Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Coreban River Race 2011

Created by Jappy > 9 months ago, 20 Mar 2011
Jappy
NSW, 114 posts
20 Mar 2011 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

The Cronulla Sutherland SUP Club is holding the inaugural Coreban River Race on Sunday April 3rd on the Woronora River. The registration and BBQ areas will be at Prince Edward Park, Woronora opposite the Woronora RSL Club.

Through some excellent support from local and international sponsors there will be some great prizes available to competitors on the day. Here are just a few:

Coreban 12'6 Alpha Race board (PURE)
5 nights accomodation in Bali
Solid Racks board storage systems
Kahuna Street SUP gear

Here is the official entry form. Registrations close March 25th

For more information on the Club and this event please go to www.cronullasutherlandsupclub.com.au or Peter on 0418 294 854

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
21 Mar 2011 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Should be a great day, can't wait to get into it !

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
22 Mar 2011 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Great effort by these guys to get this event up and running ,especially in the Cronulla area.

I'll be there and looking forward to it !

Boylos

pmorgan1974
NSW, 1080 posts
22 Mar 2011 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Well done for putting this together. I did not catch on the entry form how far the race is ? When does it start ?

Jappy
NSW, 114 posts
23 Mar 2011 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Full race information is also avaliable on the club website www.cronullasutherlandsupclub.com.au

Don't delay entry forms must be in by the end of this week.

pmorgan1974
NSW, 1080 posts
23 Mar 2011 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate, for those guys who enter in all the divisions. How will you space the different legs ? 12'6 race, 14 and 14 +

Jappy
NSW, 114 posts
24 Mar 2011 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone, it's not too late to get your entries in. Call me to reserve your spot ASAP. 0418 294 854.

Trophies will be awarded to the top 5 places of each division, with seperate trophies for the women in all classes etc, handicap, family.

Remember you must be there at 7.30am to register at the event.

The running order of the division races is nearly finalised.

The presentation will be at 5.00pm at the Woronora River.

Stay posted for event updates here, as well as facebook and www.cronullasutherlandsupclub.com.au

This is one SUP event that should not be missed and will remain on the calender each year.

So don't miss out on this first one. Each competitor gets a Coreban River Race 2011 limited edition t-shirt and their name goes into the competitor draw for a chance to win the main prize, a brand new Coreban 12'6" Alpha Race Pure SUP board. You must be at the presentation to claim the prize.

Heaps of other prizes too and don't forget the charity auction and raffle.

This event is bound to be the No.1 sup event in Sydney and perhaps New South Wales.

There will also be a Coreban SUP Clinic / Demo after the races, starting at 3.00pm run by Woogie and Jodie Marsh.

Hope to see you on the day, it will be fun.

Club President
Peter Japp
0418 294 854

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
24 Mar 2011 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

cant you rock up and enter on the day? Ive got a bad knee at the moment and dont want to enter unless its better
Cheers

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Mar 2011 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

cant you rock up and enter on the day? Ive got a bad knee at the moment and dont want to enter unless its better
Cheers

Hey Dan,

Pretty sure it's by pre-entry only but give Peter a call to make sure as if you're fit it should be a great day.

If not fit then the clinic should be worth the effort alone.

Sam.

Jappy
NSW, 114 posts
28 Mar 2011 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Final Draw on the club website tonight.

www.cronullasutherlandsupclub.com.au

See you all there.

pruejapp
NSW, 4 posts
30 Mar 2011 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Not long now.

tomo77
NSW, 26 posts
30 Mar 2011 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Is it really too late to enter?? C'mon.

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
31 Mar 2011 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a great event and the weather is looking good for Sunday. Pete, can you just confirm there are no entries on the day?!?!

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
2 Apr 2011 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Everything is ready to go for tomorrow.

Signs have been put up as you get closer to the location. There are 2 main parking areas on Prince Edward Park Road - one opposite the RSL Club, and one about 200 mtrs before you get to the Club. Both have good access to across/down to the registration/marshalling area.

The Club will also have a Quiver Caddy (with SUP attachments) on hand in case people need to transport multiple boards.

I saw the Coreban SUP van cruising the Shire today. Woogie Marsh and Coreban will be holding a paddle clinic from 2.30pm at the venue. Lots of good paddling tips and technique on display here, should be great.

The Woronora RSL Club will be the venue for the presentation afterwards. No need to drive it's directly across the road from the park. They have a function room which we will be utilising for the awards, trophies, raffles, and competitor draw. There is also a Chinese restaurant within the Club which is very family/kid friendly. This presentation will take place from 5pm, which coincides nicely with happy hour from 5.30pm until 7pm!

Forecast is favourable, so good luck competitors, see you bright and early!

p.s any last minute queries that haven't been addressed please call Club President Peter Japp direct on 0418 294854

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
3 Apr 2011 12:37AM
Thumbs Up

Lots of pics please.. and good luck guys and gals..

It will be interesting to see if any board is faster than the Jav..

DJ

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
3 Apr 2011 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Any results through yet?

DJ

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
3 Apr 2011 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

unreal how you guys answered my and kissa question regarding entry on the day thanks heaps?
hope you had a big turn out regardless

JB Mel
QLD, 297 posts
3 Apr 2011 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Peter 'Bruno' Meyer, winner of the 14'1" open mens SUP division sporting one of his prizes: fashion statement of the year!

Yellow Terry towelling shorts

Second place in this division Peter Japp

I only know some of the results but here is what I recall - it was a long day and I consumed a few beers before the presentation so this is more from memory of the line crossings rather than the actual presentation!

14 foot
1 - Andy Davies
2 - Sam Parker
3 - Jason McManus
4 - Melissa McManus
5 - Bernie White
6 - Adam Weslan

12'6'
1 - Andy Davies
2 - Sam Parker
3 - Lovely bloke but can't remember his name! - his first ever race too!
4 - Stuart Murray
5 - Casso
6 - Melissa McManus
7 - Bernie White

12'6" Le Mans
1 - Andy Davies
2 - Woogie Marsh
3 - Stuart Murray

Family Challenge
1 - Cassidy team
2 - Chandler
3 - Japp

Handicap
1 - Stuart Murray
2 - Casso

Most divisions had about a dozen entries I think and there were 16 in the 12'6. Apologies if I got any of these wrong and for those who's names/placings I can't remember.

As you can see by the results Andy Davies had a blinder but it was the Cassidys that were the big winners taking home the Kahuna street sup in the raffle and the Coreban board in the lucky draw!!!!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
4 Apr 2011 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mel.

DJ

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
4 Apr 2011 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

What a great day ,and full credit to Jappy and the team for putting on a great event .

Big thanks to Coreban and the other sponsors ,lets hope they all come back next year .

First time I've meet Woogie ,top bloke and thanks for the advice and tips the kids and I really enjoyed your coaching clinic .

Boylos

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
4 Apr 2011 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Congrats to Madison for winning the new Coreban 12'6" Alpha Race board.. What a great board to win.. .. I'm sure we'd all love to win one of those..

Sorry about the slightly fuzzy pic.. Someone should teach your Dad how to use a camera..

DJ

surfanimal
NSW, 1643 posts
4 Apr 2011 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

DJ

Well, I've never seen anything as fast as the DC that one the 14's.....seriously, the guy had wings and beat Sam by a good 20 metres which is no mean feat !

Here's some photo's I took of the day that I thought you might enjoy.

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
4 Apr 2011 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Great shots Chris! Early morning on the river looked great on a crisp morning. No daylight savings helped for sure...There was some fast competitors on the day and it was great to see everyone sharing the stoke before, during, and after the races.

The Casso family scored big too with Madison winning the 12'6 Coreban Alpha, and dad taking home the Kahuna Hydro longboard and big stick !

Massive shout out to everyone on the day especially the volunteers who were there at 5.30am to get everything set up. Woogie was very keen on an early start getting there at 4.30am hmmm....
We also had some long distance competitors Jason and Mel from Jervis Bay SUP.

More to come...

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
4 Apr 2011 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

hey Mel 3rd in the 12'6 was Steve Floyd.

Suplove
NSW, 201 posts
4 Apr 2011 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Wow what a great crowd and a thoroughly proffessionally run event.

Big wrap to the organisers, Cronulla/Sutherland SUP Club.

Awesome day of racing and fun.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
4 Apr 2011 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Looked like a fun day! Great shots Surfanimals.

Hey Casso....are you going to lend your mates the 12'6" occassionally

bigmc
NSW, 250 posts
4 Apr 2011 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Big thanks to Jappy for getting the day up and running. Quite a lot or work goes into these events ... as I have learnt. Another big thanks to Woogie from Coreban for their support and that fantastic 12'5" Alpha Race. Plus the paddle clinic afterwards was an eye opener. So many movements coming together correctly to make an efficient paddle stroke. I think I would need a personal coach on a full time basis for a year and then more. Woogie is a master. Also thanks to the Northern Beaches guys that travelled down and the Husky crew that came up the coast. All of you guys really power in the water. A great day for everybody.

Also Pete Meyer, I have the bright red towelling S/S hoodie top and yellow hat to go with those stylish yellow shorts if you happen to need them. would complete a nice outfit for race days.

cheers all

pruejapp
NSW, 4 posts
4 Apr 2011 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All

My husband, Peter Japp, will have all the results posted here and on the club website very soon.

I must say he did a fanstatic job, and I am very proud of him.

Next year will be even better.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
4 Apr 2011 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

surfanimals said...

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said...

DJ

Well, I've never seen anything as fast as the DC that one the 14's.....seriously, the guy had wings and beat Sam by a good 20 metres which is no mean feat !

hey, that used to be my board, andy loves the thing. however i was lucky enough to get the 15' from kelly which i lent to travis for the malfunction race which he won on.
the 15' is a seriously fast board that gives no wake for other paddlers to tailgate on to. agruably one of the fastest board in oz despite actually have a decent rocker in there. thinking about retro fitting some steering. btw its 25.5' wide. the 14' is 24.5"
cheers

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
4 Apr 2011 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

surfanimals said...

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said...

DJ

hey, that used to be my board, andy loves the thing. however i was lucky enough to get the 15' from kelly which i lent to travis for the malfunction race which he won on.
the 15' is a seriously fast board that gives no wake for other paddlers to tailgate on to. agruably one of the fastest board in oz despite actually have a decent rocker in there. thinking about retro fitting some steering. btw its 25.5' wide. the 14' is 24.5"
cheers

Yep, god help any of them down there now Andy has the Waxed Banana, Red Rocket. I had it for a while as well, fastest board on the flat ever. Too much for me to handle in the bumps though. Andy is a bit lighter / more skilled than me though, if you thought he was fast before........

surfanimal
NSW, 1643 posts
4 Apr 2011 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

pruejapp said...

Hi All

My husband, Peter Japp, will have all the results posted here and on the club website very soon.

I must say he did a fanstatic job, and I am very proud of him.

Next year will be even better.

Can only agree Prue. He did a great job and seriously loves it too.

It'll be better next year I'm sure.....cause I'll win.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Coreban River Race 2011" started by Jappy