Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Burleigh Single Fin Comp 2013

Created by Downwinder > 9 months ago, 3 Jan 2013
Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
3 Jan 2013 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

G'day Towney The Burleigh Rocky is PUMPING its 3-4ft I had 2 surfs already. It supposed to get bigger over the weekend if Cyclone Freda does her thing, it's a great 3 day event with the Charity Luncheon if the surf does get big it be worth the Drive up from Foster.

Single fin festival starts Friday [4th]
CLASSIC SURFING, ON CLASSIC BOARDS, AT WORLD FAMOUS BURLEIGH HEADS
STOP PRESS- CYCLONE FREDA LOOKING TO PROVIDE HUGE SWELL FOR 2013 BURLEIGH BOARDRIDERS SINGLE FIN CLASSIC
Surfers and sporting celebrities will be dusting off their retro boards for the upcoming Burleigh Boardriders Single Fin Festival, which will take place over three days in January, 4th to 6th, at the Gold Coast's iconic and internationally renowned point break, Burleigh Heads.
Football stars like Nathan Brock, Jarrad Brennan (Gold Coast Suns), Dave "The Coal Train" Taylor (Gold Coast Titans), and shaper to the surf stars Jason Stevenson "JS", and team riders will attend the Burleigh Boardriders Charity Luncheon on Friday the 4th, before taking to the water on pre-1985 surfboards against the likes of world # 1 Joel Parkinson, legend Mark Occhilupo and local professionals Jay "Bottle" Thompson and Dave Rastovich.
Funnyman, Freddo Lang, will host the charity luncheon at Burleigh Bears Leagues Club on Friday, with funds raised going to the Burleigh Boardriders Junior Development Program, the "White Christmas Fund", supported by the Gold Coast Suns, and other charities (TBC).
Guest speakers will include Brock, Brennan, Taylor, Parkinson and a guru of modern surfboard design, Jason "JS" Stevenson. With Freddo leading proceedings, funny stories are a guarantee. There will also be a bumper sports memorabilia auction and giant raffle, including a signed Joel Parkinson "JS" surfboard.
The 16th Burleigh Boardriders Single Fin Classic, presented by Billabong will kick off on Saturday at Burleigh Heads. Everyone is invited to attend - with a huge display of antique surfboards and memorabilia, and modern surfboard shapers displaying their retro designed craft.
The surfing and the fun goes all weekend, with a live music performance in front of Burleigh Boardriders Clubroom on the Sunday to round off the event. Stay tuned for more celebrity and music announcements.
The single-fin competition caters for surfers from 10 to 50 years of age, all surfing on pre-1985 boards. Some grommets will be ripping on boards twice their own age!
Burleigh local ripper, Kyle "Dvex" Robinson, also known as "three-in-a-row Deveccio", after winning the event three consecutive years, is also a perennial finalist.
"I received my first surfboard for Christmas in 1983, an MR Single fin. The Single Fin Classic is held after Christmas each year, so every year I dust off the old single fin and re-live some of the golden times! I get to say Happy New Year to my mates, surf my favourite contest, at my favourite place on earth."
Dwayne Harris, the "Sheriff of Burleigh Heads", is a life member of Burleigh Boardriders.
"The single fin is a fun contest; a reunion for all the old crew and an opportunity to remember our fallen brothers and sisters. It is not a pro contest, it's all about fun," explains Harris.
Entries are limited and close Jan 2nd. Visit the Surfing Queensland Website.?Opens ($70) www.surfingqueensland.com/event.php?id=182
;Juniors $25) http://www.surfingqueensland.com/event.php?id=183
Burleigh Boardriders Charity Luncheon?Burleigh Bears Leagues Club, 12pm on Friday, Jan 4th.?Tickets $100 (includes food, refreshments and entertainment.?To purchase, contact Burleigh Boardriders Treasurer, Andrea Ford, on 0755354349, or andrea@fjpcs.com.au.

My Quiver

thePup
13831 posts
3 Jan 2013 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Ripper of an event , best of luck to all that enter - and also the sponsors who re-invest in the sport and promote local surfing in general - thanks!!!!
good onya DW (nice quiv too btw) for taking the time to post it up for us all mate.

Cheers!

Pup

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
3 Jan 2013 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Its a great event,I was at that one Phil and a few others to follow,I would sit on Al' Dicks table,I self banned myself a couple of years ago due too way too many beers and an out of control night would always follow.

See you there on the weekend,epic Burleigh, the swell will kicks in.

Towny
NSW, 903 posts
3 Jan 2013 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers DW
il leave in the morning every yr I been there for it has been average,yesterday a mate at burleigh rang and said get up here for it
Yeeeew frothing.....

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
3 Jan 2013 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Towny tip just don't walk around with a paddle in hand

Towny
NSW, 903 posts
3 Jan 2013 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...
Towny tip just don't walk around with a paddle in hand

Yeah fully spent a bit of time there it's still regulated unlike the southern points

TommyL
QLD, 80 posts
3 Jan 2013 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

It sucks that they dont close the point for it. Feel sorry for the guys in the comp having to compete with 100 other surfers scrapin for every wave. Still a sik comp and ill be there with the lens. Yeeeewwwwww

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
5 Jan 2013 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Well I went down and witnessed some fantastic surfing,had a brief chat with DWer pre heat,he locked in this insane barrel but got head slapped.

joeyjojo
67 posts
5 Jan 2013 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...
Well I went down and witnessed some fantastic surfing,had a brief chat with DWer pre heat,he locked in this insane barrel but got head slapped.

Must have been his back foot positioning!

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
5 Jan 2013 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Nah he had the GPS set 25 knots open ocean prone style

Scotty88
4214 posts
5 Jan 2013 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

If only DW's board was 'built for speed' he may have come out.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
5 Jan 2013 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty88 said...
62mac said...

If only DW's board was 'built for speed' he may have come out.

Let me tell you Scotty a Naish or Starboard would not have made it out,however maybe a SIC perhaps

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
5 Jan 2013 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
5 Jan 2013 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yep it was a great Barrel I was in it for BULK - Travel Time. It just shut down on me on the way out SPEW I tell ya it looked great from the inside looking out, DEEP AS. If I'd had made it, it would have been a 10 ponit ride ( Yep had both feet planted on the 1980 6'10 MR ). Same thing happened to Gidzey in the next heat I had a birds eye view he's Barrel was GOLD easy 10 points if he didn't get flogged on the way out.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
5 Jan 2013 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Did you see heat 11 in Blue good family friends Hatcher 3 barrel wave and his next wave lands an air reverse on the old stick,yep he won his heat surfs against Occy tomorrow.

Oh and DW you were deep mate real deep.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
5 Jan 2013 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

So how did the Sups go?

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
5 Jan 2013 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

teatrea said...
So how did the Sups go?

I don't think the locals would allow one to paddle out today mate,just a fact no sh-t no stir.

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
6 Jan 2013 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...
Did you see heat 11 in Blue good family friends Hatcher 3 barrel wave and his next wave lands an air reverse on the old stick,yep he won his heat surfs against Occy tomorrow.

Oh and DW you were deep mate real deep.

Yep watched heat 11 Hatcher Rips

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
6 Jan 2013 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

The qualities a bit s##t as it took me 26 years to transfer from Video to CD
1984 Nias Barrel on a 6'8'' Single Fin

I nearly died that day, my 22nd Birthday I took off on the set of the day just after this Barrel. Solid 12fter my Single Fin didn't grab so I free fell down the face and had a 3 wave hold down, my surfboard was tomb stoning. I reached down grabbed the legrope pulled myself to the surface. I was lucky to grab one mouthful of air just before another set exploded on my head (Help Me Please Mr Wizard). I went back down for the biggest hold down of my life (where oxygen is more precious than gold) I just managed to make it to the surface, another second later I would have drowned my body felt lifeless I just sat on my surfboard for like 15 minutes just getting my breath back. Then I paddled back into the lineup and got tubed off my face by a 10ft BOMB. The next day I got so sick from Malaria I spent a week in a Singapore Hospital I looked like a POW from World War 11.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
6 Jan 2013 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Epic mate and Hatcher took down Occy today

Scotty88
4214 posts
6 Jan 2013 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

DW, charging at Burleigh.
Love ya work.
Fark you've been everywhere man.

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
18 Jan 2013 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Check out this footage

wazza66
QLD, 611 posts
18 Jan 2013 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Top find Phil....sick tube riding and how good was Luke Egan's backhand pigdog barrel.
Went down on Sat morning and checked out all the old classic single fins and watched 4hrs of heats, awesome surfing all round.
Polsy certainly cranked a few big snaps in his heat.

Waz

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Burleigh Single Fin Comp 2013" started by Downwinder