Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2012 Laguna Bay 7'10

Created by Geoff1 > 9 months ago, 6 Jan 2012
SECARTERMUSS
QLD, 181 posts
11 Jan 2012 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

Hot looking board , cant fault the master of custom built sups , surftech should be making more laguna bay style shapes ,than some of the other out- dated shapes there running with . great job tully

Mmmmm an 8'0 LB suftech would be nice

Marty

Starlet gc
NSW, 374 posts
11 Jan 2012 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

SECARTERMUSS said...

green menace said...

Hot looking board , cant fault the master of custom built sups , surftech should be making more laguna bay style shapes ,than some of the other out- dated shapes there running with . great job tully

Mmmmm an 8'0 LB suftech would be nice

Marty

hahahahaha.... Marty,,,, how many discussions have we had about a surftec 8 foot laguna Bay sup....

SECARTERMUSS
QLD, 181 posts
27 Jan 2012 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Geoff1 said...

thought I better show off TSJ's lattest creation, stoked on how this one turned out

So Geoff what's the Verdict are you happy with how she's surfing paddling ect?

Geoff1
QLD, 38 posts
27 Jan 2012 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Definetly a winner. Best one yet, coming up soon?

PTSUP
QLD, 218 posts
27 Jan 2012 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

I'm with Roachy,Surftech holds up to a pounding , 10 days in Hawaii and my 8'9 TSJ is about had it.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
28 Jan 2012 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

I know what you mean pt, riding geoffs old custom 8,2 I've realized I can't keep riding like a kook and hitting the board with my paddle. They are softer but that's the compromise for a high performance machine!!!! Best thing is, the boards force you to improve on all levels. Being 90kg didn't think I'd ever be able to ride an 8,2 but I'm loving it!

cel23
QLD, 175 posts
28 Jan 2012 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

rightio RJK!!! ;)

PTSUP
QLD, 218 posts
28 Jan 2012 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

After a brief chat with Tully in the Noosa main Beach carpark this morning I'd like to make a few things clear.There is no fault with Lagoona Bay Stand Up Paddle Boards ,shapes and production are second to none as all the best Sup Surfers would testify to.Aussie title holders are all on TSJ.

Surfing for 10 days without a break on the North Shore , maxing out Makaha on the West side and arriving back to 6' 8' swell over Crissy on the Sunny Coast I did everything that would snap a normal board, my TSJ was fantastic.I don't use deck pads,wax!!!So the deck gets a pounding.After I get another 6 months out of this 8'9 , I'll be straight back to Tully for a new one.

Its a huge balancing act to maintain performance , lightness and strength and Tully does this in an amazing, locally produced product.

JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
28 Jan 2012 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

My custom 8 footer from Tully is over 18 months old and going strong!!!
You just need to respect them and fix dings that night.

cel23
QLD, 175 posts
29 Jan 2012 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

You can't beat a good TSJ custom!

marym
QLD, 6 posts
4 Feb 2012 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

I just took out my new 7,10 tully board. I just doesn't get any better, tully your boards are amazing thanks so much - mary

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
4 Feb 2012 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmmm dont know about Laguna Bay customs being soft?

It got flogged at Cresent during the nationals in rediculous size surf, went over the reef at Bells several times and gets paddled 5 - 15 times a week.

Its had a solid caning for 6months plus and looks just like it just came out of the glassing bay.

SECARTERMUSS
QLD, 181 posts
4 Feb 2012 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Geoff any of you guys heading out the point Tomoz? Had a few fun ones out there today

Marty

Geoff1
QLD, 38 posts
4 Feb 2012 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah mate give us a call tonight

Cam Gillies
SA, 216 posts
5 Feb 2012 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

It got flogged at Cresent during the nationals in rediculous size surf, went over the reef at Bells several times and gets paddled 5 - 15 times a week.

Its had a solid caning for 6months plus and looks just like it just came out of the glassing bay.

Turn it up!!!! Looks like it just came out of the glassing bay, BULL****!!
Don't get me wrong, I reckon Laguna's are sweet, but you can't knock them around as much as a production board.
This isn't me getting into the whole custom versus production argument.....
Some people just talk it up, whatever brand they are riding all of a sudden becomes the most amazing board in every way, stronger, faster, lighter blah blah blah..... Just like their board before that and the one before that...
They are what they are......

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
5 Feb 2012 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Cam Gillies said...

OG SUP said...

Turn it up!!!! Looks like it just came out of the glassing bay, BULL****!!
Don't get me wrong, I reckon Laguna's are sweet, but you can't knock them around as much as a production board.
This isn't me getting into the whole custom versus production argument.....
Some people just talk it up, whatever brand they are riding all of a sudden becomes the most amazing board in every way, stronger, faster, lighter blah blah blah..... Just like their board before that and the one before that...
They are what they are......

Hi Cam,

Take a look at these hi res shots taken 5 mins ago there are 3 small white blips in the resin on one rail, not cracks but imperfections.

Leroy, Leon, Session, Revvin and a host of others would let you know how much of a pounding this board takes and how many times it hits the water.

If I took the wax of the deck there are 2 small heel indentations thats it.

I can only go on what I see and for us and with this board its in pretty much perfect condition after 6 months.

I have seen new production boards in shops in far worse condition.

Phill

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
5 Feb 2012 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

A key point is custom doesnt have to rediculously light and prone to damage or only for professionals.

It means you get done what you want done, wider, narrower, shorter, longer, more or less strength, more or less weight each has its merrits.

My 9'4 was made with way more glass / weight / strenght than normal because I wanted extra strength and weight in the wind, yes it increases swing weight but thats what I wanted hence custom.

Imperial built 32 inch wide and wider heavy glassed customs for big units on the coast well before PSH, Starboard etc had anything like it in the country.

If you get it glassed super light expect it to be a consumable.

Horses for courses.

Phill

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
5 Feb 2012 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

What Phill said. THEY ARE CUSTOM SUPs. Kristy spends more time in the water than out of it and there is a lot of grunt in the Beach, Reef and Point breaks around here. On the strength of this thread ( thanks everyone) after my back op I'm planning on going to The Noosa Festival of Surfing and visiting Mr TSJ and discuss my needs. It seems only logical that if you have specific requirements you go to someone who can cater for them. I'm not just talking about Laguna Bay boards, there are heaps of amazing shapers out there. It doesn't mean that I don't love stock boards (long live PSH, Fanatic and all the rest!!) but as Phill says "its horses for courses". If you want to pay you probably could get a Titanium coated board that was never scratched. I don't get this scratch and ding thing anyway?? If you leave the board in the garage it will be in perfect condition and have a great resale value. I prefer my dinged up scratched version of the Titanic that I always have heaps of fun on!! To paraphrase a famous advertisement "Resale value probably very little, Amount of fun had, priceless"

appsy
NSW, 198 posts
5 Feb 2012 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

TSJ made me a board two years ago we call the "golden child". It was one of the first pointy ended nose sup's we made. Ive ridden it in every comp since I've had it. I'm around 85 to 87 kg's and there's hardly a deck dint in it. Its extremely light. It still looks brand new. The same rules still apply. Keep it out of the sun (when u can) and fix little dings asap.

Leroy13 said...

What Phill said. THEY ARE CUSTOM SUPs. Kristy spends more time in the water than out of it and there is a lot of grunt in the Beach, Reef and Point breaks around here. On the strength of this thread ( thanks everyone) after my back op I'm planning on going to The Noosa Festival of Surfing and visiting Mr TSJ and discuss my needs. It seems only logical that if you have specific requirements you go to someone who can cater for them. I'm not just talking about Laguna Bay boards, there are heaps of amazing shapers out there. It doesn't mean that I don't love stock boards (long live PSH, Fanatic and all the rest!!) but as Phill says "its horses for courses". If you want to pay you probably could get a Titanium coated board that was never scratched. I don't get this scratch and ding thing anyway?? If you leave the board in the garage it will be in perfect condition and have a great resale value. I prefer my dinged up scratched version of the Titanic that I always have heaps of fun on!! To paraphrase a famous advertisement "Resale value probably very little, Amount of fun had, priceless"

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
5 Feb 2012 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

i can't believe this post is still going on.

any custom surf board style sup is well a 'surfboard'. does anyone go on and on about a short board if it gets a depression or dings

if you want a tank, get a tank. if you want a hp responsive board- get a custom

Starlet gc
NSW, 374 posts
6 Feb 2012 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

cel23 said...

You can't beat a good TSJ custom!

Totally agree! I love my custom 8'8 and also my surftec 8'6 TSJ.

Geoff..... I heard the 7'10 got flogged on the weekend???

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
19 Feb 2012 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Laguna 7'10 13th Beach this morning it was clean early and lots of fun.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2012 Laguna Bay 7'10" started by Geoff1