Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2010 Starboard Race Boards

Created by JonathanC > 9 months ago, 7 Mar 2010
JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
7 Mar 2010 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Here is a photo of the 2010 Free Race, even though we had heard that it and the 31 are based on the current Pin, certainly seem to be some changes! I like the simple graphics too.

Photo came from Wardog at Surfingsports
And yes I'm buddies with Starboard

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
7 Mar 2010 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

The colour/graphics are brilliant. Any word on how far away your Surf Race is?

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
7 Mar 2010 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hey JC can yo get a plan view of that board and do they know roughly how many litres?

Phill

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
7 Mar 2010 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jonathan, do you have any idea of the prices of the new boards?

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
7 Mar 2010 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

Hey JC can yo get a plan view of that board and do they know roughly how many litres?

Phill

Hey Phill, here is another photo from Wardog's site...

It's an earlier prototype - you can tell that the tail is slightly pointier than the production model as seen in the photo Jonathan posted. That might just make it a better runner catcher. Also the red stripe version is light weight brushed carbon whereas the blue stripe is a heavier (and presumably much cheaper) EPS epoxy blah blah blah.

One thing's for sure - it's not the Pin with a new paint job.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
7 Mar 2010 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

You can imagine our dissapointment yesterday when Scott Mckercher showed up to race with one of the new carbon brushed race boards. Needless to say we saw him at the start and finish line.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
7 Mar 2010 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

surf4fun said...

You can imagine our dissapointment yesterday when Scott Mckercher showed up to race with one of the new carbon brushed race boards. Needless to say we saw him at the start and finish line.

Yeah no fair. Was he on the one with the foot cutouts? "The New".

Zimbo Reagan
WA, 469 posts
7 Mar 2010 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

surf4fun said...

Yeah no fair. Was he on the one with the foot cutouts? "The New".

No it was Surf Race Board 12'6 x 26.5

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
7 Mar 2010 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I haven't got any more info than that at the moment, the Surf Race should be here mid April and at this stage no one knows the prices! I'm getting a carbon so hopefully it's not too scary. I would be very surprised if the Free Race epoxy is much different to the current Pin pricing which is $1700ish from memory in the Camo version. There is a poor quality plan view image here Phil, scroll across to the race board section - it looks pretty similar to the Pin.

http://www.star-board-sup.com/2010/products/boards/overview.php

Not sure if the "New" is coming in epoxy but that could be the bargain race winning board in the 12'6 class if it is, I'm not so into racing, rather have something that is light and fun to surf on down-winders as well and fits inside my van!

Had the same experience with Scotty McKercher at the Doctor race, saw him at the start then at the finish! Talking to him about how the Surf Race caught wind swells was one of the things that convinced me to go for it. He said he was actually beating Mike Galvin on his F16 for the first half of the race while the swells were clean, it was only in the shadow of Rotto when it got super rough that he started to fall off and lost ground to the F16. To beat an F16 with a bloody good paddler on it in good wind swells with a 12'6 is quite something, he said it surfed really well too.

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
7 Mar 2010 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

The board Scot had yesterday had a concave bottom which i havent seen mentioned yet in any posts or advert spiels. It was quite a large area about quarter of the way back from the nose. The finish/paint job was also different to anything I've seen so far. The board actually reminded me in shape and thickness of a lifesavers paddle/rescue board. Definately quick though.

Lobes
885 posts
7 Mar 2010 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

So I know info on this board is still a bit sketchy but can one assume it will be semi-displacement like the pin?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2010 Starboard Race Boards" started by JonathanC