3 Mar 2010 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

man thats a really solid effort!

froggo
QLD, 127 posts
3 Mar 2010 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Wow- well done Phil.

hitting a reef and losing a bung after a huge effort - that would be v upsetting.

Bright side: still got 3 places to improve on

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
4 Mar 2010 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid.. shame about the shorts.. ..just kidding..

Just wondering.. How often during that time (6hrs) did you stop next to the support boat for a rest or top up of food/drink?.. or are you not allowed to approach the support boat during the race?

DJ

FB1
13 posts
4 Mar 2010 3:41AM
Thumbs Up

Huge props to Ironphil. That was me that he passed at the 3 1/2 hour mark. I was on a rudderless 14' SIC. A few minutes after that, i was moving from surfing stance to regular paddling stance after riding a runner, my foot slipped off the rail and i fractured my tibia just below my knee. My right calf had started to cramp and now i was floundered around out there trying to find a way to keep going before my whole side just locked up with cramps and couldn't even stand. It's an amazing how insignificant you feel out in that channel, even more so when your injured. Truly an amazing experience, thanks for sharing and bringing back such humbling memories....

bownes
122 posts
4 Mar 2010 4:20AM
Thumbs Up

Wow!!! That is a huge effort Phil. Well done and congratulations.
I would have trouble standing that long on Mother Earth let alone a paddle board.
Where do you get your boards from??what do they cost??
Interesting comments about 16 and 18 in the open ocean…I would have thought the 18 would have been a better choice so it’s great to hear your views there.
You have motivated me to get my fat A$$ off the couch and get back into it.

cheers

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
4 Mar 2010 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

Superb effort to come 4th!

Phill can you explain how the team part of the event works please.

how many paddlers make up a team

How do the support boats work and interact with the paddlers

Phill

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
4 Mar 2010 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

Superb effort to come 4th!

Phill can you explain how the team part of the event works please.

how many paddlers make up a team

How do the support boats work and interact with the paddlers

Phill

Phill the team is where two or more paddles share the distance on the same board.. The next paddler gets dropped into the water just ahead and the paddler just paddles up to them and jumps off.. and the new paddler climbs on and takes over the paddling and the guy/gal that just jumped off gets into the boat for a rest.. I've heard that sometimes during real strong headwinds they swap about every 10 minutes because they're so buggered.. You could do a race like this with Kristi..

DJ

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
4 Mar 2010 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Great race,
the logistics invovled and money spent,
time training makes this a 6 month of devotion/ commitment,
and saving money real hard.

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
4 Mar 2010 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Aspirational.........

As the C4 guys say "Climbers climb Everest, Paddlers paddle Molokai"

Last I checked there is no race up Everest.

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
4 Mar 2010 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Very good point!

CMC said...

Aspirational.........

As the C4 guys say "Climbers climb Everest, Paddlers paddle Molokai"

Last I checked there is no race up Everest.

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
4 Mar 2010 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

rollo90 said...

Great race,
the logistics invovled and money spent,
time training makes this a 6 month of devotion/ commitment,
and saving money real hard.

And this from a guy that's actually paddled the race. Kind of makes my Gold Coast cup goal seem insignificant.

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
4 Mar 2010 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome effort ,especially doing it solo .

The ultimate challenge for us downwinder paddlers , would like to do it in a team .

Boylos

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
4 Mar 2010 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

G'day Divid Jones I had a 4 litre camel back plus bananas in one pocket & chocolate bars in the other pocket the support boats is there incase you can't handle the pace or get lost at sea. the support boat will cost you around $1,000 & you don't get to sit in the boat. I'll be going back to Hawaii in 2012 when I turn 50yo & give Molokai another crack hope to win the over 50's division.

Phil

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
4 Mar 2010 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

to do Molokai in a team is bulk fun as the support boat will only cost you $500 each you'll get to watch half the race there's about 50 SUP teams. At the start you can't change for the first half hour so all the support boats will start to spread out. After that you can change as many times as you want. Your support boat will drive up ahead you jump out your mate will paddle up to you you'll change & the support boat will come back & pick you up to easy. Just don't freak out as you'll be floating in the pacific ocean for about 4 minutes & the first 15 kilometres off Molokai is a cafe for Tiger sharks.
Phil

Bizmanti
NSW, 21 posts
4 Mar 2010 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

That's very very impressive. It's fantastic. You are a champion!

bownes
122 posts
5 Mar 2010 3:24AM
Thumbs Up

Downwinder said...

to do Molokai in a team is bulk fun as the support boat will only cost you $500 each you'll get to watch half the race there's about 50 SUP teams. At the start you can't change for the first half hour so all the support boats will start to spread out. After that you can change as many times as you want. Your support boat will drive up ahead you jump out your mate will paddle up to you you'll change & the support boat will come back & pick you up to easy. Just don't freak out as you'll be floating in the pacific ocean for about 4 minutes & the first 15 kilometres off Molokai is a cafe for Tiger sharks.
Phil

Tiger sharks!!! What better incentive do you need to go solo lol.
Where do you get your boards from??? Do you directly import from the States??
Cheers

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
5 Mar 2010 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

if you send a board it will cost around 700-900 au

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
5 Mar 2010 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

bownes said...

Downwinder said...

Phil

Tiger sharks!!! What better incentive do you need to go solo lol.
Where do you get your boards from??? Do you directly import from the States??
Cheers

I get my SUP imported from Maui my good friend Mark Raaphorst makes the S.I.C. A custom F-16 is US $3,000 + US $900 for freight to Australia + AUS $700 for customs all up by the time you convert your money its will cost you around $5,000 Yes the F-16 is bulk expensive. The unlimited SUP's I've seen Mark Raaphorst is onto it in the shaping bay. My F-18 is comming over in a container so I'll save AUS $1,500.

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
5 Mar 2010 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

FB1 said...

Huge props to Ironphil. That was me that he passed at the 3 1/2 hour mark. I was on a rudderless 14' SIC. A few minutes after that, i was moving from surfing stance to regular paddling stance after riding a runner, my foot slipped off the rail and i fractured my tibia just below my knee. My right calf had started to cramp and now i was floundered around out there trying to find a way to keep going before my whole side just locked up with cramps and couldn't even stand. It's an amazing how insignificant you feel out in that channel, even more so when your injured. Truly an amazing experience, thanks for sharing and bringing back such humbling memories....

Sorry to hear what happened to you FBI Its a sad feeling I know I was only 10 minutes behind Kevin Horgan who got 2nd & I was 40 minutes infront of the bloke who got 3rd
Hope to see you on Molokai for the 2012 Race I'll be there want to give it a crack for my 50th

Phil

FB1
13 posts
6 Mar 2010 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Phil

Hope to see you there. I'll be celebrating my 50th also...

Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2008 Quiksilver Molokai Race 32 Punishing Miles" started by Downwinder