Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

12'6 Flat Water Boards

Created by Chookman78 > 9 months ago, 14 Sep 2010
Chookman78
NSW, 72 posts
14 Sep 2010 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

What's the best (speed and stabilty) flat water/BOP style 12'6 out there?
And what should we be looking for when buying these type of boards?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Sep 2010 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Chookman78 said...

What's the best (speed and stabilty) flat water/BOP style 12'6 out there?
And what should we be looking for when buying these type of boards?

fanatic is good for the bigger guy. travis got 2nd in the bop on a dc, danny ching on a 404- coming to oz i think.dolphin are definately capable of producing the goods and i'm sure there are more which no doubt someone else will bring up

go for displacement to flat into a wide ass square tail with some v so the wake runs off nice.that gives stability and let you get back and kick turn the things.that's what the current trend is

hang on because i think this type of board, the designs and the range with go off the dial
cheers

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
15 Sep 2010 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

i agree with mark there are going to be some great 12'6 boards coming very soon!!!! Naish will have the 12'6 catalina here at the end of the month very exciting times!!!!

surfanimal
NSW, 1643 posts
15 Sep 2010 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

I've currently got the Naish 14' Glide and have been looking at some options.

I believe the Naish Catalina is now sold out until January 2011 (stock coming this year pre-sold).

I ordered a Star-board 14' Free Race 3 months ago and for the third straight month it did not arrive in the shipment to Oz and I'm just about over waiting for it and the fact that I've had to chase them each month (Auswind).

The Fanatic 12'6 Fly Race is really impressive although with only 4 carbon and 1 wood coming into Oz this month and with all bar one sold, unlikely anyone can have a play on one or look, decide and buy without the need to pre-order.

Hopefully the money spent on advertising all these raceboards will be worthwhile because all I'm doing is chasing distributors and being given the run around to be honest.

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
15 Sep 2010 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

i agree with mark there are going to be some great 12'6 boards coming very soon!!!! Naish will have the 12'6 catalina here at the end of the month very exciting times!!!!

Bringing it to the Mambo ???????????

Boylos

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
15 Sep 2010 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

surfanimals said...

I've currently got the Naish 14' Glide and have been looking at some options.

I believe the Naish Catalina is now sold out until January 2011 (stock coming this year pre-sold).

I ordered a Star-board 14' Free Race 3 months ago and for the third straight month it did not arrive in the shipment to Oz and I'm just about over waiting for it and the fact that I've had to chase them each month (Auswind).

The Fanatic 12'6 Fly Race is really impressive although with only 4 carbon and 1 wood coming into Oz this month and with all bar one sold, unlikely anyone can have a play on one or look, decide and buy without the need to pre-order.

Hopefully the money spent on advertising all these raceboards will be worthwhile because all I'm doing is chasing distributors and being given the run around to be honest.

Hmmmm ..... buy the Vortice Xp I had no problems with C4 Waterman!
Then we can do some hell downwinders at Cronulla this summer!

Boylos

surfanimal
NSW, 1643 posts
15 Sep 2010 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait Boylos........although I tried to ride your's and I still don't know how you rode it the way you did - left us for dead and didn't fall (too often).

Thanks to Michael at Auswind for clarifying the board delivery issues too - makes perfect sense and I'm more than happy to wait for a quality product from a really decent bunch of guys at Auswind. Appreciated mate.

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
15 Sep 2010 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfanimals said...

Can't wait Boylos........although I tried to ride your's and I still don't know how you rode it the way you did - left us for dead and didn't fall (too often).

Thanks to Michael at Auswind for clarifying the board delivery issues too - makes perfect sense and I'm more than happy to wait for a quality product from a really decent bunch of guys at Auswind. Appreciated mate.

[/img

Looks a nice board .... can't wait to have ago on it ..... well worth the weight !

Boylos

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
15 Sep 2010 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

That is a stunning looking board. Beautiful colour. Hope my new one comes up half as good.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
16 Sep 2010 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

forgot to mention, another local maker those boards have done well is secret agent. probably the fastest 12'6 i've been on
cheers

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
16 Sep 2010 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Lacey,

Where are the Secret Agents made? and is there a website to check them out?

Cheers

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
16 Sep 2010 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Adapt said...

Hey Lacey,

Where are the Secret Agents made? and is there a website to check them out?

Cheers

Secret Agent is made by Troy Pease or "Peasey" and is on Gold Coast call him for a demo m.0418737282

Minkee
QLD, 225 posts
16 Sep 2010 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

funny no ones is mentioning Lahui Kai around here...

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
16 Sep 2010 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Minkee said...

Do they have a flat water board ?

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
16 Sep 2010 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Piros, wasn't sure if Peasey made them or not.

Lahuikai make BOP styles of board which Billy and Jamie seem to race well but i can't seem to get mine moving quick enough to catch the Secret Agent, I'm gussing it may have something to do with my technique and fitness

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
16 Sep 2010 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Don't confuse the 2 boards a flat water board will always out perform an ocean board. In falt water.So don't write off your LK yet.

On the local scene Peasy , Dale (DC) & Dolphin make both types in 12-6,14 foot & unlimited , have'nt seen any flat water boards from Lahuikai probably because they are flat out making ocean boards for their OS orders.

Nearly all the majors manufacturers are now producing same size but different models boards for flat water & ocean.

You don't want a flat water board for a BOP race.

Rob

Minkee
QLD, 225 posts
16 Sep 2010 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

Minkee said...

Do they have a flat water board ?

Not sure, haven't seen one but first post also ask about BOP 12"6 so I thought I'd mention LK.

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
16 Sep 2010 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

I have to say the Lahuikai has been a great board for me and Adrian was really helpful, but its my first board and i'm now figuring out what might work better for me.

All the boards suggested are great boards and the people selling them have a lot of knowledge, i'd suggest trying a few different types before paying the cash.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"12'6 Flat Water Boards" started by Chookman78