Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

12"6" Side Handle

Created by Keys SUP > 9 months ago, 8 May 2011
Keys SUP
30 posts
8 May 2011 1:57AM
Thumbs Up

Finally got out on my JL Slice. At 76.2cm (30") it is wider, thicker and heavier than the 10"6" Naish. Board felt good and I got a chance to work on stroke technique in the flat water in a canal. It is kinda of bulky to lift and was wondering if other people use one side handle to make it easier to lift. The board is drilled for side handles. Can I use machine screws so the hard JL handle can come off before it goes into the bag? Or is it better to use a soft handle so it can stay on in the bag?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
8 May 2011 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

I would use a soft handle or strap so it can stay on while in the bag.. You don't want to be taking it on and off too often.. and I would go to a boating store and get a couple of good quality stainless steel screws and washes.. Nice board.. Congrats.

DJ

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
8 May 2011 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

if you fall, hard handles could hurt

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
8 May 2011 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

board looks interesting is it designed for flat water or bob style races?

Keys SUP
30 posts
9 May 2011 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

It is not a flatwater board but does pretty well in it. After the second run it feels even better. The stripes come in handy for a line to reach for instead of tape. I am not sure if I need a handle (getting easier to maneuver the more I use it ) but might experiment with some webbing or a kite handle.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
9 May 2011 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Keys SUP said...

It is not a flatwater board but does pretty well in it.

You may be surprised to learn that it 'is' a flat water board.. .

DJ

Keys SUP
30 posts
9 May 2011 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

I thought the Blade was their flatwater board? No problem as the water is mostly flat in the Florida Keys.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17462 posts
9 May 2011 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Keys SUP said...

I thought the Blade was their flatwater board? No problem as the water is mostly flat in the Florida Keys.

The Blade is also a flat water board.. It's more of a serious race board than the Slice..

Looking close at your pic I can see that you have a hand hole in the center of your board so I would not worry about fitting a side handle as well.

The side handles are mostly used for racing where you have to run while dragging your board to the water at the start of a race.

DJ

Keys SUP
30 posts
9 May 2011 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"12"6" Side Handle" started by Keys SUP