Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

starboard 8.10x32widepoint

Created by spencer > 9 months ago, 8 Dec 2010
spencer
TAS, 185 posts
8 Dec 2010 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

hi,was wondering if anybody has had a paddle on the widepoint at the sup demo tour going around the country,would it be a option for a big guy (100kg)?TA

SammyJ
WA, 570 posts
8 Dec 2010 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

spencer said...

hi,was wondering if anybody has had a paddle on the widepoint at the sup demo tour going around the country,would it be a option for a big guy (100kg)?TA

Yes it would, it's 151L.

The real question is has starboard improved their construction so boards don't snap on 1ft waves.

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
9 Dec 2010 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

I had a couple of waves on it at the demo and found it incredibly stable even in a bit of side slop but I am only 75kg. I am going to borrow a mates for a coupla days and I will also get another mate who is about 95kg to have a go and will post some feedback or pm you if you like.

Piros
QLD, 6996 posts
9 Dec 2010 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Checked out the new Starboard range at Merimbula.....can't understand why the boards are so wide which such a high volume it seems they are targeting the big fellas , just does'nt seem to suit the Aussie market. Just an observation not knocking the product.

Rob

AkeG
132 posts
9 Dec 2010 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

It's about time someone realized that bigger guys are interested in performance SUP-ing ,too! Nice to have a few options out there for a change.

Gregos
SA, 36 posts
10 Dec 2010 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

spencer said...

Gregos
SA, 36 posts
10 Dec 2010 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

spencer said...

woop....sorry about that...
been surfing the wide point a fair bit lately and have had the chance to try it in varying conditions too......and i have come to the conclusion that i think it is built for about your weight dude.......especially when its a bit smaller surf...its super floaty for me(80 kg) so i reckon you would dig it.....you could bury a rail without having to nurse it at all at about 90-100 kg's.....
and you'd probably dig it as a quad too.....as i said before tho spencer, i hated it as a quad for my weight....really had to nurse the turns in pushy waves...
peace

spencer
TAS, 185 posts
10 Dec 2010 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

ta, thanks for the great advice on the 8.10,im waiting now for the sup tour to hit our tropical shores in late dec and give the baby a blast, its going to complete my sup quiver with the monster 11.6 and the big yellow banana mana 10 already in the shed.it would be great if there was more choice on sub 9 sups for us larger chents who can bury a rail, unless i lose 25plus kgs im stuck with a limeted choice.keep you posted

hirschausen
WA, 421 posts
23 Dec 2010 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

A quick couple of questions, I'm 79kg's and considering the 8'10" as I have a long paddle to the break over some weird water (moving around reef bombies). Is this board an easy paddler considering it's volume?. Second, is it going to be too floaty for me on a wave with it's 150L volume?. I'm not riding any extreme waves - nice big fat Mal waves.

worrier
WA, 726 posts
26 Dec 2010 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

I Sup the bombies you are talkin about Hirsch most days.
Im on the 9'5 mana. Plenty of volume and very floaty.
Give me a yell if you wanna have a try. Seems to work well for me
W

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
27 Dec 2010 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

hirschausen said...

A quick couple of questions, I'm 79kg's and considering the 8'10" as I have a long paddle to the break over some weird water (moving around reef bombies). Is this board an easy paddler considering it's volume?. Second, is it going to be too floaty for me on a wave with it's 150L volume?. I'm not riding any extreme waves - nice big fat Mal waves.

Just my personal opinion but - I am 75kg and I love this little board but it is not a great paddler - it would be fine for a beachy where you didn't have to go too far but it is short and fat and rockered so its never gunna be a rocket ship. Also for big fat mal waves I reckon a slightly longer starby - like a 9.1 or 9.8 would be so much more fun and a hugely better paddler. If I could afford to have a second sup just for those crappy onshore beachy days then I wouldnt hesitate to have the 8.10 in my quiver cos its just sooooooooo stable and so much fun but for a one board quiver I reckon there are better starboards in the range.

Gregos
SA, 36 posts
30 Dec 2010 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

hirschausen said...

hey there dude, i have one of these and its super stable...i'm about your weight....sweet spots a little smaller when theres a bitta backwash etc...i actually think it paddles pretty well....but its a fat short board....i just got a 9'6 psh....and i havent ridden my starboard since.....but the starboard is a bit slower and mallier(if thats a word)... crap as a quad in my opinion for light guys but pretty decent as a tri....i'd find something a lil' thinner, skinnier and longer man.
peace

akr
10 posts
30 Dec 2010 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

I have ordered 8'10 x 32 for a trip to PNG in Feb just a bit nervous its not going to be any good for my 105Kg. Does any one have any feed back, it might not be to late to change. I thought it would be a good board length wise to travel with instead of trying to take my Whopper. I've paddled it on the demo tour in flat water without difficulty, I would really appreciate some surf feed back.

Just as a point of interest i went on the starboard site and noticed a photo of some bloke carving on the 8'10. This made me feel a little reassured until i noticed the same bloke {on the same wave with the same clouds} carving on a different starboard board. Bloody photo shop i reckon this is pretty poor form, Just basic dishonesty i believe , any opinions?

standupper
387 posts
30 Dec 2010 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

akr said...

I have ordered 8'10 x 32 for a trip to PNG in Feb just a bit nervous its not going to be any good for my 105Kg. Does any one have any feed back, it might not be to late to change. I thought it would be a good board length wise to travel with instead of trying to take my Whopper. I've paddled it on the demo tour in flat water without difficulty, I would really appreciate some surf feed back.

Just as a point of interest i went on the starboard site and noticed a photo of some bloke carving on the 8'10. This made me feel a little reassured until i noticed the same bloke {on the same wave with the same clouds} carving on a different starboard board. Bloody photo shop i reckon this is pretty poor form, Just basic dishonesty i believe , any opinions?

Ha Ha too funny about the photoshopping. I hadn't noticed.

As far as the 8'10 goes I havn't tried one but used to own a SB Hero which is similar ( slightly bigger dimensions but with less volume) and it floated my 95kg easily. The 8'10 looks like a really cool board. After a bit of falling you should be fine. Let us know how it goes.

Gregos
SA, 36 posts
30 Dec 2010 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

akr said...

dude i think it will be sweeet for you hey! i can get it carving and i'm just on 80 kg......but thats with me pushing hard.....i wish i had the extra kilos to sink it coz i rekon it'd be the bomb.....i have surfed the hero too, and prefered the thickness of the hero but found the nose spooned when you were working down the line on a steeper wave....the wide point surfs similar but more floaty.....so some extra kilos should be awesome. i too have a whopper and find the 2 very similar....but obviously the sweet spot is smaller on the wide point....i just notice it bobs a little for me in backwashy or choppy stuff....but once again, if i were heavier, wouldnt be a problem.

akr
10 posts
1 Jan 2011 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

with regards to the photoshopping of the starboard 8'10 on the starboard website,
i see someone has asked the question but they declined to offer an explanation i wonder how long before they remove their dirty little secret?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"starboard 8.10x32widepoint" started by spencer