Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Cockatoo Cup 2013 and Suplove Demo day

Created by Suplove > 9 months ago, 14 Jan 2013
Suplove
NSW, 201 posts
14 Jan 2013 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Suplove the Sup Sponsor for this annual race will have the entire range of Suplove Sups there for you to trial. Come for a paddle or enter the race.

If anyone needs boards to race please let me know.

The race is handicapped so anyone has a chance of taking out the overall title. Sup course is 7kms.

The race organisers have a BBQ on the day as well as a cup cake bake off for those that have some culinary skills.

To add some fun they also run a fancy dress completion.

Registration is from 7 am on the day and it is all over by lunch time so plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the long weekend.

Registration for the Australia Day Cockatoo Cup is available on the day.

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
14 Jan 2013 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

More about the handicapping...they put individuals in according to your estimated boat speed with starts every 3 minutes so make sure you've got your story straight for why you deserve a head start over your mate.

Doesn't matter whether you want to turn up on your 11' or 17' board, you still have as much chance as anyone else.

With everyone coming down the home straight at the same time, better hope you've got something in the tank for the sprint finish.

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
14 Jan 2013 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

By the way, the link seems to be broken so just click on "Register Now" below the pic at the following website:

www.pacificdragons.com.au

Suplove
NSW, 201 posts
22 Jan 2013 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

A reminder to paddlers about this saturdays race. Its about 7 km and so is a good hit out. This is always a fun event and handicaped on board length so everyone can have a go :) At this stage it looks like light winds so it could be a nice paddle around Sydney Harbour.

Suplove
NSW, 201 posts
26 Jan 2013 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Amazing race today. The finish came down to couple of regular paddlers from the jamieson park sunday time trial crew. Decided in the last 5 Metres . More info coming soon.:) The course itself was very technical and made for a variety of elements. Some new paddlers joining us from the Gong who put there hand up and where counted at the finish. Great way to start the day :))

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
27 Jan 2013 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Well done on catching that breakaway to take the win.

Suplove
NSW, 201 posts
29 Jan 2013 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Mark

The official results are here:

SUP: Stuart Murray

SUP runner up: Mark Rennie

SUP 3rd place: Jason Gava

I was scratching my head trying to figure out a way back into the race for 6km. Somehow I found a run into the wind, still shaking my head how I beat a game Mark Rennie. The photos in the Cockatoo Cup facebook album tell a few stories :)) Can you see one of you in there?

www.facebook.com/pages/Cockatoo-Cupcake-Cup/190238731004011

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
29 Jan 2013 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Reckon you had the sup "bow of least resistance" there. I lost a lot of groundon the 2km homeward upwind leg on the bullet (just not the board for that) but I had a sweet 3km downwind leg.

I have a good series of pics (of me) from the gopro on my FB site and there is a good one of you and Mark bearing down on me around the ferry wharf. If I can get a hold of a few high res ones of the sups I'll post 'em on the forum.

Suplove
NSW, 201 posts
29 Jan 2013 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Post em up. :) Thank you.

The technical aspects of this course are multple.

Photos may tell more of the story.

Three Islands, one ferry crossing, two side wind, one upwind, one down wind leg, boat wake, harbour bounce make this a classic harbour challenge race.

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
6 Feb 2013 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

It has taken a little time for results to come out as there were almost 70 craft of all shapes and sizes, and a few that paddled off into the sunset leaving some gaps in the results list. All up a scenic race in challenging, windy conditions. This event started as an invitation by a sole paddler, Dave Hammond, to his outrigging & dragon boat mates for a novelty event so that we could all finish at the same time and have a bbq together on Australia Day. It rapidly got bigger than ben hur and the Pacific Dragons club (pacificdragons.com.au) chipped in and helped it continue. PDs have really enjoyed putting it on for the local paddling community (at least six years now) and a big thanks to SUPLOVE and the other event sponsors for getting behind it.

Here are the sup results for the lads.

Overall Pos. SUP Pos. Paddler(s) H'cap Time Craft
long course excl. h'cap
14 1 S Murray 45 0:53:46 SUPLOVE STINGRAY 14'
17 2 M Rennie 45 0:54:04 FANATIC FALCON 14'
24 3 J Gava 39 1:01:27 COREBAN ALPHA 12'6"
46 4 M Hall 42 1:03:02 SIC BULLET 14'
35 5 N Joe 39 1:04:04 FANATIC FLY 12'6"
51 6 K Davenport (F)42 1:07:31 FANATIC FALCON 14'
W Morris 39 DNF NAISH JAV 12'6"
M Harper DNS?* DNS? JAMIE MITCHELL NAV 14'
T Boyd DNS?* DNS? JAMIE MITCHELL NAV 14'

* May not have called number at finish line. PM me and I'll do my best to sort it out and get back to you.

Suplove
NSW, 201 posts
7 Feb 2013 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Snowie

All paddlers put in 100%, there were some great stories shared after too.

Mark hit a rock with his fin around the first island I believe?

I wondered why he tumbled there.

Chasing Bumps
QLD, 28 posts
14 Feb 2013 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Yep Stu I just got knocked off which might have made all the difference to the finish!

My Oyster encounter was nothing compared to yours after the race finished though.

ps chose my new profile name after mistakenly telling you I get hot feet when racing

Suplove
NSW, 201 posts
16 Feb 2013 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Too funny hot feet

I am sure you have a very rare case of overheat

Too funny

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Cockatoo Cup 2013 and Suplove Demo day" started by Suplove