Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Huge Flood relief Paddle - please read!!!!!!

Created by paul.j > 9 months ago, 30 Jan 2011
Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
8 Feb 2011 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

I have a story. Bear with me while I paint the picture.

My young bloke (age 13) came along and camped out with me. He was in our team and started paddling the weekend on his clubbie mal (there is a photo of Dale somewhere SUPing it). Anyway, by the end of the weekend he had graduated to one of JM's Surf SUP and was SUPing the last hour or so which was the first extended time I have seen him on a SUP. Kelly, having been on the water for 22 hours, still gave him a smile and some friendly instruction on paddle technique. I was a really nice gesture considering he would have been really hurting.

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
8 Feb 2011 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

How about the Noel Graham story?

When I asked him if he would paddle in one of the relay teams he did not hesitate to say "yes". He lives at Lennox Head and remembers how the community got behind them last year.

I told him that it was $25 per paddler and told me to lock him in for 6 hours. He arrived for his paddle with $150, thinking it was $25 per hour! He still wanted to put the money in, but I convinced him to rather put the remaining $125 into raffle tickets. Anyway he ended up winning that new Corban SUP and did not hesitate to put it straight back in for auction. The board sold for $1000 so Noel not only paddled 6 hours but he also put in $150 in cash and $1000 in a SUP.

How good is that? Thanks, Noel - what an inspiration you were.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
8 Feb 2011 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

mikeman said...

When I asked him if he would paddle in one of the relay teams he did not hesitate to say "yes". He lives at Lennox Head and remembers how the community got behind them last year.

I told him that it was $25 per paddler and told me to lock him in for 6 hours. He arrived for his paddle with $150, thinking it was $25 per hour! He still wanted to put the money in, but I convinced him to rather put the remaining $125 into raffle tickets. Anyway he ended up winning that new Corban SUP and did not hesitate to put it straight back in for auction. The board sold for $1000 so Noel not only paddled 6 hours but he also put in $150 in cash and $1000 in a SUP.

How goods that great storey , well done Noel , just sent my donation off , every little bit helps.Its good being an Aussie

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
8 Feb 2011 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

mikeman said...

What an absolute legend.

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
8 Feb 2011 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

how good has the end result been out this event, we are so stoked that so much good has come out of this. We have had so many people come in and see us telling us that it was one of the best things they have done and really hope it happens again next year!!
Tee's will be done this week we are just waiting for all the companys that supported us to send in there logos and we'll go to print, so make sure if you want one and have not put your name down yet to contact us ASAP so you don't miss out.

Once again thanks to everyone that took part in this great event as you are what made it what it was!!!!!!

Thanks Angie

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
8 Feb 2011 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

so impressed with all the crew that took part and all the helpers.
to the roar crew and the jm crew....... what an amazing effort to put this fund raiser together and make it a massive success.
so good to see and amazing work.

sam

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
8 Feb 2011 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

i would like to add troy peasy to the list too - great work all weekend.
the registation crew were on the ball, jamie and justin with their expertise, mike and daneli and numerous others behind the scenes and to all the sponsers

and lastly to the 24 hr paddlers- kelly, jacko and tim for being the core of the whole event.

what a great place to live

CLOG
42 posts
8 Feb 2011 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

ditto

scubasim
QLD, 118 posts
8 Feb 2011 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

a Couple more photo's, it was great to be a part of such an awsome event!! and fundraiser to boot!

dudelatitude
QLD, 35 posts
8 Feb 2011 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Some pics from late morning on Sunday

Minkee
QLD, 225 posts
9 Feb 2011 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Sim I noticed you forgot to add the following picture:

no need to thank me...

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
9 Feb 2011 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

At no stage during this event were there less than 20 paddlers in the water. I counted 30 paddlers at 9pm on Saturday night and 20 paddlers at 3am on Sunday morning. I don't think any of us expected such support with such little preparation time.

scubasim
QLD, 118 posts
9 Feb 2011 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Minkee said...

Sim I noticed you forgot to add the following picture:

no need to thank me...

ha ha
good times good times, hey at least i made them laugh, that'll teach me for pushing in!

kiwirofes
QLD, 2 posts
10 Feb 2011 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Congrates to Justin, Jamie, jacko & Angie & everyone who helped organize such an awesome event in such a short time. Our team "Justin's

K

er

mi

t'

s"

had an awesome time & we will be back next year!!! That give us a year to practice those turns.....lol

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
10 Feb 2011 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

kiwirofes said...

Well done everyone who helped organize such an awesome event in such a short time Our team "Justin's Green Kermit's" had an awesome time & we will be back next year!!! That give us a year to practice those turns.....lol

Hey you guy's looked great when the whole green team hit the water at once.

You win best dressed team,well done

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
11 Feb 2011 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kiwirofes,

You guys ROCKED. I think it was about midnight and every single time i went passed your little beach setup your whole crew would cheer me on!! Loved it.

Thanks for your help and being apart of it all.

XX angie

pmorgan1974
NSW, 1080 posts
11 Feb 2011 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

well done guys. solid effort

kiwirofes
QLD, 2 posts
11 Mar 2011 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

DVD from 24 hr SUP Marathon will be available in a couple of weeks, Thanks to Kat Whitney for creating a masterpiece. Anyone wanting a copy contact me cost $15 all proceeds going to the flood relief

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Huge Flood relief Paddle - please read!!!!!!" started by paul.j