12'6 vs 14 - myths and legends?

Created by AA > 9 months ago, 30 Aug 2012
ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
31 Aug 2012 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys,

The 14's are a fun size and are really well suited to WA as many do the Downwind thing. Subsequently, longer races which allow the 14's to strut their stuff have been the focus. Long straight races are kinda fun but tend to be much like road cycling, he that endures the most pain wins.

BOP or short course racing requires heaps of technical skill as well as fitness and athleticism. 12'6" boards will murder a 14fter around the short course with their agility on the turns.

We have been running weekly short course BOP style races and training of a Saturday morning and I can tell you, we have much more fun racing short course than distance. The change in our racing practice and races has prompted many to buy a 12'6" board. Many of our paddlers now have both boards and some are preferring to train on the 12'6" instead of the 14'. We still love and train on the 14's, but we have something else to look forward to than just hard paddling in a straight line.

If you have no where to race shorter Stock boards and you live in WA, a 14 will be more versatile, but if you can regularly race a stock board, I think it almost swings it in the other direction.

If you want to race and train the short BOP style courses with us, we meet every Saturday in Maylands. There is no charge for this training/racing. Call us for more details (08) 9245 3884.

DM

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
31 Aug 2012 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

I received a call from a well known forum member frothing about a new 12.6 he rode today and I think he is getting one,the last one until November so he said.Tells me this thing does it all,surfs unreal and great DW board.

SIC

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
2 Sep 2012 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Wouldn't want the final word on this subject going to a longboarder. Instead, allow me to steal from SUPracer who has himself borrowed the following Facebook status update from World Top 10 racer Eric Terrien...

www.supracer.com/time-out-on-the-board-class-wars-126-vs-14-etc/

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
2 Sep 2012 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

That's SIC woody.

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
2 Sep 2012 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

I received a call from a well known forum member frothing about a new 12.6 he rode today and I think he is getting one,the last one until November so he said.Tells me this thing does it all,surfs unreal and great DW board.

SIC

12.6 sups do not surf unreal ffs - they catch waves unreal - they are not and never will be surfboards

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
2 Sep 2012 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

billboard said...

62mac said...

SIC

12.6 sups do not surf unreal ffs - they catch waves unreal - they are not and never will be surfboards

re define. its the best surfing 12'6.

btw that would mean surfing sups, long boards etc aren't surfboards because they don't surf unreal either- its all relative ffs

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
2 Sep 2012 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Lacey - FINALLY we agree on something !

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
2 Sep 2012 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

To call it the best surfing 12,6 is a big call , try the PSH 12,6

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
2 Sep 2012 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

billboard said...

Lacey - FINALLY we agree on something !

ffs

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
2 Sep 2012 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

teatrea said...

i did

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
2 Sep 2012 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

teatrea said...

i did

obviousley not long enough

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
2 Sep 2012 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

teatrea said...

laceys lane said...

teatrea said...

i did

ok, lets stop right here

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
2 Sep 2012 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

teatrea said...

laceys lane said...

teatrea said...

i did

ok, lets stop right here

OK every one deserves an opinion even if its wrong

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
2 Sep 2012 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

ffs

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
2 Sep 2012 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

billboard said...

Short boarders think Mals aren't surfboards.
Both think SUP's aren't surfboards.
I love SUP because it opens both eyes and minds.
Never say never BB. You'd be amazed at how well some 12'6's surf a wave.

BulldogPup
6657 posts
2 Sep 2012 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

AA said...

billboard said...

Short boarders think Mals aren't surfboards.
Both think SUP's aren't surfboards.
I love SUP because it opens both eyes and minds.
Never say never BB. You'd be amazed at how well some 12'6's surf a wave.

oh Dear this is going to get another 2 pages ..... for the record I ride a Coke Bottle Top

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"12'6 vs 14 - myths and legends?" started by AA