Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Compare Naish 12'6 to Fanatic 12'6

Created by babson > 9 months ago, 14 Aug 2011
babson
4 posts
14 Aug 2011 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone have a comparison between the 2012 Naish and the 2012 Fanatic, speed, stability, downwind wave riding etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
14 Aug 2011 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Ask Lacey he knows just don't start him on fins

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
14 Aug 2011 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

You're obviously talking about the Naish Catalina, with the sunken deck? Compared to The Fanatic Fly Race?

Fly Race Carbon is super light. That would be the one I would steer towards. I think the Catalina was orientated to Surf Style BOP (Battle of the Paddle) Races.

I have only had a short paddle on both, on separate days. Both are good boards. The Catalina surf quite well, easy to handle.... I would go out on a limb, and suggest that the Catalina is easier to handle in the surf... Catalina is semi narrow at 27"5/8, and The Fly is 30"1/2. But The Fly seems to come in a 27"3/4 option now.

If you're heavier, The Fly 30"1/2 could be a good option....

http://www.fanatic-sup.com/content/products/sup/fly_race/index_eng.html
www.naishsurfing.com/boards/glide/glide-details/?hgm=1_6

For me personally, I like 14-17+ feet of fun. And the S.I.C. F-18 is one serious weapon !! Built for SPEED !!
www.sicmaui.com/f18.htm It's not cheap though, and hard to find them in Oz.

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
14 Aug 2011 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Most normal adult males who are 85kg and over will have more fun on 14+ feet when down winding.

There are some exceptional males in the 70kg-85kg range who smoke on "twelve sixers" in DW conditions though.

I know the F-18 goes really well in most conditions, for adult males in the range of 85-105kg's. The F-18 cuts up any triangle course, and can pick up the tiniest bumps on any DW leg. A very competent All Round Racer, and super light for 18 feet. But often races have class/length thresholds.

What state are you in? There are quite a few places to Demo these SUP's.... Both of those boards have been popular demo boards.... both usually available at demo days, especially if Fanatic or Naish are involved with the demo day....

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2011 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

a laugh a minute

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
14 Aug 2011 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

62mac said...

a laugh a minute

So what do you think Lacey, I'm keen on the Fanatic 30 wide model,flatwater only.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2011 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

laceys lane said...

62mac said...

a laugh a minute

So what do you think Lacey, I'm keen on the Fanatic 30 wide model,flatwater only.

mac, you like your production sups i think, so yeah, i reckon thats the goer for you.

dc does have wide model 12'6 s too
cheers

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
14 Aug 2011 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

I've got two custom mct's as well

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
14 Aug 2011 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Mac, DC14 would be good for you. QLD made board, and better for touring than the 12'6. Perfect for a tourist like you! Just kidding buddy!

Lacey, where are DC at with their 14's at the moment.... I can't keep up ! What's happening on the Manta front?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2011 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Simondo said...

Mac, DC14 would be good for you. QLD made board, and better for touring than the 12'6. Perfect for a tourist like you! Just kidding buddy!

Lacey, where are DC at with their 14's at the moment.... I can't keep up ! What's happening on the Manta front?

simondo, i'm not in tune as much as i was, but dc have two models in the 14' range. one at 28" and one at 30". they have a model name but it escapes me at the moment.

mantas are good, i've still got mine. i was short of work for a bit and looked at passing up the 12'6, but managed to get through ok.

imo, if you want one board to do all- get a 14' er. its amazing what one and a half feet extra on a 12'6 makes

cheers

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
14 Aug 2011 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

babson said...

Does anyone have a comparison between the 2012 Naish and the 2012 Fanatic, speed, stability, downwind wave riding etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

That you've referred to the 2012 Naish and the 2012 Fanatic suggests that you are not talking about the Catalina or the white Fly Race, which were both 2011 boards, and to call a spade a spade, were both ultimately uncompetitive in all the categories that you've mentioned.

The 2012 red Fly Race from Fanatic is a much better board than the white one, it's faster, a better wave rider, and even though it's 3 inches narrower, it's somehow more stable. The white one is okay, but the red one is a ripper.

I don't know if anyone's seen a 2012 Naish 12'6" race board in Australia yet. I'm sure it will be vastly superior to the Catalina, which is really the red headed step child in the otherwise flawless Naish range.

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
14 Aug 2011 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Naish 2012 range, discussion, and brochure pics...
Catalina - gone! (?)...

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/Naish-2012-range/?page=1

(thanks PT)

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
14 Aug 2011 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

Simondo said...

simondo, i'm not in tune as much as i was, but dc have two models in the 14' range. one at 28" and one at 30". they have a model name but it escapes me at the moment.

mantas are good, i've still got mine. i was short of work for a bit and looked at passing up the 12'6, but managed to get through ok.

imo, if you want one board to do all- get a 14' er. its amazing what one and a half feet extra on a 12'6 makes

cheers

Yes 14 foot is a fair bit faster than 12'6, for most paddlers.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
14 Aug 2011 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Simondo said...

Naish 2012 range, discussion, and brochure pics...
Catalina - gone! (?)...

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/Naish-2012-range/?page=1

Ah yes, I went looking for the 2012 range to confirm but couldn't find it so thanks. As I suspected, the Catalina has been yanked from the range, even Naish are admitting it didn't quite hit the mark. Or at least, they've got a much better idea coming. In fact, two better ideas.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
14 Aug 2011 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Simondo said...

I'm not so sure about that anymore Simon.. PT's new little 12'6" was noticably faster than my 17 today.

DJ

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2011 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Simondo said...

I'm not so sure about that anymore Simon.. PT's new little 12'6" was noticably faster than my 17 today.

DJ

if i train on a 14 er i 'can' be with or just behind or a bit behind some of australias top paddlers when they are on 12'6s when i'm on my game

if i'm on a 12'6- no chance

cheers

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
14 Aug 2011 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Which 12'6 DJ?

Makaha
1145 posts
14 Aug 2011 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

DavidJohn said...

Simondo said...

DJ

if i train on a 14 er i 'can' be with or just behind or a bit behind some of australias top paddlers when they are on 12'6s when i'm on my game

if i'm on a 12'6- no chance

cheers

Get a 17 and smash hm up

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
14 Aug 2011 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Simondo said...

Which 12'6 DJ?

It's his 23" wide Starboard proto (EJ's old board).

Maybe I'm just slow but I'm pretty sure the board had something to do with it.

DJ

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
14 Aug 2011 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Simondo said...

Which 12'6 DJ?

DJ

No doubt, yeah the small chop today was just bumping the big board about and slowing it down whereas the skinny 12'6 was getting mini glides. Only trouble is, you can't actually stop when you're on this thing - it's like being on Cadel Evans' bike, perfectly balanced and stable, as long as you're moving quickly.

In my opinion, the 12'6 vs 14' debate comes down to the rocker on the 14'. If I see an equally skilled paddler on a 14' Glide or Open Ocean in front of me in a flattish water race, ie with no DW conditions or significant wave action, I'd back myself to run them down on my 12'6. Most 12'6 boards seem to have more water line than a 14' with DW rocker.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2011 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

DavidJohn said...

Simondo said...

Which 12'6 DJ?

DJ

No doubt, yeah the small chop today was just bumping the big board about and slowing it down whereas the skinny 12'6 was getting mini glides. Only trouble is, you can't actually stop when you're on this thing - it's like being on Cadel Evans' bike, perfectly balanced and stable, as long as you're moving quickly.

In my opinion, the 12'6 vs 14' debate comes down to the rocker on the 14'. If I see an equally skilled paddler on a 14' Glide or Open Ocean in front of me in a flattish water race, ie with no DW conditions or significant wave action, I'd back myself to run them down on my 12'6. Most 12'6 boards seem to have more water line than a 14' with DW rocker.

i'm not knocking, but the glide is really the only big rockered 14'er around?

is the new sic 14' bullet going to be classed as a big rockered board in oz- probably.

in hawaii both bullets are consider lower rockered boards. goes to show the different in conditions

nzal
17 posts
15 Aug 2011 5:37AM
Thumbs Up

Fanatic 12'6" * 27 is real nice board . Super light & fast. Not sure about downwinders , but fun surf yesterday before snow hit.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
15 Aug 2011 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

nzal said...

Fanatic 12'6" * 27 is real nice board . Super light & fast. Not sure about downwinders , but fun surf yesterday before snow hit.

So it doesn't ski well then?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
15 Aug 2011 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

babson said...

This is a hard question to answer because the new 2012 Naish 12'6" boards are still a couple of weeks off entering the country.. I'm sure speed will be similar (but speed on these boards are more about the engine).. and stability will depend alot on width (Naish have a 28" and 30").. and as far as down wind goes they are not down wind boards but they will survive a down-winder and maybe be heaps of fun in some conditions.. As far as wave riding goes they are not wave boards either.. It's more about surviving the wave for most people but still can be fun if you know what you're doing (like dogman).. It's kinda like taking a road racing pushie off road and expecting it to perform.. They are flat water race boards and designed for just that... imo..

DJ

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Compare Naish 12'6 to Fanatic 12'6" started by babson