, I liked pretty much everything about it except the handle placement. Yep, Starby got it wrong. I never got to see a 2013 model so i'm not aware wheather they got it right last year or not, but I did own a 2012 9'8 & it was fine. Really can't get my head around how this mistake was made & really there is no excuse for a company that has been doing this for so long already, making such a dumb mistake, especially considering the premium prce tag associated with one of their Brushed Carbons.

Negatives out of the way.

I weighed it this morning on my digital scales. With fins, leash & a tail pad only, it came in at 7.8 kilos. Very impressive for a board its size I thought.

Went over to Manly this morning as it was the only place in Sydney that had a bit of protection from the southerly wind. The short walk from the car to the beach should've been no problem at all. But that handle placement means you are holding the board out in front of you while squeezing it against your body with your elbow & upper arm to stop the tail from hitting the ground. This is both fatiguing & F#$king annoying!!!!........ Sorry.... I did say Negatives out of the way didn't I....

Anyway, Surf was 1-2 foot & cross off shore. As soon as i hopped on I instantly found it plenty stable & paddled beautifully. First little right hander, 2 paddles & I was in. Board bottom turned well & came off the top quick & precise. Very easy to throw around.

Haven't put a deck pad on yet but will probably do it this arv. Found the Star Touch to be ok but not really my cup of tea. It kinda feels as though your foot could slip off easily in a critical turn on a bigger, faster wave.

Stayed out about an hour & came in feeling well pleased with the boards performance..... Then I picked it up again........

Don't know how this one's gonna pan out gang. The board is super light, paddles great, is super stable & is very easy to throw around in the surf. Ticks mostly all the boxes for me... However,I live in Bondi. I walk to the beach with my boards. Usually through crowded streets. & then walk home again usually pretty wrecked after two hour sessions. Battling to keep my board off the ground after said two hour sessions, it will probably not take very long before I think to myself "...k this!!" & trade it on something else.

Disapointed Mr Starboard! You were soooo close.

windara
QLD, 256 posts
5 Nov 2013 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Hi

B

re

ez

li

ng

s,

Pi

ck

ed

up my new 9'8" Pro yesterday & as I said in a previous thread, I liked pretty much everything about it except the handle placement. Yep, Starby got it wrong. I never got to see a 2013 model so i'm not aware wheather they got it right last year or not, but I did own a 2012 9'8 & it was fine. Really can't get my head around how this mistake was made & really there is no excuse for a company that has been doing this for so long already, making such a dumb mistake, especially considering the premium prce tag associated with one of their Brushed Carbons.

Negatives out of the way.

I weighed it this morning on my digital scales. With fins, leash & a tail pad only, it came in at 7.8 kilos. Very impressive for a board its size I thought.

Went over to Manly this morning as it was the only place in Sydney that had a bit of protection from the southerly wind. The short walk from the car to the beach should've been no problem at all. But that handle placement means you are holding the board out in front of you while squeezing it against your body with your elbow & upper arm to stop the tail from hitting the ground. This is both fatiguing & F#$king annoying!!!!........ Sorry.... I did say Negatives out of the way didn't I....

Anyway, Surf was 1-2 foot & cross off shore. As soon as i hopped on I instantly found it plenty stable & paddled beautifully. First little right hander, 2 paddles & I was in. Board bottom turned well & came off the top quick & precise. Very easy to throw around.

Haven't put a deck pad on yet but will probably do it this arv. Found the Star Touch to be ok but not really my cup of tea. It kinda feels as though your foot could slip off easily in a critical turn on a bigger, faster wave.

Stayed out about an hour & came in feeling well pleased with the boards performance..... Then I picked it up again........

Don't know how this one's gonna pan out gang. The board is super light, paddles great, is super stable & is very easy to throw around in the surf. Ticks mostly all the boxes for me... However,I live in Bondi. I walk to the beach with my boards. Usually through crowded streets. & then walk home again usually pretty wrecked after two hour sessions. Battling to keep my board off the ground after said two hour sessions, it will probably not take very long before I think to myself "...k this!!" & trade it on something else.

Disapointed Mr Starboard! You were soooo close.

Hi Zeusman, Board looks great and the colours set it off. Why didn't you ask for another board? Maybe just that board had a mistake with the handle placement? That would drive u crazy! :)

SupaTrooper
QLD, 243 posts
5 Nov 2013 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the 2013 model 9'8" and they got the handle wrong on that as well....too far forward...use the leggy over the shoulder to carry over long distances but surfs great

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
5 Nov 2013 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SupaTrooper said..

I've got the 2013 model 9'8" and they got the handle wrong on that as well....too far forward...use the leggy over the shoulder to carry over long distances but surfs great

Hey Supa,

Yeah I did the old leggy shoulder strap thing with my first 9'10" Hokua. But Naish realised their mistake early on & went back to the factory & made sure there were only a short run of them with the wrong handle placement. If Starby got it wrong last year & still haven't rectified it, then thats pretty lame.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
7 Nov 2013 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Just came in from my second surf on this board & I am ABSOLUTELY FROTHING!!!

It was 2-3 foot long rights with a bit of push to it. Paddles in early, late drops were easily handled, rips & tail slides off the top, took off a few times behind the peak & a couple of pumps down the line & it accelerates quick to the next section. The board felt as though it wanted to be surfed agressively..... & I happily obliged it. Think I may have just had the best surf of my life!

NE wind picked up making it pretty choppy & I didn't fall off once.

This board really fits me like a glove..... Only drawback is that bloody handle.

Nevertheless, STOKED

SupaTrooper
QLD, 243 posts
7 Nov 2013 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Absolutely agree, luv my 9'8" as it rips like a board a foot shorter than it is and very stable even in the chop & so easy to back out to the take off zone after a 300 meter ride at the alley.....it's performance capacity is the thing that makes puttin up the blood handle....

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
7 Nov 2013 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Aww yeah but how many naked chicks can you get on it?

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
7 Nov 2013 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Snowie said...
Aww yeah but how many naked chicks can you get on it?

Haha!!! Dunno?? Hope I find out

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
8 Nov 2013 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Try attaching paddle like this to counter balance the tail if too tail heavy for position of handle.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
8 Nov 2013 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
robdog said...
Try attaching paddle like this to counter balance the tail if too tail heavy for position of handle.

Interesting Robdog. I'll try it. Thanx.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard Pro 9'8" 2014 Brushed Carbon" started by Zeusman