Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Help me out re snaking

Created by Legion > 9 months ago, 23 Feb 2010
doggie
WA, 15849 posts
24 Feb 2010 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Brooko said...

Checked out your thread doggie some sick waves over there.
Al byrne does the best channels, he came over and surfed solid Margarets main break a couple of years ago, charged it for an old fella . He does all my mates boards!

Mate he is a funny fella, that board is so good had a ball on it up in Indo. Ive seen sum footage of him out at Sunset, great style

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
24 Feb 2010 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Just Wrong said...

Legion said...

What if a crew of tow surfers turned up at your break and started taking all the sets because they could? They'd have an advantage over you and the mals and the shortboards and the boogers. Would that scare you?

Legion, if they showed up and towed then it be hopeful that it would be big enough to justify towing. If it 8ft plus, then hell no wouldn't bother me at all. If it was 4ft then hell yeah it would.

What about this kook? Recognise the style?

Towing in on a 3-4' day, look how deep he is. The others stand no chance at all. What if there were a few like that out wherever you went every day?

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
24 Feb 2010 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Rosscoe said...

I've been surfing short boards for 45 years, and still do (although by your definition that automatically makes me a kook

I said "usually". There are certainly exceptions, but in general people seem to either give it up, regress to another craft, or take up a less demanding sport. Paddling and handling a shortboard isn't easy, for sure. You may well be one of those exceptions, I don't know. I'd say it's a fairly safe generalisation though.

Rosscoe said...

I'm still not sure what you meant by wanting to understanding SUP "mentality", or what we are "thinking" and don't see that it is going to make any difference to you Legion. I think those that called you out on the purpose of your post are right, because from your responses it seems pretty obvious that it doesn't matter what anyone says, you aren't going to countenance that there is any place on your little world for SUP's and you are going to keep your distance, no matter what.

No, I'm obviously not going to change my opinion (in the foreseeable future). The original post (from which we've obviously significantly diverted) was when is a shortboarder snaking, given a SUP can pick up a wave way earlier, way further out, before it even becomes a wave. I wanted to know what you guys think. E.g. if you all thought someone was snaking you'd be inclined to mercilessly drop in and take every wave (I know I would if a shortboarder did it to me). But it's a grey area, like someone said. Further to my point, here's one of the original images I posted, and another in the sequence by the look of it:

Is this a drop in or a snake? What if the SUP was on the wave first?

On the contrary to what you all think, I'm genuinely interested and I wouldn't want to promote animosity in the water. So how to resolve situations like the above? If I was the SUP I wouldn't want to drop in (personally), and I consider that the shortboarder's wave. However, I would hate to think I was considered a snake by the SUP.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
24 Feb 2010 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

Get over it and maybe legion if you spent more time out in the surf you would be more cabable of getting waves of sups on your shortboard and wouldnt have to bitch about them on a sup internet forum of all places!

Not bitching and I do alright thanks. Like doggie said, if there was a pack of SUPs it becomes a very sketchy place to paddle out on a shortboard.

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
25 Feb 2010 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Legion, we all agree if you get 3 or 4 SUP's out on a good day and they decide to be hogs they could dominate a spot easily. You don't need to keep posting possible examples/scenarios. Lets just hope this doesn't happen and the SUP guys know better.

BUT.....

Most on here as far as I know will do their best to keep the peace in a line-up and let the fair share of waves go through. You are lucky IMO as most on here will over time influence others new to SUP surfing and do their best to educate them on how it should be. Also, the retailers selling SUP support this forum as well so newbies are likely to check it out. There's no better place to get info and learn how it should be done.

The people I would be scared of are the angry older dudes that have surfed a bit and never got that many waves in a session. They won't be on Seabreeze and will have "pay back" on their mind when in the surf. IMO they will stick to the lesser breaks though as they will still get dominated at quality breaks. Maybe I'm stereo typing here but I could imaging this happening.

Myself and a couple others I surf with will try to be the first in the water (dawn) and choose the second best bank. If prone guys choose to paddle out it's there choice. We'll still get plenty of waves but still let everyone else get their share. I think this is the "mentality" of the majority here.

Doggie, I followed your Mentawii's trip and was stoked for you. Thanks for a good thread. I'll be taking the SUP and shorty to indo or somewhere this year, don't know how much I'll use the shorty though. Will probably be a back up if I snap the SUP in a Hideaways keg.

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
25 Feb 2010 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Legion, in your pic above the shortboarder definately has the wave.
Provided he is going to make that section the SUP should pull off, which it looks like he did.

If it was doubtful the shorty was going to make the section then keep surfing, and if he does
then the SUP should get out of there.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
25 Feb 2010 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Great thread and I'm really impreesed how it never turned to sh!t but it's running out of juice.

You are totally focused on the newbies into sup which is a valid point but you really have ignored the ability experienced riders I think you are underestimating what can be pulled off on a Sup.

Rob

pmorgan1974
NSW, 1080 posts
25 Feb 2010 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Legion said...
I said "usually". There are certainly exceptions, but in general people seem to either give it up, regress to another craft, or take up a less demanding sport. Paddling and handling a shortboard isn't easy, for sure. You may well be one of those exceptions, I don't know. I'd say it's a fairly safe generalisation though.

This one is a corker. All I can say Legion is generalisations are generally not safe. I have surfed a short board all my surfing life, I have found that in the last 2 years SUP to do nothing but benefit my performance on my shorty. Not to mention my health and fitness.

I find your fear of SUP becoming popular a little elitist and not in keeping with the moral code of the ocean that all people on all forms of craft have equal right to be there.

In regards to the main point of this topic..snaking. The way I see it you have the people who respect others in the water, and the people who don't. Who ever is closest to the curl has right of way is the age old rule.

Although in my opinion manners in the water need to underpin it all whatever your riding, and what ever ability you ride it. Manners "a socially acceptable way of behaving"

And in all honesty I wish people would stop categorising. The culture of surfing came out of a passion to live outside the box, to buck the society that just wants to pigeon hole you into one thing or another.

Shortboard, Mal, SUP I will ride all of these....Just because someone rides a 6 foot board does not make them less of a surfer than someone who rides a 11 foot SUB.

So I think we need to let go of the bullsh_t tags and just enjoy the ocean with common sense and manners, accepting that on all form of craft there will be the occasional kook that we need to pull into line.

I'm done...

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
25 Feb 2010 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

pmorgan1974 said...
I have surfed a short board all my surfing life, I have found that in the last 2 years SUP to do nothing but benefit my performance on my shorty. Not to mention my health and fitness.

Totally agree on the positive benefit of SUP surfing on your shortboard surfing-most of the pros on the tour SUP nowadays-no doubt for fitness as well as fun.

Salatiela
NSW, 378 posts
25 Feb 2010 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Morning,

I spent a good portion of last nite reading all the comments you've posted and have just arrived back from a 3hour soild session at the 'pass' and i have to thank you all for info and insight for a sudo-supper

Had the best time and felt as though i knew where to paddle and most importantly 'Why' so to all - thanks.

happy paddles,

sal.

Diver
WA, 554 posts
25 Feb 2010 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Finger pointing and labelling particular groups as elitist is counterproductive.

SUP riders are no more elitist than any other group and provided that we all observe the basic surfing code;
- Rule 1 First on the wave - its yours
- Rule 2 don't drop in
- Rule 3 see rules 1 and 2 - then it shouldn't be such hard work.

The guys that want to snake know exactly what they are doing and are trying to bend the rules in their favour.

Look at each incident on its merits. If the rider suddenly on the inside is one of the hard bitten crew that goes for everything then you can be sure that they knew that you were on the wave - snaking. Or, if it is a rider that is all arms and not too stable keep on the wave but also keep a watch out for what they are doing - will most probably fall off anyway.

As for a "regression" from short boards to SUP, I'm not sure about that.

If anything I reckon that I have progressed whilst on a SUP. I am out surfing and enjoying it a lot more as well as doing something that is healthy. I would call that a backwards step.

daletor
VIC, 301 posts
25 Feb 2010 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

mikeman said...

Rosscoe said...

I was enjoying this thread but I think it has gone full circle now.

Mikeman said....
This is probably a good place to end this thread, don't you think?

YEP

Th0m0
QLD, 529 posts
25 Feb 2010 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

pmorgan1974 said...

Legion said...

This one is a corker. All I can say Legion is generalisations are generally not safe. I have surfed a short board all my surfing life, I have found that in the last 2 years SUP to do nothing but benefit my performance on my shorty. Not to mention my health and fitness.

I find your fear of SUP becoming popular a little elitist and not in keeping with the moral code of the ocean that all people on all forms of craft have equal right to be there.

In regards to the main point of this topic..snaking. The way I see it you have the people who respect others in the water, and the people who don't. Who ever is closest to the curl has right of way is the age old rule.

Although in my opinion manners in the water need to underpin it all whatever your riding, and what ever ability you ride it. Manners "a socially acceptable way of behaving"

And in all honesty I wish people would stop categorising. The culture of surfing came out of a passion to live outside the box, to buck the society that just wants to pigeon hole you into one thing or another.

Shortboard, Mal, SUP I will ride all of these....Just because someone rides a 6 foot board does not make them less of a surfer than someone who rides a 11 foot SUB.

So I think we need to let go of the bullsh_t tags and just enjoy the ocean with common sense and manners, accepting that on all form of craft there will be the occasional kook that we need to pull into line.

I'm done...

Top Post!!
There has been a number of good posts in this thread but this one sums it up for me. All this crap about giving and earning respect for peoples surfing ability means nothing unless they have the manners to go with it.

Brooko
1672 posts
25 Feb 2010 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Doggie & Legion you guys have had some valid points and i understand totally where your coming from.

I have surfed with some of the guys who have commented on here and can vouch for them they are surfers and know there ****.

The way i see it is a kook is a kook is a kook no matter what he is riding

The boys who will charge on a sub are normally lads from a shortboard background and wont be dropping in, letting there board go etc. There art subs charging out pipe now with all full respect from the wolf pack, some members ride both.

I think your boys beef is with your newbie on an 11 6" who has not done a grommet hood or surfing apprenticeship, they piss us off big time as well.

Nice pics Rob.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
25 Feb 2010 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Brooko said...

Doggie & Legion you guys have had some valid points and i understand totally where your coming from.

I have surfed with some of the guys who have commented on here and can vouch for them they are surfers and know there ****.

The boys who will charge on a sub are normally lads from a shortboard background and wont be dropping in, letting there board go etc. There art subs charging out pipe now with all full respect from the wolf pack, some members ride both.

I think your boys beef is with your newbie on an 11 6" who has not done a grommet hood or surfing apprenticeship, they piss us off big time as well.

Nice pics Rob.

Must be heaps of kooks in WA then, sorta got away from the snake argument tho

Brooko
1672 posts
25 Feb 2010 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

doggie said...

Brooko said...

Nice pics Rob.

Doggie, see i dont think your gunna see too many kooks out at 5 ft mainbreak or Grunters or Boodji etc , these are the type of waves I surf, so i dont really get the point 4 to 6 ft Gas even shuts down fools and kooks on a 6 2".

A kook is a kook is a kook no matter what they are riding

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
25 Feb 2010 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Brooko said...

doggie said...

Brooko said...

Nice pics Rob.

Doggie, see i dont think your gunna see too many kooks out at 5 ft mainbreak or Grunters or Boodji etc , these are the type of waves I surf, so i dont really get the point 4 to 6 ft Gas even shuts down fools and kooks on a 6 2".

A kook is a kook is a kook no matter what they are riding

Na the only prob normally and its not really an issue for me, is down at local beachies ect, paddles going in all directions and massive boards bouncing around in the foam ect. And I dont surf near them anyway.
I personally dont have a problem with what people ride but I also see that alot of people are from QLD or NSW, bigger population ect and the pictures that have been posted have had some wicked shots.
I think Legion has given up so Im sole shortboarder here now.
At the end of the day we are or were talking about snaking and in my experence Ive only seen one SUPer do it, he was good at what he was doing, very skilled but he also had some close calls that day.
At the end of the day I have more problems with other shortboarder snaking me, and that does sh!t me.
Lets kill this its giving me a headache

daletor
VIC, 301 posts
25 Feb 2010 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

daletor said...

mikeman said...

Rosscoe said...

I was enjoying this thread but I think it has gone full circle now.

Mikeman said....
This is probably a good place to end this thread, don't you think?

YEP

YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP YEP

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
26 Feb 2010 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

'Struth almighty. I've just spent half an hour reading through it all and you want to pull the pin!

I've started SUPing after over 4 years off a board completely with a bad back, and 7 years since I surfed properly. I used to be pretty biased towards shortboarding, enjoying fast and/or serious waves and the company of good surfers in the water. The bad back made me take up bodysurfing to stay sane, and suddenly I slid down the snake from the top rung to the bottom of the food chain. I couldn't wear fins as they hurt my back, so the disadvantage was complete - bodysurfing au naturale. I became alright at it, I could make a few barrels at Bird Rock and bodysurf Bells up to a solid 5 ft without losing my nerve at the amount of water moving around. And it gave me a completely different perspective on the privelege of surfing.

The most interesting thing I found through my years in surf board exile was that there are very few true watermen (or women) out there. I'd get the "what happened, mate - lost your board?" comment from some, while others just couldn't believe that you were out there in the first place. I can count the number of waves I've had given to me on one hand - every craft on average are as greedy as the next, with notable exceptions as individuals. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of people out there who innately understand the joy of the ocean, understand that to become truly competent in whatever dance you choose you need to pay your dues, and understand that we are all so lucky to be able to be out there in the first place.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
25 Feb 2010 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Tang said...

understand that to become truly competent in whatever dance you choose you need to pay your dues, and understand that we are all so lucky to be able to be out there in the first place.

Hear hear!! well said

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Help me out re snaking" started by Legion