Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Best "wife" board to go with a Naish Nalu 10.6.5

Created by kevpun > 9 months ago, 4 Sep 2012
kevpun
47 posts
4 Sep 2012 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All - I'm new here and brand new to SUP.

I'm on the northern beaches of Sydney and have settled my mind on a new Naish Nalu 10.6.5 wood.

So the sneaky question is ... if I was getting something "for my wife", what should this second board be? If I stick with Naish, I'm considering a Manu 9.5 - or maybe one of the Hokua's ... ?

I'll trim to ~83kg (not there yet) and the better half (yeh, I should know) is probably under 60kg.

Current SUP ability? - we'll find out!

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kev.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
5 Sep 2012 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

The 9'5" Mana would be a great board or the wife.. It's a nice and easy board to paddle.. even the 9'5" Alana might score you some good points.. It's a very different board to the new 10'6".5 .. I have the new 10'6".5 in wood and 'wot an awesome board' .. I also have a 10' Mana but unless your wife is 100kgs the 9'5" is a better choice.. The Mana is a gret alrounder board for her.. but if it's mostly for you and not your wife the new 9'10" Hokua might be a better choice to go with the 10'6".5..

DJ

kevpun
47 posts
5 Sep 2012 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks DJ.

I suppose the reality is I could duct tape a sheet of ply to a inflatable bed and my wife could have fun on it for her likely level of paddling in the near future ... so it's certainly a second board for me - but with the benefit of serving a wide purpose.

I can see the Hokua is probably for a more experienced rider and the smart path would be to gain experience on the Nalu and test ride the options before pulling the trigger on number two (but that conflicts with excessive compulsive disorder!)

I suppose another option is to grab a second hand knock about as a short termer for her (the 10.6.5 is a combo father's day and birthday present for me - I'm not being a total horror).

Getting an inflatable SUP as the second board is also an interesting variety option

Kev.

worrier
WA, 726 posts
5 Sep 2012 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Have a think about going larger as a second board.
I bought a PSH12 fter a few years ago for downwinders and just cruising when its flat on the reefs etc. Got my wave board Jimmy Lewis 9ft but the missus loves the 12er, really stable and easy to paddle for her. I can keep up with her on the flat water paddles no probs on my JL9 and then if I wanna do a down winder or hit some small fun swells I take the big girl out.
Another option anyway and you get a extra board to use just don't tell the wife your reasoning.
W

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
5 Sep 2012 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Best bet would be to talk to Sam at Windsurfnsnow at Long Reef or Mark at the demo centre on Narrabeen lake. Both these guys can steer you in the right direction and they're local to you.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
5 Sep 2012 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

The 9'10" Hokua definitely. I own an 11'4" Nalu & a 9'10" Hokua & it's a great combo for all conditions. The Hokua would easily suit your wifes needs & once your skills improve you'll love surfing it.

jasdeking
QLD, 1820 posts
5 Sep 2012 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

check out the f one range they are stable , light to carry ( which is really important and often overlooked ) and look very sexy and surf really well

my wife is ion her 3rd sup in 2 yrs and loves the f one 9 foot x 30

it is a great board but you will want it

Rosscoe
VIC, 505 posts
5 Sep 2012 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

My 2cents - if you want something to develop into go for the 9.0 Hokua. It will be quite stable for your weight and goes well. I'm 90 something kgs (it's my Melbourne winter protection) and I have the 8.5 and the 9.0 Hokua and use the 9.0 when it's lumpy/windy etc.

Bottom line is probably that you should test some demo boards...you can tell your wife that you are saving her the trouble and that you are, of course, very concerned to select the right board for her!

kevpun
47 posts
5 Sep 2012 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

nnsupp, Sam's my "pusher"

worrier, didn't think in the bigger dimension - hmmm

rosscoe, 9 Hokua is certainly in line with my ego (if not current ability) !

zeussan - you sound like the voice of reason

jasdeking ... weren't you warned about making equations more complicated

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
6 Sep 2012 1:32AM
Thumbs Up

Zeusman said...

The 9'10" Hokua definitely. I own an 11'4" Nalu & a 9'10" Hokua & it's a great combo for all conditions. The Hokua would easily suit your wifes needs & once your skills improve you'll love surfing it.

A "yay" from me for the 9'10 also

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
6 Sep 2012 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

NNSUP said...

Best bet would be to talk to Sam at Windsurfnsnow at Long Reef or Mark at the demo centre on Narrabeen lake. Both these guys can steer you in the right direction and they're local to you.

Don't forget AA at Balmoral Boards in North Manly also.

mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
6 Sep 2012 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

I was looking for a board for my wife to use and settled on this.

Dimensions are 2'11" x 12" x 1"

Oh come on someone has to say it, we were all thinking it.

mbuzz
NSW, 261 posts
6 Sep 2012 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

In all seriousness. I'd go 9'10 hokua or even 9'5 hokua over the 9'5 mana.

I had a 9'5 mana and loved it but it doesn't give her/you much room to progress, plus the reality is the second board will probably be used as much by you as by her.

After a few flat water hours on something bigger, she would easily progress to flatwater on the 9'5 hokua, when it comes to waves, is she likely to be going out in big conditions? If she's anything like my wife, she'll most likely want to go out in 2 foot cleanish conditions which means the 9'5 should still float her easily.

Plus you can progress to it and it give's you both options rather than getting two boards that have similar buoyancy.

kevpun
47 posts
6 Sep 2012 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like if my wife can still water paddle a Hokua in a reasonable straight line (maybe with some fin swapping if necessary) then its the right target for SUP number 2.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
6 Sep 2012 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Zeusman said...

I'm asking what you wife thinks of the Hokua next time i see her Zuesman............

(which isnt often (But I could txt))

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
6 Sep 2012 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

ShireSUP said...

Zeusman said...

I'm asking what you wife thinks of the Hokua next time i see her Zuesman............

Haha...

She is quite happy with it I think. Only because I have stopped buying boards now.

P.S. She owns a 9'5" Alana.... Which I bought for her.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
6 Sep 2012 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Happy wife, happy life

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
6 Sep 2012 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice.. and great choice with the board and paddle..

DJ

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
7 Sep 2012 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Very nice.. and great choice with the board and paddle..

DJ

Thanx DJ.

Thought you might approve.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
7 Sep 2012 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Zeusman said...

ShireSUP said...

Zeusman said...

Haha...

She is quite happy with it I think. Only because I have stopped buying boards now.

P.S. She owns a 9'5" Alana.... Which I bought for her.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
7 Sep 2012 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Zeusman said...

Happy wife, happy life

Now if only we could get Kelly to actually stand up on it

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
7 Sep 2012 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

She does that too.

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
7 Sep 2012 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Wrong thread Zeusman, should post those pics in...

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Sexy-girl-SUP-pics/

(intended as a compliment)

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
7 Sep 2012 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Zeusman said...

She does that too.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
7 Sep 2012 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

when i first looked at this i thought it was something like this

Best "wife" to go with a Naish Nalu 10.6.5

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
7 Sep 2012 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Sailhack said...

^^^ Wrong thread Zeusman, should post those pics in...

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Sexy-girl-SUP-pics/

(intended as a compliment)

Yes I know mate. I'll get there.

Thanx

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Best "wife" board to go with a Naish Nalu 10.6.5" started by kevpun