Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2010 NSW Stand Up Paddleboard Titles

Created by Casso > 9 months ago, 20 May 2010
Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
20 May 2010 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Now it's NSW's turn.

The inaugural NSW Stand Up Paddleboard Titles will be held on Saturday 17th July 2010 at Newcastle.

The event will for the first time in history see an Open Men's and Open Women's NSW Stand Up Paddleboard champion crowned. The event also acts as the qualifier for the NSW Stand Up Paddleboard Team which will represent the state in both divisions at the Australian Stand Up Paddleboard Titles which are being held from 22-25 August as a part of the Country Energy Australian Surf Festival at Port Macquarie.

The prime location for the event is south Bar Beach, with Merewether, Dixon Park, Newcastle and Nobby's Beaches all back up locations.

Competition is expected to kick off at 8am with the day's contest location and running schedule confirmed on the Surfing NSW Event Hotline - please call 0458 247 212 after 7am on the day for the Hotline update.

All entrants must be current Surfing NSW members.

Date: Saturday, 17-Jul-2010

Entry Closing Date: Tuesday, 13-Jul-2010

Condition: Must be a Surfing New South Wales member
Entrants must be Surfing NSW Members.

Divisions: Single division entry only
Open Men, Open Women

Cost: $66.00 (inc. GST) per division

Entry form: australianpaddlesurfer.com.au/Docs/2010NSWSUPTitlesEntryForm.pdf

Official website: http://www.surfingnswonline.com.au/event.php?id=149

pmorgan1974
NSW, 1080 posts
20 May 2010 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

hey casso, does being a member of the SPSC make you a member of NSW Surfers ?

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
20 May 2010 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

pmorgan1974 said...

hey casso, does being a member of the SPSC make you a member of NSW Surfers ?

No, sorry. You need to be an individual (not club) member of Surfing NSW to compete in the NSW and Australian titles.

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
20 May 2010 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

bring in on ! love how many comps are coming up yahooo

pmorgan1974
NSW, 1080 posts
20 May 2010 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

i better become a member then :) I dont want to miss this one

WorlSUP
NSW, 83 posts
20 May 2010 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Stoked that it's in Newy, although no amount of home break advantage will help my piss poor surfing!!

Bring it on, I can't wait to compete in my 1st ever SUP comp.

JonWest
QLD, 105 posts
21 May 2010 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

I'll be driving down the road for this one, should be epic!

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
21 May 2010 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

I'll be sitting on a plane coming home from WA with the family [}:)]

Maroubra SUP
NSW, 148 posts
21 May 2010 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in... for the experience and getting to meet you crew!

PT SUP
117 posts
21 May 2010 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Lets go a State Of Origin SUP Comp.

How much fun would that be?? [for the Queenslanders]

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
22 Jun 2010 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Well guys Im going to head over from Bali to have a crack as well so any one have any pointers for me to bring in me bag ? not sure what you guys are going to put out there & besides that the water temp is going to kill me ..
Cheers Pete
supbali.com

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
22 Jun 2010 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

well just parted with the bucks to become a member but there is no option to be a SUP member ????

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
22 Jun 2010 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

SUPBALIcom said...

Well guys Im going to head over from Bali to have a crack as well so any one have any pointers for me to bring in me bag ? not sure what you guys are going to put out there & besides that the water temp is going to kill me ..
Cheers Pete
supbali.com

You'll need a steamer and a high performance SUP (maybe with a pointy nose - for the sucky beach breaks at Bar Beach).

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
22 Jun 2010 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

SUPBALIcom said...

well just parted with the bucks to become a member but there is no option to be a SUP member ????

There is no separate SUP membership at Surfing NSW - we are all just "surfers".

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
22 Jun 2010 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

SUPBALIcom said...

Cheers Pete
supbali.com

You'll need a steamer and a high performance SUP (maybe with a pointy nose - for the sucky beach breaks at Bar Beach).

sub 9' boards that are very shortboard influenced seem to be the rage atm

Edit - think the water temp is 16 degrees or so

SimonDodd
NSW, 80 posts
22 Jun 2010 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

There are some good banks at Bar at the moment and hopefully they will hang around for the comp! If not, it is a mobile event so it will be move elsewhere along the stretch.

Here is Beau Nixon surfing a 'beach break' last weekend at Manly on a 9'3

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
22 Jun 2010 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

go a 12foot plus board and you will be fine

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
22 Jun 2010 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

hey guys change of location for titles see below

Unfortunately we have had to make a change to the published location at late notice. The event has been moved to the Port Stephens Region, with One Mile Beach the prime event location. Birubi Beach and Fingal Bay are backup options.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
22 Jun 2010 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

SimonDodd said...

Here is Beau Nixon surfing a 'beach break' last weekend at Manly on a 9'3

Beau's a cool young guy for sure, chatted with him a few times and seen him smack the back out of G mount on his Mal....definitly an up and comer.... or has he already arrived

good luck Beau

Serg

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
22 Jun 2010 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the heads up on the wettie ,Ill have to go out & invest in one of those its been about 12yrs since I last wore one .. as for the pointy nose well I ride daily high performance rounded nose STARBOARDS & they seem to handle the sucky waves of Bali so Ill try & tackle Bar on what I know & am comfortable riding , but many thanks for the words of wisdom..

Note on that last comment the boards are HIGH PERFORMANCE the rider leaves plenty to be desired.

I just read the location has been changed is that a wind up or correct as I'm trying to make plans for accommodation etc as well???

cheers fellas & look forward to saying hello when we meet up for the comp days.. Pete

Casso said...

SUPBALIcom said...

Cheers Pete
supbali.com

Maroubra SUP
NSW, 148 posts
22 Jun 2010 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Pete,

The change of location is true. Here's today's email update from SNSW:

Hi SUP State Titles Competitors,

Thank you for entering our first ever SUP State Titles – Saturday 17 July 2010.

Unfortunately we have had to make a change to the published location at late notice. The event has been moved to the Port Stephens Region, with One Mile Beach the prime event location. Birubi Beach and Fingal Bay are backup options.

Port Stephens Council are offering special accommodation packages. I will send you these deals and additional local information within the next week.

Divisions: Open men and Women – approx 50 competitors competing for State Titles and also for the opportunity to compete at the Australian Stand Up Paddleboard Titles which will be held as part of the Country Energy Australian Surf Festival at Port Macquarie in August.

Please advise if you are still able to attend. If for some reason you are unable to make the change of venue I will arrange a full refund for you.

We apologise for any inconvience the change in location may have caused, but hope you are still able to attend.

Kind Regards & look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Sue

Sue Duffus
Admin
SURFING NSW

By the way, I am organising to SUP Bali in late August.

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
24 Jun 2010 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Sue
I am really keen to be part of the action so will make additional arrangements to make it to the new venue & look forward to receiving further details from you regarding accommodation.
Where is the best place to now complete my entry form for teh comp?
Regards Pete
ps. look forward to meeting up 7 then we can chat about your plans to come 7 visit me in August in BALI !

Maroubra SUP said...

Hey Pete,

The change of location is true. Here's today's email update from SNSW:

Hi SUP State Titles Competitors,

Thank you for entering our first ever SUP State Titles – Saturday 17 July 2010.

Port Stephens Council are offering special accommodation packages. I will send you these deals and additional local information within the next week.

Divisions: Open men and Women – approx 50 competitors competing for State Titles and also for the opportunity to compete at the Australian Stand Up Paddleboard Titles which will be held as part of the Country Energy Australian Surf Festival at Port Macquarie in August.

Please advise if you are still able to attend. If for some reason you are unable to make the change of venue I will arrange a full refund for you.

We apologise for any inconvience the change in location may have caused, but hope you are still able to attend.

Kind Regards & look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Sue

Sue Duffus
Admin
SURFING NSW

By the way, I am organising to SUP Bali in late August.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
24 Jun 2010 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

I hope the comp gets some great waves , would love to see some great surfing in great conditions.

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
25 Jun 2010 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Sue
I have been taking a look at the nominated locations & am interested to know what the criteria may be as I believe ..
a.. One Mile unless a massive swell this place generally has ordinary (very small) waves???
b.. Birubi cool set up for spectators
c.. Fingal good around the spit there ..

I am just trying to get a better understanding of the event & what the judges are /will be looking for as I dare say if small waves it will be more about style on longer boards correct ? where as should the swell be up we would be looking at shorter more performance stuff???

Sorry for the questions just need to know what I should bring with me from Bali ..

Many thanks for your time & patience in answering ..

Cheers Pete

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
25 Jun 2010 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Maroubra SUP
NSW, 148 posts
25 Jun 2010 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Pete, I don't know how to say this any other way- but I'm a bloke.

Sue is my mate's wife, who works for Surfing NSW. I can see how my post could have been read a coupla ways...

The SNSW website is what you need to answer your questions: www.surfingaustralia.com/SurfingNewSouthWales

This will help re judging critieria too.

However, Casso, Goatman, Dogman, Dan etc could give us all some insights into the judging criteria we can expect for the State Titles- they've got a fair bit of SUP contest experience under their belts.

Hope this helps- and clears up my gender,

STEVE.

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
25 Jun 2010 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All
I do not think that One mile beach is a great choice of a location venue for a SUP compitition. I have surfed there at a comp in May each year at the GUNS, HOSES and BANDAGES -an annual comp between the Firies, Cops and Ambos. And all but at high tide its just close-out city. It is hard enough to compete there on a short board, let alone a sup. I will now have to think whether its worth $110 (join surfing NSW and entry fee) to go up and surf close-outs..There must be somewhere more suitable. If it was not a SUP comp, but a shortboard or Mal comp would it be somewhere else? Are we being treated as second class citizens again..

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
25 Jun 2010 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

I've only surfed One Mile a couple of times but each time it was epic. It was up towards the middle of the beach with a couple of really nicely defined banks with rip bowls in between them. Crystal clear water with only a couple of guys out.

Maybe I fluked it?

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
25 Jun 2010 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

i heard the place is fine and gets good waves from someone who lives up that way anyway so what if its closeouts its a comp and just pray that we get waves at all and surf whats on offer on the day it will be an epic event and unreal experience we should all be surporting NSW titles and thank god that we even have an event!

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
25 Jun 2010 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

juding critieria is best 2 waves win the heat similar to any shortboard or mal comp you have ever been to. I think all moves are scored and helps to use your paddle in turns etc as long as you dont draw the goatman shoud be fine hes onfire at the moment the old bastard!

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Jun 2010 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

juding critieria is best 2 waves win the heat similar to any shortboard or mal comp you have ever been to. I think all moves are scored and helps to use your paddle in turns etc as long as you dont draw the goatman shoud be fine hes onfire at the moment the old bastard!

hey dtm, you guys better check on the critieria- longboard and shortboard aren't the same. going by qld surfing, they aren't interested in longboard moves. they judge on standard shortboard format plus paddle usage as a few of surfers found out the hard way last year at the roar comp
cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2010 NSW Stand Up Paddleboard Titles" started by Casso