Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2010 NSW Stand Up Paddleboard Titles

Created by Casso > 9 months ago, 20 May 2010
sepirott
NSW, 336 posts
25 Jun 2010 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Surfrod66 I like it when people dish our local break especially if it works to keep the crowds down. I seem to remember surfing some great waves down the beach towards Middle Rock and Samurai when you guys had your contest this year, you definitely held the contest up the wrong end near the point at Oney where it was closing out and smaller. I am sure a few of us would beg to differ on your opinion of Oney but hey who am I to say, I only surf it every other day when Buribi isn't on. Plus Billy (termite) will be pissed if you move the comp and even though I am not entering (cost) I really look forward to watching everyone ripping it up and putting a few noses out of joint.............usually only a handful of us surfing here on SUP's.

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
25 Jun 2010 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

I guess I am wrong!!!!

sepirott
NSW, 336 posts
25 Jun 2010 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Na, not totally, it can close a bit mate on a southerly swell which is prevalent in winter. Generally though it is a great place to SUP and you have more options with Birubi great in North winds.

termite
NSW, 283 posts
25 Jun 2010 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hey surfrod

Steve (sepirott), Casso and Dan are right, Oney can get epic waves and we've had cracking surf over the past few weeks. If you are going to compete prey for easterley swells and SW to W winds. If you sell or repair sups pray for big southerley swell and SE winds

Bill

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
26 Jun 2010 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hey lacey its cool mate i couldnt surf my sup like a longboard if you paid me! All good mate shortboard style is all i got

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
26 Jun 2010 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Yes!!! Let me see, mid July would you put your money on SOUTH Swell or Easterly swell.

jedijunglsno
NSW, 231 posts
1 Jul 2010 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

The State titles made it into the Manly Daily today too, Richie Lovett's entered...

appsy
NSW, 198 posts
1 Jul 2010 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

dtm said...

juding critieria is best 2 waves win the heat similar to any shortboard or mal comp you have ever been to. I think all moves are scored and helps to use your paddle in turns etc as long as you dont draw the goatman shoud be fine hes onfire at the moment the old bastard!

hey dtm, you guys better check on the critieria- longboard and shortboard aren't the same. going by qld surfing, they aren't interested in longboard moves. they judge on standard shortboard format plus paddle usage as a few of surfers found out the hard way last year at the roar comp
cheers

In regards to SUP judging its a bit hard. I was in last years Aus titles for SUP and the judges wanted a bit of a mix. Josh Constable who won the event totally hammered all the sup guys with "shortboard" styles (thats me). The guy blew up mixing longboard moves with shortboard moves. Personally it looked alot better, LUMMERS came second and he was the same as JC mixing it up. Dogman and I were talking about it awhile ago and Josh pretty much smashed the field, the bloke even got air. He hadnt even rode a sup in 12 months. Ive been speaking to a few judges of late and they have been saying that alot of sup blokes are not putting there rail in the water when turning and there sick of seeing tail slides through lack of rail. But they also don't want a bloke hanging five the whole way to the beach. They pretty much want to see a whole range of moves and using the whole wave. Regardless it should be fun

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
1 Jul 2010 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

nice appsy

yer judging of sup events is a new thing for the crew especially if they dont sup themselves

just imagine a bunch of wheat farmers judging the ASP....lol.......

they definantly got it right at the aussies last year with josh and lummers nailing it in 1ft grovel and mixing it up with some big moves then stylin it up on the nose

then a few months later at the goldie roar comp in november i heard over the loud speaker(to my amusement...lol....)after lummers nailed a helicopter 360 in the whitewash that "it was not a scoring move due to it not being performed on a funtional part of the wave" some people blew up while others like myself laughed then laughed then laughed again.......lol......i'm still laughing....lol.....haha...

my personal vote is for it to be judged on the biggest powerful moves performed in the most critical part of the wave ,while using the paddle to add to the move and generate speed ......more rail and less slip slide of the tail......

2 big moves out score 20 tinny wiggles to the sand

end rant....haha......

talked to a few crew at the snowy that all commented that alot of the sup crew including myself are not using the rail enough thru turns and are doing this flat turn slidey thing that looks ugly and doesnt carry the speed out of the turn making it disjointed thus butt ugly....lol.....and asked why my board has not got a rounded nose so i can run up there????

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
2 Jul 2010 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

tha dogman said...

nice appsy

yer judging of sup events is a new thing for the crew especially if they dont sup themselves

just imagine a bunch of wheat farmers judging the ASP....lol.......

they definantly got it right at the aussies last year with josh and lummers nailing it in 1ft grovel and mixing it up with some big moves then stylin it up on the nose

then a few months later at the goldie roar comp in november i heard over the loud speaker(to my amusement...lol....)after lummers nailed a helicopter 360 in the whitewash that "it was not a scoring move due to it not being performed on a funtional part of the wave" some people blew up while others like myself laughed then laughed then laughed again.......lol......i'm still laughing....lol.....haha...

my personal vote is for it to be judged on the biggest powerful moves performed in the most critical part of the wave ,while using the paddle to add to the move and generate speed ......more rail and less slip slide of the tail......

2 big moves out score 20 tinny wiggles to the sand

end rant....haha......

talked to a few crew at the snowy that all commented that alot of the sup crew including myself are not using the rail enough thru turns and are doing this flat turn slidey thing that looks ugly and doesnt carry the speed out of the turn making it disjointed thus butt ugly....lol.....and asked why my board has not got a rounded nose so i can run up there????

first up, i don't do surf comps. i would have thought dog and goat would have been surfing most of the time the way the judges would like to see or are the boys getting sucked into slidey stuff under comp pressure?. it seems to me the slidey thing(that flat board tail push) in the last part of the turn is the problem with the flow out of the turn affected. sometimes ive seen scores given that i can't see how under the judges rules. noel has a really nice flow with his surfing while still getting it out there- i personally believe he is underscored.if you put the effort in to compete, i would reckon it's worth it to check with the judges on what they wont to see. if conditions go to seed- check again, they might change things
cheers
ps
good luck everyone

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
5 Jul 2010 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

hey guys anyone have info on swell forecasts for the titles at all as I need to pack my bags & some rubber (thats the scary bit) .. any & all info appreciated .. thanks in advance .. cheers Pete

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
5 Jul 2010 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for that Matty & Ill see you soon!! !!

also whats happened to the talk about the titles I thought everyone would be pumped & talking it up!

Conditions in Bali were very small today but fun in any case..

Look forward to catching up & meeting a lot of you guys ..

cheers Pete

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
9 Jul 2010 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

Now it's NSW's turn.

i'll have to thank the surfing nsw crew for making me look skinny on the logo.....haha.....

Wodenau
NSW, 67 posts
9 Jul 2010 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know what you actually get for your $66?

If it's just professional judging, my Mal Club runs two comps per year with pro judges and entry fee is $50 and you get a T-shirt and freebies as well.

Thinking of going in it but the high cost $66 + $?? for Surfing NSW membership means over $100. Do you get to surf twice i.e. Repecharge rounds?

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
9 Jul 2010 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

tha dogman said...

i'll have to thank the surfing nsw crew for making me look skinny on the logo.....haha.....

That's too funny Dogman. You're famous!

PT SUP
117 posts
10 Jul 2010 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Entry fees for the Noosa Fest are in the $300 range for me with the distance SUP,SUP surfing,over 40's mal and the old Mal,but what a great week.

Great effort in the last game from your guys,Stay with that team for next year and we'll have another great series,

Cheers
PT

graffitisurf
NSW, 123 posts
10 Jul 2010 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Being a Port Stephens local I was looking forward to this. However I fly out for Hawaii on Wednesday for some South side surf and the Molokai-Oahu race.Just like to wish everybody luck, especially Bill (Termite) our local hope. I hope there is some swell it's not real good at the moment.

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
10 Jul 2010 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

long range forcast looks the goods for next saturday hope the place works well on a south swell

graffitisurf
NSW, 123 posts
10 Jul 2010 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

long range forcast looks the goods for next saturday hope the place works well on a south swell

Nope. Not unless last weeks weather has rearranged the banks favorably. If its a big swell it can wrap into One Mile Point. If the wind is from a Northerly (preferably NE) Birubi Beach could be OK. The other possibility if the swell is big is Fingal but not likely. All other spots are inaccessible for a contest.

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
10 Jul 2010 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

i like to think it will be epic bring it on i say!

graffitisurf
NSW, 123 posts
10 Jul 2010 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

i like to think it will be epic bring it on i say!

I hope you are right. The area is certainly capable of "epic"

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
10 Jul 2010 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon the Box Beach wedge will be the go! That's a great SUP wave.

graffitisurf
NSW, 123 posts
10 Jul 2010 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

I reckon the Box Beach wedge will be the go! That's a great SUP wave.

lol........love to see it.

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
10 Jul 2010 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

you will see it just look!

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
10 Jul 2010 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

just booked for friday nite saturday home sunday yeah cant wait gunna be epic weekend

graffitisurf
NSW, 123 posts
10 Jul 2010 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

you will see it just look!

????

littlewalb
NSW, 40 posts
16 Jul 2010 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

any news on site for tommorrow- im heading notrth for the day dragging 4 kids around but will be keen for a look see

termite
NSW, 283 posts
16 Jul 2010 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't heard, but with SW winds and Southerly swell I'm petty sure they will set up at One Mile Beach.

Waves are around 3ft, pretty straight, but with the ocassional bomb.

Already local gossip about some guy in a red Gath smashing it up

Bill

SH
NSW, 6 posts
16 Jul 2010 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

The pressure is on Roger (tha Dogman) with this article in the Pacific Longboarder mag web site.

PORT STEPHENS TO STAND UP AND BE COUNTED THIS WEEKEND
Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Only days away, the inaugural NSW Stand Up Paddleboard Titles will hit the shores of Port Stephens this weekend.

With approximately 50 competitors competing for prestigious state titles and the opportunity to compete at the Australian Stand Up Paddleboard Titles, which will be held as part of the Country Energy Australian Surf Festival at Port Macquarie in August, spectators, competitors and event organisers are looking forward to what lies ahead.

One competitor who is happy to be competing in such a momentous event is number one seed Roger Saunders (Minnie Waters, NSW).

“I’m stoked to be involved in the inaugural event,” Saunders said with a smile.

“It’s great that Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) is finally being officially recognised within NSW,” he continued.

“There are a great core of competitors in NSW who will all be looking to take home the first ever SUP state title.”

Having ridden a wave of popularity, across the globe, over the past decade, stand-up paddleboarding has etched its way firmly into the sphere of competitive and recreational surfing, culminating with this inaugural event.

The hybrid discipline, which takes inspiration from surfing, skiing, wakeboarding and skateboarding, continues to rapidly evolve and grow in popularity.

Having finished fifth at the inaugural Australian SUP Titles, at last year’s Country Energy Australian Surf Festival, Saunders will be returning to the region where he was born and spent some of his childhood.

“I haven’t been back for 30 years,” Saunders admitted.

“So it’s going to be a real pleasure to come back, compete and check out the area.”

Recognised as one the finest surfing and tourist destinations on the NSW coastline, Port Stephens will provide the perfect backdrop for such a prestigious event with One Mile Beach the prime location for competition.

“Port Stephens is an excellent surf location and will provide the perfect venue for the State’s best Stand Up Paddleboarders to strut their stuff,” said Surfing NSW Operations Manager, Peter Hunt.

The NSW Stand Up Paddleboard Titles will be held on Saturday, 19 July 2010.

For more information be sure to visit www.surfingnsw.com.au

Best of Luck Roger!!!!

Steve

milko
NSW, 604 posts
16 Jul 2010 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

I have been out at one mile all day chatting with a few guys.. Cant get to close to dogman or he will blow a loogie right at ya .. The surf is actually pretty good considering how south the swell is.. Normally oney closes out a lot on the south swell but being a wind swell it is quite peaky..If the wind goes a bit NW tomorrow the northern end of one mile should be epic.. The swell just keeps getting bigger the further north up the beach you go.. Samurai was solid 4ft about an hour ago..
Watching Dogman and Casso rip it up today has been good so i hope they take the comp up the north end of the beach where theres a bit more punch

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2010 NSW Stand Up Paddleboard Titles" started by Casso