Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

DC or JM 12'6" x 30?

Created by n8wx > 9 months ago, 29 Jan 2012
n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
29 Jan 2012 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

So I've demoed the DC and think it's a great board however each time I see the JM it sucks me in... I can't demo the the JM and have the chance to buy 1 so now I'm tossing up which to get my head is spinning.

This will be my 1st 12'6 to be used for fitness, BOP & club races, some small surf and DWs... My main requirement is stability and I know the DC has this. not sure on the JM from what I've seen it looks quite stable...

Anyone tried both boards or have advise on which to pick here based on the above general requirements would be great.

Even the colours are the same...

Thanks.

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
29 Jan 2012 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Where are you?

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
29 Jan 2012 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

NSW / Cronulla.

Boards are same $ and avail in stores. I just need to decide...

BomberBrown
QLD, 69 posts
29 Jan 2012 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Both boards are really good and l dont thick u would go wrong with either.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Jan 2012 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

there would be bugger all in it imo. dc would be a bit lighter, the jm tougher by a bit. thats not saying the dc is fragile. dale and his worker are doing great glassing jobs.

these boards are pretty close to home for me, comes down to personal preference really

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
29 Jan 2012 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Managed to measure the JM 12'6 next door - 12.6kg
DC 12'6 x 30" I have here is 11.4kg
I hope that helps

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
29 Jan 2012 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

And remember you can get a locallaly made JM weighing in at 10 or less kg's

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
29 Jan 2012 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

I have no idea but I guess I will know when your out in the bay surf, you will be on the blue board

Good luck

(PS unless you are big like me I havent paddled it but I like the JM and if you are big like me, then, and I have paddled it the DC)

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
29 Jan 2012 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

I've paddled both and IMO the JM is more stable out of the two.

DJ

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
29 Jan 2012 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Personal I would go the DC he has made heaps and heaps of down wind Stand up boards/bop style boards and has a proven track record at the moment ... Though from the pics the JM looks really good shape also and the guys a freak so I'm sure he put the sup through the paces and has a great product... But I havnt seen one first hand and have seen heaps of DC and like the boards... Just my thoughts...
Oh the old 12'6 fanatic by 30 is a good board to maybe through that in the mix

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
29 Jan 2012 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

DJ

Here we go again..

Just wondering why the red thumbs? .. A question was asked about these two boards with stability being the main concern.

Those who have paddled both feel free to comment.. I for one would also be interested in hearing what others think.

To those who haven't paddled both.. Why is there a need to red thumb someone because they go to the trouble to help someone with their question?

It's one sure way to stop people contributing here.

DJ

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Jan 2012 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

DavidJohn said...

DJ

Here we go again..

Just wondering why the red thumbs? .. A question was asked about these two boards with stability being the main concern.

Those who have paddled both feel free to comment.. I for one would also be interested in hearing what others think.

To those who haven't paddled both.. Why is there a need to red thumb someone because they go to the trouble to help someone with their question?

It's one sure way to stop people contributing here.

DJ

its dickerless

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
29 Jan 2012 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

DJ, brand loyalty and Aussie Made factor, I'm guessing. Nothing personal (I don't think).

Here's a fire starter... I think the 404 is actually better than them both. I know why this design is superior. There's 2 secrets to this board, and I can't tell you. It's bleeding obvious though if you sit back over a few beers, and mull it over, and mull it over again.

They are even due for EvolutionII of this board. I paddled an EvolutionII Prototype today, and I was the most impressed I have ever been on a board! And that is saying something.

So to answer your original question. A 404 !
404basecamp.com/
404basecamp.com/?page_id=2
Look out boys, the range in growing!!! Big time !!

(I said fire starter didn't I ! )

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
29 Jan 2012 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

So if your on the Goldy, we have crew paddling all sorts so come on down to Currumbin and give us a yell. Even C4 and Starboard are coming on board(sic) now.
So hopefully we can always give an accurate assessment.

ockanui
VIC, 1301 posts
29 Jan 2012 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Just bought the 14ft JM yesterday.. slept with it last night...mmm a very good look'n board, took it out this morning in calm conditions very stable and quick, cant wait to put it to the test in a D/W,
I think I'm in love..

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
29 Jan 2012 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

That's gold Ock! I understand that was one of the very few Jamie 14's available... Sitting on a rack (well lying in Ock's bed now!)... I think most others are on back order?

404 - 14 LTD is faster though!
404basecamp.com/?page_id=338

Gassa
QLD, 272 posts
29 Jan 2012 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

DC

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
29 Jan 2012 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Both QLD influenced you can't go wrong

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
29 Jan 2012 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Simondo said...

Here's a fire starter... I think the 404 is actually better than them both.

Kind of moot if they're not here...are they here?

rahams
NSW, 544 posts
29 Jan 2012 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

imo you have to put the deep in the mix as well

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Jan 2012 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

HumanCartoon said...

Simondo said...

Here's a fire starter... I think the 404 is actually better than them both.

Kind of moot if they're not here...are they here?

now simondo, just because arguably the worlds best paddler is on them and he makes them doesn't mean their the best. i know of two paddlers that didn't like them.

kelly was paddling a 10 and 1/2 ft old mal style sup for a bit and was still in front, but nobody rushed off to the second hand shops trying find one

until i have a go on one i wouldn't be making any calls and neither should you unless you have been one and your not telling us.

ps they well might be the ducks nuts but at present it doesn't like like they are going to be here anytime soon

cheers

ps 1/2 a second in front of jm in that us race, didn't see any ultra speed difference there
pps just putting out the fire

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
29 Jan 2012 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

n8wx where abouts are you located?

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
29 Jan 2012 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback I agree these are both great boards it's very hard to pick 1 over the other based on board / brand alone. I'm going to base my decision on other factors which will in-turn benefit the sessions I have on the board...

Thanks.

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
29 Jan 2012 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

husq2100 said...

n8wx where abouts are you located?

NSW

DavidJohn
VIC, 17461 posts
29 Jan 2012 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

ockanui said...

Just bought the 14ft JM yesterday.. slept with it last night...mmm a very good look'n board, took it out this morning in calm conditions very stable and quick, cant wait to put it to the test in a D/W,
I think I'm in love..

Congrats Mike.. I was in there today wondering where it was or who bought it.. I know of someone else that was very keen on buying it.

Can't wait for our next DW'er..

DJ

rahams
NSW, 544 posts
29 Jan 2012 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

its like the old ford vs holden thing.
really not alot of difference but worlds apart

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Jan 2012 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

rahams said...

its like the old ford vs holden thing.
really not alot of difference but worlds apart

if its like that then the get the_______________

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
29 Jan 2012 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

It's a coin toss situation...

I always revert to the coin toss in tricky ones like this and have based some of lifes most important decisions on heads or tails.

It did let me down once though, told me to chase the big boobed Gold Coast girl rather than the cool surfer Californian girl. I'm sure that coin was faulty!! Hahah.

Solo
QLD, 19 posts
29 Jan 2012 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

The fact that Danny beat Jamie by 0.5sec certainly doesn't support the argument that the 404 is necessarily a superior board, particularly when one considers Jamie's lack of preparation and fatigue after chasing 5mtr swells from Hawaii to Mav's and onto Todos.

I can't comment on Danny's prep. and no disrespect but unless he had some outrigger commitments I'm certain he would have been there with his A-game as that is pretty much his job. Obviously the 404's are great boards but the question was regarding the JM and the DC.

n8wx, disregard the crap and focus on those offering their humble experiences. Good luck.

Flaker
NSW, 122 posts
29 Jan 2012 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Without hijacking this thread tooooo much
- I am also looking at these two boards plus also the new 12'6 x 30 naish glide. Could somebody rate its stabilty compared to the other two.

DJ, I think you may be the man for this one!

DavidJohn said...

DJ

n8wx
NSW, 253 posts
29 Jan 2012 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thats cool I tried the new glide today and it's a sweet board didn't think it was as stable as the DC. It would be 3rd on my list of available boards...

Flaker said...

Without hijacking this thread tooooo much
- I am also looking at these two boards plus also the new 12'6 x 30 naish glide. Could somebody rate its stabilty compared to the other two.

DJ, I think you may be the man for this one!

DavidJohn said...

DJ

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"DC or JM 12'6" x 30?" started by n8wx