Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Huge Flood relief Paddle - please read!!!!!!

Created by paul.j > 9 months ago, 30 Jan 2011
Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
6 Feb 2011 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

145. Thats insane. Well done Jacko and everyone who helped out and paddled. Nice one.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
6 Feb 2011 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

WoW awesome effort 145 Ks thats just insane.Isnt it great to see people come togeather to help others.If there is one good thing to come out of this wild weather its the fact we need each other , so its best to getalongCongradulations to the organizers it will be great to see how much was raised.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
6 Feb 2011 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Well said,at one stage they announced 200 paddles had registered and then there were more
It was a feel good moment when they finished the 24 hours,not sure the paddler feel so good right now.
Did anyone see them come to shore,I just missed it.They should have been chaired out of the water

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
6 Feb 2011 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

Well said,at one stage they announced 200 paddles had registered and then there were more
It was a feel good moment when they finished the 24 hours,not sure the paddler feel so good right now.
Did anyone see them come to shore,I just missed it.They should have been chaired out of the water

Spewin i couldnt be there for the finish , id say they are catching a few Z,s Lol.I woke up sore thismorning and i only done three hours.Just finished reading the rag and the photos of people who have lost everything , must be devastating to say the least.Its positive to say its only material things , but those material things you spend a lifetime to aquire. to see them vanish , well i just couldnt comprehend it.

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
6 Feb 2011 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, all I have to say is Thank You!! As without u all we wouldn't have raised approx $12000.00!!! Thank u so much to all sponsors and the people that helped out over the time. The girls at the rego table, u rock!! I hope everyone had a great time. There is now talk of making this annual thing for a charity. I must say the world is a better place with all you stand up paddlers! Jacko is now laying in aircon bedroom and rolling around in cramping pain lol. Also great effort by all teams and single paddlers. Some crew managed up to 15 hrs the paddling!! Great! I'm sure pics will come soon. The finish was so cool the pics will be unreal. Big thanks to some of the guys during my big night time 6hr shift, like treetea and Chriso. Also how cool was it paddling Currumbin at night with flood lighting? So cool! Once again massive thanks to all u guys! We can organize it but we need u guys to raise the $. I'm off to sleep after 14hrs of paddling I'm stuffed! Xx Angie

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
6 Feb 2011 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Great job guys.. and gals.. How's Jacko's hands?

DJ

CLOG
42 posts
6 Feb 2011 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

A few small blisters (not too bad considering the distance he travelled - almost the Molokai Channel x 3)
Very proud to say I'm a Queenslander when you see the turnout and generosity of the people over the 24 hours

Flounder
QLD, 137 posts
6 Feb 2011 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome event! Fantastic vibe and so fun!
How good was the effort of the 3 24hr guys?
I paddle with Tim nearly every day and I think the longest he's paddled before this in one go is about 2 and a half hours! He's too quiet and humble to talk about it, but his motivation for doing this paddle came mainly from the fact that he had his house, his parents house and a lot of his friends houses all damaged by the floods. I was so surprised that he put his hand up to do this but not at all surprised that he finished so well. Heart as big as Phar Lap!
Congrats to Paul and Ange for putting this all together!

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
6 Feb 2011 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

dont forget the Mitchell's

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
6 Feb 2011 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Well done to everyone who paddled - especially Jacko. Massive effort.

$12,000 is fantastic.

Can't wait to see the photos.

rowdyrowdy
QLD, 31 posts
6 Feb 2011 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Pics of JM taking some paddlers out in his OC4.....

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Feb 2011 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

rowdyrowdy said...

Pics of JM taking some paddlers out in his OC4.....

thxs rowdy, watching jamie paddle a sup is awesome to watch- precision and power

rowdyrowdy
QLD, 31 posts
6 Feb 2011 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Here is at Pic of the lead pack at the 20hr mark for Jacko and Kelly....
They are easily staying with a fresh JM and Matt in the green is flying

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
7 Feb 2011 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Here is a link to some photo's on the Gold Coast Bulletin website

www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/nocookies?a=A.flavipes

Great weekend, well done to all who organised and participated. It was a great family environment.

Piros
QLD, 6929 posts
7 Feb 2011 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

An amazing event put together in just a short space of time, very proud to be part of it and in absolute awe of the guys that paddled the 24hrs, some said it wasn't possible. Plus a really big effort from the girls Angie , Ali & Jen for doing around 12 & 13 hours and Lacey was around that time as well.

I got on the water at the 20 hour mark and could barely stay on Jacko's wake on the up wind leg, these guys were motoring Jacko never touched land the whole 24 hours.

Kelly knocked down a Corona every hour for the first 12 hours and finished with 4 more in the last 2 hours ...Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi champion effort.

Tim's paddle was an amazing effort alone for most of the time he just stayed in the zone and kept the constant rhythm even against the wind and tide as it barrelled down the river.

There was raffle draw every hour, so much cool stuff was donated for the raffle. This has to be an annual event, it was such a great sight driving over the bridge looking down on to the water and seeing all these Sups in one place.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
7 Feb 2011 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant effort by everyone involved - Jacko's 145km is unbelievable, 24 hours is mad!!

I am assuming we can still use the following to support the event:

Account Name: Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal
BSB 064 013
Account Number: 1000 6800
use this as the reference number: TF/11/995

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
7 Feb 2011 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

A small article from today's Gold Coast Bulletin:

munro66
QLD, 3 posts
7 Feb 2011 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Awsome effort by those who organised and ran the event, and Paul J and Kelly are freaks, paddling 24Hrs and looking fresh at the end.
It was great to be a part of the event and see the SUP family coming together to support a good cause, more marathon events will be on the calander for sure.
Well done to all that participated both paddling and support.

SupRookie
QLD, 24 posts
7 Feb 2011 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Outstanding effort guys!! It really was an awesome sight

froggo
QLD, 127 posts
7 Feb 2011 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

.......and made the local 6 oclock news. Great effort and well done to all involved!

Cheers Froggo

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
7 Feb 2011 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

An amazing event put together in just a short space of time, very proud to be part of it and in absolute awe of the guys that paddled the 24hrs, some said it wasn't possible. Plus a really big effort from the girls Angie , Ali & Jen for doing around 12 & 13 hours and Lacey was around that time as well.

I got on the water at the 20 hour mark and could barely stay on Jacko's wake on the up wind leg, these guys were motoring Jacko never touched land the whole 24 hours.

Kelly knocked down a Corona every hour for the first 12 hours and finished with 4 more in the last 2 hours ...Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi champion effort.

Tim's paddle was an amazing effort alone for most of the time he just stayed in the zone and kept the constant rhythm even against the wind and tide as it barrelled down the river.

There was raffle draw every hour, so much cool stuff was donated for the raffle. This has to be an annual event, it was such a great sight driving over the bridge looking down on to the water and seeing all these Sups in one place.

nice wrap up Rob
You guys and girls are great, super stuff great to see such effort put in by all cant wait to hear the full wrap up and photos

wazza66
QLD, 609 posts
7 Feb 2011 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Here are a few shots from Sunday taken by the Mrs.

Piros
QLD, 6929 posts
7 Feb 2011 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Great shots Wazza props to Sandi for the nice pics , love the one of Kelly lean mean Corona drinking machine who was that lazy bastard on the one man canoe ?

wazza66
QLD, 609 posts
7 Feb 2011 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

A few more.....

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
7 Feb 2011 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Great photo's wazza,Piros there were so many people hunting down boards and paddles and that was a awesome looking OC you were on.So many people wanting to get out on the water.

Did anyone get any night shots

Piros
QLD, 6929 posts
7 Feb 2011 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

These were the real hero's of the day the SUPSA Blue team "Victory or Death"24 hour Stallions

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
7 Feb 2011 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

check out dale on the young fella's paddle board

hey mac, wazza etc, sorry i didn't know it was you guys in the water. i must have been in a bit a paddling daze. i'm looking and just thinking who is it, well i'll just say hi back and play along

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
8 Feb 2011 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

A huge thank you to all of those who helped out with the Red and Blue teams...and also to all of those individual paddlers/helpers who simply turned up and got involved.

It was an absolute pleasure to be part of this charity event. The community spirit displayed and compassion showed to those that have suffered in these floods has been amazing.

Let's make this an annual charity event, with all of the funds raised again going to the charity concerned. If we managed to get so much support with less than a week to put this one together can you imagine what we could do with more planning?

Has anyone got anymore pictures?

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
8 Feb 2011 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

mikeman said...

A huge thank you to all of those who helped out with the Red and Blue teams...and also to all of those individual paddlers/helpers who simply turned up and got involved.

It was an absolute pleasure to be part of this charity event. The community spirit displayed and compassion showed to those that have suffered in these floods has been amazing.

Let's make this an annual charity event, with all of the funds raised again going to the charity concerned. If we managed to get so much support with less than a week to put this one together can you imagine what we could do with more planning?

Has anyone got anymore pictures?

Thanks to you also Mike for organizing the 2 teams. I was stoked to be involved, was not around in daylight much to ruin your photo above though which is lucky for you guys.

Looking forward to the next one. There are plenty of charities, disasters and people in need to choose from. This paddle has shown that people want to be selfless and nice to others. It's great that something like this lets people show it.

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
8 Feb 2011 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

CMC said...

I was stoked to be involved, was not around in daylight much to ruin your photo above though which is lucky for you guys.

Looking forward to the next one. There are plenty of charities, disasters and people in need to choose from. This paddle has shown that people want to be selfless and nice to others. It's great that something like this lets people show it.

We really appreciated what you and a lot of the outrigger crew did. Many of the Outriggers competed at the sprint championships during the day and helped out with this fundraiser at night. There were a big crew there late on Saturday night. Many big names who were not too big to help out. Big effort...big heart...big thank you.

There are so many stories like this that are still to be told. If anyone is interested we can throw a few in. They are truely inspirational.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Huge Flood relief Paddle - please read!!!!!!" started by paul.j