Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2013 In2Kayaks Avon Challenge

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 22 Jul 2013
Goochi
WA, 846 posts
22 Jul 2013 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Great Event last year! CWA are very supportive of SUP and SUPWA, very well run and a great part of the river. The SUP5000 this weekend will be a good warm up for this one.

Date: Sunday 4th August, 2013

Venue: Swan River ? Middle Swan Bridge, Middle Swan to Riverside Gardens, Bayswater

Entries: Online Entries close 12:01pm WST, Thursday August 1, 2013

Can register online:http://wa.canoe.org.au/event.asp?ID=15582&format=popup

Registrations: 6:15am-6:45am

Briefing: 7:15am, at Middle Swan Bridge, Middle Swan Reserve,

Start: Interval start by classes, in grids

8.00am ? 3 Leg Team Relay

8.10am ? 2 Leg Team Relay

8.15am ? Iron Person

8.20am ? Dragon Boats

8.26am ? Outriggers

9.00am ? Stand Up Paddlers (beginning from half way point, Fish Market Reserve)

Distance: 8km

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
23 Jul 2013 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Made a typo - should be 7km

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
24 Jul 2013 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Did this event last year and was a lot of fun. Nice easy distance for all level of paddlers, unfortunately i won't be paddling in this one though as i shall be somewhere off the Sumatran coast surfing perfect tropical waves .

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
25 Jul 2013 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Great event!

Last year saw 36 paddlers take part. Beautiful part of the river. race it or cruise it - lovely scenery.

It is a manageable distance for a beginner paddler on a race board - 12'6 or 14'. Quite a bit of a challenge for a surf board (<12'). The atmosphere is fantastic at the finish - food tents, rides, etc good family morning.

No entries at present, so come SUP guys and gals time to dust off the winter cobwebs and get the board on the water for one of the first races of the season.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
26 Jul 2013 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Shame to miss this one will be away suping warm water waves with the rest of crew missing it as well Menties here we come 2hrs and we will be in the bar at airport Yewwwwwww
And yes that board is the raining line winner of that event Soooooooo Fast 🙀👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

bt
QLD, 94 posts
26 Jul 2013 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

I remember watching this race last year wondering why you freaks wanted to race sups in flat water, this year I will be one of the freaks
Looking forward to it, gonna be a early morning coming from falcon!!!
You paddled like a beast that day stimo!

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
26 Jul 2013 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Yep I recommend giving it a go guy's and girls, you don't have to be to serious or experienced it is a pretty casual fun atmosphere, well it is until the hooter goes.

I thoroughly enjoyed this event last year, it was my first SUP race on a borrowed 12'6 (thanks Ian it's all your fault) and as a surfer/kiter I never really imagined I would enjoy flat water paddling at all but this event got me hooked.

A word of warning though it can be addictive, I have been in every SUP race that I could make it to since (and even one or two of the early morning training sessions)

I have got the right board for it this year with the 14' version of the above DC but unfortunately I will be flying out for some warm water waves as well.

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
26 Jul 2013 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

^^^excellent news. One less old b@stard to compete against

YOB Australia
WA, 169 posts
26 Jul 2013 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

C'mon Juddy, you're not in our age group are you ?? Or do you also fear " The OLD Bastards" ???

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
26 Jul 2013 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Fear. Abject fear...

Ian Grose
TAS, 423 posts
Site Sponsor
29 Jul 2013 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Here is another link with a bit more information http://wa.canoe.org.au/default.asp?Page=11000&MenuID=Events/c13288/10600

If any one wants to borrow a board and get addicted like Tightlines did in this event last year or Mr and Mrs Juddy did at another event give me a shout we have a range of 12'6" and 14' demo boards that I can bring along.

Hopefully see you Sunday:-)

Ian

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
30 Jul 2013 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Conditions looking good for the weekend. Sunshine and a mild tail wind - perfect race conditions. There were over 30 paddlers last year, look forward to seeing some new faces!

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
1 Aug 2013 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Dear SUPWA peeps

Just wondering if SUPWA is organising a board trailer to get boards from Bayswater up to Guildford (like last year)?

Juddy

Ian Grose
TAS, 423 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Aug 2013 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Guys,

Just thinking about logistics for Sunday. Anyone interested in meeting at the finish line drop of most cars there then head to the start line in a few vehicles, then we just need to do one car back to the start line to get vehicles?

I'll either take my van about 8 boards and 2 passengers, Cruiser and Trailer 15 boards and 6 passengers or van and trailer 2 passengers and 23 boards.

So please let me know if you want to car share and I will bring the relevant vehicle, also let me know if you want to borrow a board.

Send me a message on Facebook or email ian@standuppaddle.com.au

Anyone know what time we have to register?

I noticed our start time has changed to 9.30.

Cheers,

Ian

bt
QLD, 94 posts
1 Aug 2013 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, I won't make it to the finish first as I am gettin up way to early to get there from falcon
Ashlea will be meeting me at the finish so we could take 3 people back to the start, just not boards.
Looks like sups will have 18 on the start line, more than any other class!!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
1 Aug 2013 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Weather is looking fantastic! Anyone that has missed out and is wanting a last minute entry - PM me and I'll ask CWA.

Just got this info from CWA:
Registration (at fish market reserve) 0815 - 0900
Briefing 0900 - 0915
Start 0930

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
2 Aug 2013 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Greg,

just to confirm please, are PFD's a requirement this year? the rego info was a bit ambiguous?

Juddy

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
2 Aug 2013 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Greg,

just had confirmation from organisers SUP participants don't have to wear PFD.

Bewdy

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
2 Aug 2013 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, no PFD or legrope for river events for SUP.

Ian Grose
TAS, 423 posts
Site Sponsor
2 Aug 2013 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Guys,

I'm going to take my cruiser and trailer to the finish meet any one that wants a lift there at 8.00 and then head to the start.

Have room for 6 in the car and 15 boards on the trailer, so if we have a few more cars we can get the whole field up to the start line nice and easily.

Juddy has already offered to run 3 of us back to the start to pick up cars.

Looks like being a great day.

If anyone wants to borrow a board let me know by Saturday afternoon, remember if you want to try for a late entry P.M. Goochi.

ian@standuppaddle.com.au

Cheers,

Ian

buccaneer
WA, 60 posts
2 Aug 2013 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Which Riverside Gardens Bayswater do we go to so we can transfer to the start?
There are 2 shown on the map: Riverside Gardens & Bayswater Riverside Gardens.
Do we come in via Milne St (Riverside Gardens) or Memorial Drive (Bayswater Riverside Gardens)?
There doesn't seem to be any parking shown on the map either.
Does anybody know what the parking situation is there?
Thanks,
DJ

Ian Grose
TAS, 423 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Aug 2013 2:21AM
Thumbs Up

From memory it is Milne Street.

At the finish we paddle right past the jetty with the little gazebo on the end of it, then land on the beach just past it.

There is heaps of parking on the lawn behind the marques etc, so lets meet on the grass near the marques, so you guys can get a good park for when we finish.

Cheers,

Ian

Brogan
WA, 1 posts
3 Aug 2013 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Any one know if there will be any late or 'on the day' registrations for The Avon decent SUP race tomorrow? I've been working in deepest darkest Indonesia for a while and didn't sort myself out before hand :S Any help gratefully received Cheers....... Captain Last Minute

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
3 Aug 2013 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone just got some further details from CWA

Fish Market Reserve SUP
Registration​ 0815 - 0900
Briefing​​ 0900 - 0915

0930 - Grid 9​SUP 12.6ft ​​​
0932 - Grid 10​SUP 14ft​​​

1100 Presentations start
1200 Presentations finish

1230 First paddlers for Avon Descent should start arriving.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
4 Aug 2013 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

How did the race go this morning?

buccaneer
WA, 60 posts
4 Aug 2013 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

I'll try to give a brief update...
Excellent conditions with very light winds and a slight outgoing tide.
Greg Kerr and Ben Tardrew put daylight between themselves and the field early with BT drafting GK all the way but couldn't quite paddle over him at the line. Not sure of time - low 40's??
NB: BT was on a 12'6" DC...he mentioned an average speed of 9.5 kmh
Ben Farmer finished strong to take third by a board length from a fading Derek Jones.
Marie Bowen took out the Women's 12'6"
Not sure about the other divisions...presentations were a little confusing with paddlers announced but not the division and there was no results announced for the O50 Men's 14'.
Great event though, beautiful part of the river and great camaraderie.
I'm sure someone else (GK) can fill in the gaps.

Cheers,
DJ

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
5 Aug 2013 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Big thanks to Greg & the SUPWA crew for supporting & encouraging SUP participation in this event - hopefully we can grow the numbers for 2014, and big thanks to Ian from Stand Up Paddle for bringing his trailer to make the logistics just a bit easier!

Juddy

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
6 Aug 2013 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys
The conditions over the weekend were absolutely perfect. Slack tide, minimal breeze and glorious sunshine - very similar conditions to last year. With a few people away it was always going to be a smaller turn out than last year, but the paddlers that turned up had fun and did very well over 6.82km course (not quite 7km)

CWA did a great job including SUP and putting up some prizes for the divisions. Everyone was welcoming and the atmosphere was great. Special thanks to Ian for the trailer and Juddy for assisting with the car drop off.

SUP 12'6 Female

1st Marie Bowen 0:51:50
2nd Natalie Curtis 0:53:56
3rd Ann Worrall 0:57:04
DNS Diane MacPhail
DNS Jade Lane

SUP 12'6 Male

1st Justin O'Malley 0:48:38
2nd Colin Grimshaw 0:52:24

SUP 14' Male

1st Greg Kerr 0:41:04
2nd Ben Tardrew (12'6!) 0:41:07
3rd Benjamin Farmer 0:43:58
4th Derek Jones 0:44:17
5th Lach Simpson 0:45:27
6th Gordon Salvage 0:45:38
7th Ian Grose 0:46:43
8th David Slater 0:48:17
9th Ian Nichol 0:48:30
10th Dan Jones 0:50:54
DNS Thomas Nador
DNS Ian Lane

I thought I'd attach last years results as well. You can track some improvement over the course of a year. Fantastic effort by Ben Farmer in his first year on a SUP.

www.wa.canoe.org.au/wp-content/uploads/old-files/wa/downloads/Avon%20Challenge_Results_2012_Web%20corrected.pdf

See you at the next event - the SUP5000 in late August.

Benno87
WA, 51 posts
6 Aug 2013 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Great event and amazing weather and conditions for the middle of winter! Thanks again to Ian for making it so easy with carting boards around before the race!

Did anyone manage to get some photos of the day?

ianontour
WA, 32 posts
7 Aug 2013 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Great event again, thanks Canoeing WA and SUPWA. Well done to everyone for paddling in deep mid winter :) some great times there and good improvements on last years times, training must be paying off. Enjoy the paddle loop Sunday, I can't make it this time (clashes with the Perth half marathon). Cheers, Ian.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
7 Aug 2013 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hopefully this thread is dead by the time Stimo gets back otherwise we aren't going to hear the end of the fact that he holds the course record!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2013 In2Kayaks Avon Challenge" started by Goochi