Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2+1=3D

Created by Piros > 9 months ago, 5 Dec 2010
Piros
QLD, 6992 posts
6 Dec 2010 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

Picked up my new 8-11 PSH Ripper yesterday gripped her up and with the curse of the ENE'ers smashing the Gold Coast over the last few weeks , I threw the kids in the car and bolted to Byron Bay to hit the Pass the only place that can deal with this wind.Gave the kids 50 bucks and dropped them off at the markets and said I'll be back in a couple of hours.

Not expecting much surf I decided to run the FCS 3D as a centre for an experiment. The Pass was a solid 3 to 4 foot with the ENE sea sickness all over it. It was partially protected from the wind with a spa bath rip gushing around the point , it was lumpy fast and fat but the best waves I've seen in a while.First wave was 150m ride in the soup and was pretty amazed how the 3D centre held the board keeping it in solid dropping down the face and in the cut backs,no bucket chucking due to wave shape (but probably due to lack of ability) don't really understand the theory on the 3D but it seems to work on a SUP.

Interested to hear if anyone else has used it on a SUP.

Rob

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
6 Dec 2010 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

The main reason I'd use a fin like that is the safety aspect.. and it looks pretty cool.. .. Congrats on the new board.. Nice rounded pin tail..

DJ

worrier
WA, 726 posts
6 Dec 2010 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

I got a sneakin suspicion that the FCS would come into its own in bigger surf givin a bit more control on the lumpy ones.
Im gonna order one and try it anyway.
Never really bothered with the whole fin experimenting thing, just seemed like a con to me to sell more fins but this one appeals to me for some reason.
W

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
6 Dec 2010 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

I tried the side fins called 3ds, absolutely hated them, like towing a bucket. glad the centre works for you...

cruisen
TAS, 120 posts
6 Dec 2010 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi
I tryed the centre fin thing 6 months ago. Couldn't get the snap of the lip or sharp cut backs. Really its only anygood for going straight down the line, long radius turns and stability. Hence it's gathering dust now.

Piros
QLD, 6992 posts
6 Dec 2010 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

worrier said...

I got a sneakin suspicion that the FCS would come into its own in bigger surf givin a bit more control on the lumpy ones.
Im gonna order one and try it anyway.
Never really bothered with the whole fin experimenting thing, just seemed like a con to me to sell more fins but this one appeals to me for some reason.
W

Just take special care with the FSC fin box adaptor make sure the grub screws are nice and tight , they have a habit of dropping fins.I drilled mine and put a pin through the fin and adatptor before putting in in the centre box.

riverider
TAS, 1100 posts
6 Dec 2010 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

I've use the 3ds fins all the time and find they give me more power of the bottom turns, also tried the 3d centre fin but found that i was going sideways to much, just wasn't big enough, so put it back in my prone board which it has always worked well in, gives me more speed through the flat sections and when it is a bit choppy.

gumballs
NSW, 408 posts
6 Dec 2010 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

I've got one of those.I've only used it in a 6'10"short board and an 8'4"Mc Tavish carver,they both went well with it.I was told that it stablizes the tail whilst in the soup or coming of the foam.It is definatly only for down the line or larger waves as you won't get any release of the top with it.However SUP's are a lot wider and thicker and this fin may work well with them.P.S:What are these adapter things I've never heard of them and would like to purchase one.

riverider
TAS, 1100 posts
6 Dec 2010 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Gumballs they are "fcs longboard fin box adapter" it lets you can put your fcs fins in the standard centre fin box should cost about $20-$30 from you local surf shop.

chrispychru
QLD, 7932 posts
7 Dec 2010 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

hey i think its funny you like it,i bet you like all gizmos Piros. Im only new to sup but i remember when we won the americas cup with the winged keel. i bought one screwed it in got to water feeling like the man,placebo effect running high on my new found coolness and technology...... aaaarrrrgh the failure was so fast to kill my spirit ,never had anything make a board so slow. they where also supposed to make your board heaps looser.....again not. still i to love buying crazy crap ,all the time

Piros
QLD, 6992 posts
8 Dec 2010 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

chrispychru said...

hey i think its funny you like it,i bet you like all gizmos Piros. Im only new to sup but i remember when we won the americas cup with the winged keel. i bought one screwed it in got to water feeling like the man,placebo effect running high on my new found coolness and technology...... aaaarrrrgh the failure was so fast to kill my spirit ,never had anything make a board so slow. they where also supposed to make your board heaps looser.....again not. still i to love buying crazy crap ,all the time

Yeah you're right there love the weird stuff but I do ride alot of bombie style waves on my sup and I did like the way it kept the tail stuck to the wave. I paddle in where guys tow in and this fin has merit , would like to try a slighty longer version, but can't see it working on sups with a wide fat tail.

worrier
WA, 726 posts
8 Dec 2010 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Im gonna try it on my Mana as soon as I can find a supplier up here so I will let you know how it goes on big fat tails.
W

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
8 Dec 2010 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Piros, I ran the FCS H2 Large sides with the 3D red tip in my board for a few months when they were first released.

It certainly got some attention.

Very drivey and felt almost frictionless, impossible to release the tail actually.

I am trying to find some pics to inspire you, will post when I find them.

Actually just check the variations in fins at the bottom of this page.

2 x H2's with 2 x 3D red tips in the rear fins on the quad. Now that would be interesting!

Piros
QLD, 6992 posts
8 Dec 2010 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Piros, I ran the FCS H2 Large sides with the 3D red tip in my board for a few months when they were first released.

That's the exact set up I had in my 6-8 indo short board , it's been collecting dust for the last 4 years so I thought I would try the 3D in the Sup , can't use the H2's due to future boxes in the Sup but I loved the set up in my shorty , definelty the right combo.

Don't know about the quad set up but I'll try anything twice ,we should catch up this weekend and give it a blast.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
15 Dec 2010 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

That's the exact set up I had in my 6-8 indo short board , it's been collecting dust for the last 4 years so I thought I would try the 3D in the Sup , can't use the H2's due to future boxes in the Sup but I loved the set up in my shorty , definelty the right combo.

Don't know about the quad set up but I'll try anything twice ,we should catch up this weekend and give it a blast.

How did that board go with that set up Piros?

Piros
QLD, 6992 posts
15 Dec 2010 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Thumbs down I'm afraid for the 3D ,I took it out and swapped with a 7" centre and the board just sprung to life. The 3D really slow's it up in the turns I just didn't realise how hard I was pushing on my back foot until I took it out.

Changed the 2+1 set up to a quad with AM2's front and back , really liked it and scored classic Kirra this morning 3+ feet super fast frieght train waves , heaps of hidings but still managed a few amazing rides.This board is so fast with the pulled in nose and tail , I would have full confidence dropping into Indo pits on this board.

Quad set up will stay

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
15 Dec 2010 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

Thumbs down I'm afraid for the 3D ,I took it out and swapped with a 7" centre and the board just sprung to life. The 3D really slow's it up in the turns I just didn't realise how hard I was pushing on my back foot until I took it out.

Changed the 2+1 set up to a quad with AM2's front and back , really liked it and scored classic Kirra this morning 3+ feet super fast frieght train waves , heaps of hidings but still managed a few amazing rides.This board is so fast with the pulled in nose and tail , I would have full confidence dropping into Indo pits on this board.

Quad set up will stay

Cool but I was asking about "That's the exact set up I had in my 6-8 indo short board "

Piros
QLD, 6992 posts
16 Dec 2010 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Cool but I was asking about "That's the exact set up I had in my 6-8 indo short board "

Yeah for the shortie , it was great , I had'n't changed that set up for 4 years. Love it

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2+1=3D" started by Piros