Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

10'6" - 10'8" - newbie

Created by wakamole > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2009
wakamole
WA, 21 posts
10 Feb 2009 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

In Perth and down the south west in the last two weeks I have been introduced to this sport by my 60 y.o. (fanatic) uncle who has a quiver of 4.

I have been in the fortunate position to try an 11' Jimmy Lewis, a 10'8" JL a 10'4" JL (all "surf" shapes) and a Naish 9'6".

Unfortunately, due to conditions (and incompetence), I haven't had much wave action yet (one or two at Mettams and one or two at South Cott) but I have had the 10'8" out in some nasty chop/howling wind and didn't spend TOO much time in the drink...seemed about the right size after a week on the 11'.

I am keen on the Naish 10'6" but I'm also open to suggestions on retailers and boards. PM me if you like.

Last year's model or 2nd hand is good for me but if I must I'll fork out the green if I must buy new (it is a new sport in Aus after all...)

I have been told that the JL and Naish and Starboard are good - Oxbow too but too short at 10' and too long at 11'

Do many of you windsurf on your boards? I love the idea that Naish and Starboard provide that option - but is it practical?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Over the past 10 days I must have spent 17 hours on various SUPs! can you say hooked?

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
10 Feb 2009 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Would recommend the JL 10 8 fantastic board. Only downside is it chips easily compared to some others. Cannot beat them in the waves but the PSH ones look the goods too. Not in WA which is a pity.

wakamole
WA, 21 posts
10 Feb 2009 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yes I must admit his quiver is a bit worse for wear due to dingage...
who sells PSH?
that Naish is Beeeaautifullll to look at. (handle and sail option nice too...)

Brooko
1672 posts
10 Feb 2009 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

I dont think you will like the 10 6" naish, it is not very good for beginners!
Maybe the bigger jimmy would suit you better.

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
10 Feb 2009 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

I have the starboard 11'2'' which is bigger than you mentioned but if you want to try to compare you are more than welcome. I tried the starboard 11'5'' which was really nice nut if your uncle has 4, that is just greedy. If he was a good and decent uncle he would give you one of his.

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
10 Feb 2009 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Starboard 11'2" with a 5ish sail in light wind is great fun in waves, you can get out over walls of whitewater and have a blast catching and riding waves. Doesn't really ever plane properly but still heaps of fun, just need the biggest wave fin you can find.

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
10 Feb 2009 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Forget the windsurf option pretty average I would say, rocker should be for surfing so too slow.

I have a Starboard 9 8 as well the wife likes the handle but I do not use it easier to carry on your shoulder. JL sh1ts on it in the surf small and big.

Pm AA he does PSH I think.

wakamole
WA, 21 posts
10 Feb 2009 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys

Hey Brooko - what's up with the 10'6' Naish? What qualities does it have that make it less user friendly for a newbie than, say, a JL 10'8"? With an extra inch in the guts over the JL (3" vs 4 3/4") and 2" shorter I guessed it would float me the same but turn faster? But what do I know?

I will be more tuned in when I get a good run on the 10'4" JL next month and hopefully get some waves and some knowledge from that time.

Hilly which JL are you comparing the Naish 9'6" to?

akhawk I know you were joking but in my uncle's defense he now uses the quiver to push SUPs on unsuspecting newbies like a crack dealer and he now has a load of regular borrowers (users? junkies?).

Lucky me I get easy, free access to a board most of the time I'm home!

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
10 Feb 2009 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

akhawk said...

I tried the starboard 11'5'' which was really nice...

Correction Hawksta, it was the 10'5"

Hi there Whac-a-mole. Hehehe great game. My kids have that game. Its fun

Anyway If its a board you want between 10 and 11 foot how about you give the Starboard 10'5" a go!?
Its not too small for those flat water, cruising days along the coast, checking out the reefs.
Its also a great surfer in small waves. Riding the nose is a treat with longboard ability. Im yet to have it in bigger waves but just by looking at this board I can see that its gonna be a smoker

Here is the write up from the Starboard website...

10’5” x 30” Drive
The new mid size of the range balancing between stability, manoueverability and glide. At 30 inches width the smooth pintail and wide nose feels small on the wave and plenty stable while paddling. The deck is flattened out for better foot grip and the rails are thinned down for a slightly sharper feel. It’s rocker line progressed from the 11’2 and the increased V numbers in the back foot area combine to produce a board with extreme drive and speed, yet is loose and responsive. More than anything it really feels alive. A great all-rounder for a flat water cruise. It’s fun in marginal surf and goes very well in serious waves as well. Comes with an additional 9’ fin for extra directional stability on flat water days!

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
11 Feb 2009 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I meant 10'5''. Only tried it once but looks good. I was just joking about the greedy uncle but its handy being able to try out all those boards. There was a I reckon if I didn't have the 11'2'' I would seriously look at a JL. Everyone I know that has one loves it, when I've been down south its hard to find someone not on one. By the way I did meet a local down at Gracetown on a PSH so there is at least one around the place. Good luck and happy shopping.

Brooko
1672 posts
11 Feb 2009 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

I dont think hilly mentioned the 9 6" naish? This also would be no good for you untill you have mastered a bigger board. Have you tried a 10 6" naish? Meant to be pretty corky and tippy.
I have used the 11 2 " starboard and think it surfs great, one of my favourite big boards, its a longboard style of surfing. I have the 9 6" naish it is a great board, and surfs really well, my friends over in wa have jimmy's and love them, try them all out before you buy

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
11 Feb 2009 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Brooko is on it, Naish 9 6 looks nice if you are a feather weight beginner. Have never ridden one myself.

wakamole
WA, 21 posts
13 Feb 2009 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input everyone

Any word on the Oxbow 10'6" or a PSH? If anyone in Perth has one I'd like to hook up and swap boards for a few hours - I will have a JL 10'4".

If anyone has or knows of a 2nd hand board for sale let me know!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
13 Feb 2009 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

This looks good.

DJ

Brooko
1672 posts
13 Feb 2009 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Geez how many kalama's are there, they could start there own surf team.

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
13 Feb 2009 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

akhawk said...

By the way I did meet a local down at Gracetown on a PSH so there is at least one around the place. Good luck and happy shopping.

Hey guys, yes it is true PSH is not well represented in Perth.

There are a number of PSH boards down Margaret's way however.
If you are ever down Margaret's way I can point you in the right direction.

Andrew.A

Paddle Surf Hawaii

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
13 Feb 2009 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

wakamole said...

Thanks for the input everyone

Any word on the Oxbow 10'6" or a PSH?

Here's a review on the Oxbow 10'6" - www.cybersup.com/reviews.asp?code=5

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
13 Feb 2009 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

I've seen a bunch of crew (6 or 7) have there first ever paddle on the 10'6" Naish. They ranged from 50kgs up to over 90kgs and they all seem to have no problem with the stability. I had my first proper surf on a borrowed 10'6" Naish just inside Tweed river and it was that surf that got me hooked!!

They have been around for a while now so you might be able to pick one up 2nd hand.

wakamole
WA, 21 posts
14 Feb 2009 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Any guys shaping SUP in Australia?
Any links or reviews?
I'd like to keep the Rudd money in the country if possible

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
11 Apr 2009 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Bnaccas said...

I've seen a bunch of crew (6 or 7) have there first ever paddle on the 10'6" Naish. They ranged from 50kgs up to over 90kgs and they all seem to have no problem with the stability. I had my first proper surf on a borrowed 10'6" Naish just inside Tweed river and it was that surf that got me hooked!!

They have been around for a while now so you might be able to pick one up 2nd hand.

Dunno-I reckon the 10'6" might be a bit of challenge for someone not from a surfing background-it's 28" width, rocker and loose bottom make it far less stable than plenty of other boards out there (like the Drive)-having said that, it just makes it a slightly steeper learning curve and means a board that will stay relevant longer as a new rider progresses.

I say all this as a new owner of a 10'6" from a surfing background-it's definitely less stable than other boards I've tried but it surfs great (in a mal/longboard way).

The grip on the Naish however SUCKS!!!!!!!!!-came up after about 6 surfs-and I applied it very carefully, priming first etc etc. Now to deal with warranty etc.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"10'6" - 10'8" - newbie" started by wakamole