Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

King of the Coast Race - Qld 24th January 2010

Created by aussiewahine > 9 months ago, 1 Jan 2010
aussiewahine
QLD, 798 posts
1 Jan 2010 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Sunshine Coast Paddlers are inviting all SUP paddlers to compete in the first annual Australia Day "King of the Coast" race from Moffat Beach, Caloundra to The Wharf at Mooloolaba, Queensland.

www.sunshinecoastpaddlers.com

RACE DAY - 24th January 2010

11.30pm – 1.30pm Late registration $40 and competitor signoff Moffat Headland (next to boat ramp) Caloundra.

1.10pm - SUP Race briefing
1.25pm - START Stand Up Paddle Boards & Paddleboards

1.30pm Race briefing All Competitors
1.45pm START - All Outriggers, Over 50 & 60 Ski's, Under 21 Ski's
2.00pm Open Men ‘King of the Coast’ Race Starts

4.30pm Presentations Fridays Wharf deck. Drinks after race.

RACE INFORMATION

Race from Yaroomba to Mooloolaba - approx 20km.

Race date is 24th January 2010. This time of start may differ depending upon wind conditions and starting point.

The race will be open to all ocean craft specifically Ocean racing skis, SLSC spec skis, OCI’s and Stand Up boards.

Competitors must wear a leg rope attaching themselves to their craft. It is also recommended that paddlers consider attaching a hand held flare to their craft and attaching or wearing a PDF. Leg ropes are available for sale through either Oceanpaddler.com or should you need to purchase one prior to the race commencing we will have some at the race briefing for purchase.

Pre-race registration online now:-

www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?ID=2339

OCEAN CRAFT

Skis – King of the Coast (first ski across line)
Any type of surf ski is permitted to compete in the series. All craft must be watertight and be able to carry the weight of the paddler. Race officials can withdraw any un-seaworthy craft prior to or during the event.

SUPs
Any make or model of SUP can be used in the events. However there are only 2 categories being Unlimited and 12'6" & Under.

OC1s

Any make, model or lengthy can be used in both races. OC2s will enter in the double category.

• Open Ski male – King of the coast (first craft across line)
• Open Ski female
SUP Unlimited Male
SUP Unlimited Female
SUP 12'6" & Under Competitor
• Oc1 male
• Oc1 female
• Over 60 competitor
• Over 40 competitor
• Under 25 competitor
• Double craft

aussiewahine
QLD, 798 posts
9 Jan 2010 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

After many emails, the Organisers have reintroduced the 12'6' Category for the race. This category will race for a prize only and free entry into next years race.

The prizes are now as follows:-

SUP unlimited open male - 1st $350, 2nd $100, 3rd $50

SUP unlimited open female -Prize plus free entry next years event (cash tba)

SUP 12ft 6' & Under Competitor - Prize plus free entry next years event

kiakaha
QLD, 472 posts
11 Jan 2010 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

aussiewahine said...

After many emails, the Organisers have reintroduced the 12'6' Category for the race. This category will race for a prize only and free entry into next years race.

The prizes are now as follows:-

SUP unlimited open male - 1st $350, 2nd $100, 3rd $50

SUP unlimited open female -Prize plus free entry next years event (cash tba)

SUP 12ft 6' & Under Competitor - Prize plus free entry next years event

The Ladies doing most of the work behind this event are getting some great response for sponsors. I think you will find that all divisions will get something for there paddling efforts.

kiakaha
QLD, 472 posts
19 Jan 2010 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

KING OF THE COAST UPDATE - COMPETITORS

The wind is looking at blowing NE, the startline is looking at near Yaroomba-Point Arkwright... see link and stay tuned for more... THIS IS NOT FINAL JUST AN ALERT For those already registered online an email and text message will be sent 24 hours before race start.... Please note ..."Sunshine Coast Paddlers" is a downwind paddle club and we adapt to changing conditions. The race NE will still be awesome if not better around Old woman island-bring it on!

aussiewahine
QLD, 798 posts
21 Jan 2010 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Well as the date gets closer it has certainly got very exciting.
With over $10,000 cash and prizes we have cash to offer in 13 of our 16 categories. There are many random draws including 2 epic paddles, a Stand up paddle board, an outrigger paddle and many vouchers and products.

We have also secured some race tops and these will be allocated to seeded paddlers...

The Sunshine coast paddlers website will be updated tonight but here is the latest for you now...

It definately looks like the race will be a North to South direction. There are already over 10 SUP entries (all Male). Come on girls !!!

Registration is open at 11.30am on the day at Yaroomba beach off Andrew street, and will close at 1.30pm sharp.

You will recieve a sticker numbered for your craft and first 100 registered a 'showbag' with some great gifts and sample for you...

We only accept cash on the day. We have only 25 SCP King of the Coast tees $25 and 50 mesh hats $20 for sale.

Well it looks like I am now heavily involved in the running of this event. Landed myself a job today as Head Admin. Mostly registrations/timekeeping/finish line placing/results/computing etc etc. Looking forward to seeing more SUP's on the line. There are already over 80 total entries so it should be big. I would recommend pre registering online.

See you all Sunday.

Sue

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
21 Jan 2010 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

aussiewahine said...

There are already over 10 SUP entries (all Male). Come on girls !!!

I'll be there (just put my rego in) - so I hope some other girls come too!

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
23 Jan 2010 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Dale Chapman and I are heading up so count in 2 more unlimited entries

aussiewahine
QLD, 798 posts
23 Jan 2010 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

OK... I have just left a meeting of the Organisers and there are now a few changes.

1. The 12'6" & Under will now be racing a shorter distance due to the conditions and time restraints on the event. All 12'6" competitors will still come to the SAME registration site at Yaroomba and register from 11.30am. YOU MUST COME HERE TO REGISTER FIRST. (UBD Map 49 N2)

The 12'6" competitors will then follow this divisions Race Starter (Jodie Marsh) to Mudjimba Surf Club where she will start you from the beach. You will then paddle to Mooloolaba to the SAME finish as all other competitors.

All 12'6" Competitors your race is now APPROX 10km.

2. 1st Place in the 12'6" Race is now a "Graffiti 9' 34wide Woody SUP Board" valued at over $1000 which has been kindly donated by Sunshine Coast Kitesurfing.
2nd place $100, 3rd place $50.

3. Unlimited Competitors are still racing the original course from Yaroomba to Mooloolaba. Approx 18km. Prize money still the same.

4. To make your day and ours alot easier, if you can REGISTER ONLINE before Midnight today...then please do so.

PRIZES

"Bluewater Players" SUP Unlimited Open Male - 1st$300 2nd$150 $3rd50

"Betta Electrical" SUP Unlimited Open Female - 1st$100 2nd$50

"Sunshine Coast Kite Surfing Co" SUP 12'6" & Under Competitor - 1st Graffiti 9' 34wide Woody SUP Board , 2nd$100, 3rd$50

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
23 Jan 2010 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Just seeing whether anyone wants to meet up at the end location at Mooloolaba before the race and pool cars to get up to the start?

I'm driving up by myself, but if I drive to the start, i'll need to get back to my car somehow at the end. Thought if there were a few others in the same situation we could work something out.

PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,
Ali

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
23 Jan 2010 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Where does the race end in Mooloolaba? I'm at the camp site now.

Dale and I will car pool but if you need a lift we could probably add 1 more board.

kiakaha
QLD, 472 posts
23 Jan 2010 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

mikeman said...

Where does the race end in Mooloolaba? I'm at the camp site now.

Dale and I will car pool but if you need a lift we could probably add 1 more board.

Mooloolaba Yacht club / Mooloolaba Outrigger Club

Swanie
QLD, 1372 posts
23 Jan 2010 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Wow a SUP board for the 12'6" class. That is a great prize and good on the sponsor for putting it up. I hear the odds on numbers are better in this class then the unlimited. Mind you I would still need a "Bradbury' event to win it.

A couple of us have entered (unlimited class) just to give it a go.

aussiewahine
QLD, 798 posts
24 Jan 2010 3:50AM
Thumbs Up

Dear Paddlers,

Latest and last info:-

* Location-Yaroomba Beach off Andrew Street
* Registration opens at 11.30am
* There will be 3 main lines at registration look for your appropriate category and line there
* You will all need to fill in a Qld Canoeing form, even if you have preregistered. * With over 100 competitors already registered please give yourself time.
* You will have a numbered sticker to place on the front left hand panel of your craft, and a number placed on your left leg.

You are required to carry on your craft or wear a personal flotation device, paddleshop will have pfd bum packs available on the day.

You must have attached to your craft and you some form of leg leash.

PLEASE NOTE: All 12’6” Competitors are to register at Yaroomba and will then follow their Race Starter (Jodie Marsh) to Mudjimba SLSC to start their race which is now approx 10km.

We at Sunshine Coast Paddlers would like to thankyou for joining us on our inaugural King of the Coast paddle. Enjoy your day, see you at the start...

Kirk and Nat Jarrott
Shane and Kylie Dalziel
(Sunshine Coast Paddlers)

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
24 Jan 2010 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

any results?

aussiewahine
QLD, 798 posts
24 Jan 2010 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

I will let all your competitors tell all the stories about the race and who was on what as I really didn't see much of it with my head buried in a computer screen and looking at stop watches all day. I just wanted to congratulate you all for entering this event.

It was this groups first ever event and they hope to run it every year. It will only get bigger and better each year. This was a learning curve and plans are already being made for next year to improve the day.

There were over 150 competitors in total paddling ski's, outriggers, stand ups and paddleboards. From Under 18's to Over 60's. Congratulations all and it was nice to finally meet some of you even if it was only a quick hello.

"Bluewater Players" Open Mens Umlimited SUP - 18km

1. Marsh Woogie 1:58:09
2. Gregory Phil 1:58:10
3. Pease Troy 2:01:05
4. Huxley Mark 2:04:31
5. Chapman Dale 2:07:25
6. Davies Andy 2:13:27
7. Manning Mike 2:17:47
8. Phinn Stuart 2:29:29
9. Down Ryan 2:36:57
10. Andrews Damien 2:37:43
11. Woods Noel 2:41:39
Heald Alan DNF
Swan Anthony DNF

"Betta Electrical" Open Womens Unlimited SUP - 18km

1. Fullagar Alison 2:30:19

"Sunshine Coast Kite Surfing Co" 12'6" SUP - 10km

1. Sheard Danny 1.16.31
2. Turner Peter 1.19.09
3. Coulter Damian 1.20.06
4. Beer Greg 1.22.26
5. Hartley Andy 1.47.54

That's it for me..... I'm off to pack my bag and catch a plane to Melbourne in 9 hrs. Off to the tennis tomorrow and then to St Kilda on Tuesday to meet DJ and all you guys down there at the race. Looking forward to it !!

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
24 Jan 2010 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Sue,

Safe trip down will be great to catch up

Phill

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
24 Jan 2010 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

thanks sue and jodie, your efforts and the time you put in with the paddle sports is amazing and i think i can say that on behalf of all the breezers

Waterloo
QLD, 1496 posts
25 Jan 2010 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Wow,

18km in the mens unlimited - separated by 1 second?

Photo finish?

scotty100
QLD, 233 posts
25 Jan 2010 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

anybody get footage of finnish! be good 4 all to see

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
25 Jan 2010 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

I would like to say that I have footage of the end but I was still paddling! It was a pretty tough race as there were only a few small runs to be had (that were hard work). It was also very hot, which made it a bit of a slog.

The second half of the race was the worst as the wind was pretty much side on and the sea was pretty confused. I am glad that I had a rudder system as those without would have had to paddle on the right side for most of the way.

Well done to Woogie and Filthy to stay so close to each other at the end. A special congratulations must go to Alison whi was the only female to enter (and complete) the race. Good effort!

rambooc1
QLD, 326 posts
25 Jan 2010 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

scotty100 said...

anybody get footage of finnish! be good 4 all to see

I got some, but i have to get a clearance from DJ first in case there isn't sufficient quantity to guarantee a fix .... hahaha only joking DJ

The finish with Woogie and co flaked out across their boards at the finish line is a classic. Give me some time .. bit on at the moment.

R

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
25 Jan 2010 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

May not be a good image from a mobile phone but show's how close the finish was between Woogie and "Iron" Phil. Woogie in white rashie and "Iron" in skin. Just under 3 mins separated the first three places. A very brutal race which I can say was experienced by all!

rambooc1
QLD, 326 posts
25 Jan 2010 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

That's a nice shot of the back of my head too secretAgent (bottom left hand side with the camera) They all collapsed not long after that, it was hot out there.

R

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Jan 2010 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

rambooc1 said...

That's a nice shot of the back of my head too secretAgent (bottom left hand side with the camera) They all collapsed not long after that, it was hot out there.

R

that also danny coming in on the 12'6 part of the race

stuartp
QLD, 41 posts
26 Jan 2010 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

Here's a picture of the race course from the hill above the start line just before the briefing. The finish point was the headland in the distance on the far left.
Couldn't retrieve any decent photos of the finish - sorry!.

As Mike said, a board with steering would definitely have helped for the second half past Mudjimba, although having a shorter board helped a bit with all the slop.
There were a few little runners for the first leg to Mudjima Island, and plenty of interesting wildlife swimming around. Hard work, but lots of fun.

Definitely one of the most well organised and supported races we have had, so thanks to SC Paddlers and especially Jodie and Sue for pushing the SUP side of it.

hux
QLD, 69 posts
26 Jan 2010 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

I found out the hard way that a 18'6" displacement hull does'nt like 12kts of ene. Got thrown around the secound half of the race and limped in to the finish.learn so much every down winder.Awsome sport.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"King of the Coast Race - Qld 24th January 2010" started by aussiewahine