Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Kristi Page & Justin Fanatic 12'6 45+kn D'wind Vid

Created by OG SUP > 9 months ago, 6 Feb 2012
OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
6 Feb 2012 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Kristi and Justin were pumped when they saw the wind prediction for yesterday afternoon, so a plan was hatched for a 5.5km downwinder.

They wanted to see how well the 12'6 x 27 Fanatic flat water race boards would work on an epic downwind run. Gear was packed, PFDs were doned, Justin loaded up on a redbull or 2 and then it was off into the eye of the storm.

Some of the runners they linked up were altime is was like hitting the nitrox button the wipe outs were pretty full on too.

The adventurers getting ready to go.

Justin "Pumped"

The video wasnt great as the wind was so strong it was almost impossible to hold the cam still in the wind and driving rain but we did our best. Look at the landmarks in the background and just how fast they are zipping by.

.be

Phill

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
6 Feb 2012 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Wow amd heres me thinking I'm ready for a DW in Sydneys windy condition........perhaps not, given Justin felt the need to actually put on his PFD at some stage

Great effort

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
6 Feb 2012 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Nice.. We'll join you guys next time when it's a bad direction for our run.. More days like that please..

DJ

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Shire,

Justin didnt need the PFD it was a bum bag type and it deployed itself when he hit the water then he had a wrestle on his hands and it was easier to wear it than try to stow it lol. I have seen this happen a few times on vessels with people going over the side at speed the zips or velcro let go and then the fun begins.

I still prefer the PFD that DJ suggested and we went an bought at his mates paddle shop. It has huge arm holes, plenty of sowage for radios flares, whistles etc it you want to take them doesnt get in the way its in position all the time and it stays there and floats you face up if you get knocked out.

Phill

boylos
NSW, 769 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Great work Kristi ..... your'll have to get Dad to get you a gopro!......... would of been great to see it from that angle.

Boylos

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

Hi Shire,

Justin didnt need the PFD it was a bum bag type and it deployed itself when he hit the water then he had a wrestle on his hands and it was easier to wear it than try to stow it lol. I have seen this happen a few times on vessels with people going over the side at speed the zips or velcro let go and then the fun begins.

I still prefer the PFD that DJ suggested and we went an bought at his mates paddle shop. It has huge arm holes, plenty of sowage for radios flares, whistles etc it you want to take them doesnt get in the way its in position all the time and it stays there and floats you face up if you get knocked out.

Phill

Thanks Phil, i have one of those bum bag types, maybe a fixed pfd would be wise

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

boylos said...

Great work Kristi ..... your'll have to get Dad to get you a gopro!......... would of been great to see it from that angle.

Boylos

Keep your money in your pocket Phil, she's bound to win one sometime soon

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Shire,

They all have pros and cons, up north you would prolly get heat stroke in a standard PFD so again horses for courses I guess.

Boylos / HC

Believe it or not Nesha Kristi's younger sister won a HD gopro at the Port Phillip Cup in the lucky prize but yesterday was a little full on so it stayed in the car.

ShireSUP said...

OG SUP said...

Hi Shire,

Phill

Thanks Phil, i have one of those bum bag types, maybe a fixed pfd would be wise

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Anytime DJ,

There are more obsticles at this end and lots of deep mud to traverse if you land in the wrong spot.

DavidJohn said...

Nice.. We'll join you guys next time when it's a bad direction for our run.. More days like that please..

DJ

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

They all have pros and cons, up north you would prolly get heat stroke in a standard PFD so again horses for courses I guess.

Funny you should say that, the word out of the west following the Doctor race is that all the competitors were quite comfortable in standard PFDs in 35 degree heat. Some were very happy to have them on as it turned out. Even Connor Baxter said he didn't notice it after a while. I think when it gets over 40 knots, you're pretty much out of your mind if you don't wear one. I don't care who you think you are, you're not swimming against that current and a leg rope isn't infallible.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

OG SUP said...

Funny you should say that, the word out of the west following the Doctor race is that all the competitors were quite comfortable in standard PFDs in 35 degree heat. Some were very happy to have them on as it turned out. Even Connor Baxter said he didn't notice it after a while. I think when it gets over 40 knots, you're pretty much out of your mind if you don't wear one. I don't care who you think you are, you're not swimming against that current and a leg rope isn't infallible.

if you look at that vid, most of the paddlers had them on very 'loosely' - not correctly fitted. to me that says it all
away from the 'public' i know a few that were not keen on them at all. the training test runs had the boys sweating like pigs at 6 am

i reckon the bum bag,gas inflatable are the best all round system- paddlers comfort and a reasonable amount of safety. all thou nothing would be perfect

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
6 Feb 2012 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

PTWoody said...

OG SUP said...

if you look at that vid, most of the paddlers had them on very 'loosely' - not correctly fitted. to me that says it all
away from the 'public' i know a few that were not keen on them at all. the training test runs had the boys sweating like pigs at 6 am

i reckon the bum bag,gas inflatable are the best all round system- paddlers comfort and a reasonable amount of safety. all thou nothing would be perfect

Confused...........

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

ShireSUP said...

laceys lane said...

PTWoody said...

OG SUP said...

Confused...........

like a lot of things on the sup forum, what is said on here and what actually is the truth is two different things- politics i think is the correct term

now watch me die online

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
6 Feb 2012 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Mark,

In our instance recreational not racing the focus is on safety and we are used to using the equipment in hot conditions its just part and parcel of how we go about it. Dosent make it right or wrong just our choice.

Yesterday in winds that strong 100k+ at the peak ( a single gust blew Nesha off her feet without warning) a PFD is madatory for safety, go without one and you really need to get your head checked.

Phill.

laceys lane said...

PTWoody said...

OG SUP said...

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
6 Feb 2012 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

ShireSUP said...

laceys lane said...

PTWoody said...

OG SUP said...

Confused...........

like a lot of things on the sup forum, what is said on here and what actually is the truth is two different things- politics i think is the correct term

now watch me die online

your a brave man lacey, but hey its been 2 mins and no one has red thumbed you yet!

lets face it I am probably some months away from doing a DW in winds like that......

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Feb 2012 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

hey phil, no shot at you guys at all. actually no shot at anyone. just a statement in rely to confused.

in those winds i would be wearing something too.

heat is issue with fully blown pfd. up here you wouldn't really wear a dark rashie on a dw run except in the smack middle of winter.

the wind was certainly blowing.

dj, in his latest vid, was way back from where he normally stands on his vids

cheers

matt18
VIC, 534 posts
6 Feb 2012 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

well done guys sure was windy

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
6 Feb 2012 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

now watch me die online

I think we also need to be very aware of who else is lurking

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
6 Feb 2012 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Really lets face it you VIC's have nothing on the QLD's

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
6 Feb 2012 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

Really lets face it you VIC's have nothing on the QLD's

Except the occasional day of sunshine.

matt18
VIC, 534 posts
6 Feb 2012 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

cool - got a red thumb for say well done and a comment on the weather

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
6 Feb 2012 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Looked like a howler, Did we ever find out how the boards went ?

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
6 Feb 2012 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey WH,

Kristi said that on several occasions the Fanatic dipped the nose under up to the handle (1/2 way) and by stepping on the tail it came back up without throwing her off.

Kristi learned to trust the board coming back up by surfing it at Merimbula, the fisrt couple times it went under up there she tried to fight the board not let it do its thing!

On Sunday the Fanatic regularly penitrated the wave in front and just kept going where her other board used to push water and slow down and fall of the back of the wave (could be more a technique issue).

Over the full 5.5kms she only fell off twice in those conditions once looking back (cardinal sin) the second time just slipped off.

She usually uses a 14 and found the flater rocker did not catch the wind as much as the upturned nose did. It was also much easier to turn onto the runner to surf across it to get speed.

I guess you can see the stability for yourself best make your own judgement.

Its only one downwinder but she was impresed and it definitely linked runners well.

Would be interesting to see how it performs in say 25 - 30kn more standard conditions.

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
7 Feb 2012 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Mark I didnt take it as a shot. and my comment was in reference to those conditions 45+kn and in Corio Bay.

We have many people taking up the sport that see these posts and think hell yeah that looks like all time fun. I would rather take a conservative approach I dont and never have forced that opinion on anyone.

What you take with you is your own choice based on location, number of paddlers, conditions and your own ability. My view rightly or wrongly is rely on yourself to save your own ass at all times. Here we have cold water, limited land access and many other factors that come into play that are often not taken into consideration by new paddlers reading these posts.

A professional athlete or advanced paddler will have more skill, more capabilities. better preparation and may decide quite rightly to assume more risk to get to a goal during training or a race its thier choice and they know what they are up against and they accept the consequences if it turns to sh1t.

This run is not like the Melbourne run, you are paddling across the bay and are up to 2.75km from shore not running 400 or less from the coast. You only have shore access in certain quadrants on the bay to provide support from as kms of the bay are fenced off industrial land this makes you select departure and exit points pretty carfully and we changed departure 3 times due to wind direction.

You do have access to Harbour Control, Water Police, Coast Guard and many other facilities if you need them and they are in very close proximity and with strong relationships you can have immediate response if you need it.

Again my view rightly or wrongly is rely on yourself to save your own ass at all times, take with you whatever you believe is necessary to do it.

If your paddling with others work to the level of the least experienced paddler and keep thier limitations in mind.

This is my view I dont force it on anyone and I like to stay conservative, there is always another day another paddle to be had!

Phill

laceys lane said...

hey phil, no shot at you guys at all. actually no shot at anyone. just a statement in rely to confused.

in those winds i would be wearing something too.

heat is issue with fully blown pfd. up here you wouldn't really wear a dark rashie on a dw run except in the smack middle of winter.

the wind was certainly blowing.

dj, in his latest vid, was way back from where he normally stands on his vids

cheers

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
7 Feb 2012 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your reply
All sounds really good for that board.
I'm a 12'6 x 30.5 size rider and love my fanatic,

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
7 Feb 2012 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Well done Kristi, mega wind! Well said Phil, totally agree.

I just got a 2nd hand 12'6"x 30.5 Fanatic and love it. Have surfed it a few times up to over head but fat conditions and it is very controlable. Done a couple of light DWs on it and it flys, picks up runners nearly as well as my 16 foot DC. I intend to sell the 16 as the 12'6" is more versatile for this area (Sydney) cause there are heaps of opportunities to surf on it. I also got a 2nd hand 12'6" DC for Robbie. Took him on his first ocean paddle the other day, he was blown away being a km off shore

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
7 Feb 2012 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

Mark I didnt take it as a shot. and my comment was in reference to those conditions 45+kn and in Corio Bay.

We have many people taking up the sport that see these posts and think hell yeah that looks like all time fun. I would rather take a conservative approach I dont and never have forced that opinion on anyone.

What you take with you is your own choice based on location, number of paddlers, conditions and your own ability. My view rightly or wrongly is rely on yourself to save your own ass at all times. Here we have cold water, limited land access and many other factors that come into play that are often not taken into consideration by new paddlers reading these posts.

Water temperature is a key point - doesn't matter how good a swimmer you are, when you're up to 3km from shore, that's over half an hour to swim at Kieren Perkins pace and in Victoria, that's often hypothermia time, with or without a PFD. So another reason to pre-plan and take whatever gear is necessary.

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
7 Feb 2012 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

Well done Kristi, mega wind! Well said Phil, totally agree.

I just got a 2nd hand 12'6"x 30.5 Fanatic and love it. Have surfed it a few times up to over head but fat conditions and it is very controlable. Done a couple of light DWs on it and it flys, picks up runners nearly as well as my 16 foot DC. I intend to sell the 16 as the 12'6" is more versatile for this area (Sydney) cause there are heaps of opportunities to surf on it. I also got a 2nd hand 12'6" DC for Robbie. Took him on his first ocean paddle the other day, he was blown away being a km off shore

I agree Goaty, the Fanatic 12'6 x 30.5 does it all

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
7 Feb 2012 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Wow looks great wish we had a straight run that that around here .... Great effort from kristi also for getting out there

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
7 Feb 2012 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

Wow looks great wish we had a straight run that that around here .... Great effort from kristi also for getting out there

With a gushing Southerly, you could probably do Palmie to Ettalong, and jump the ferry back to Palmie... worth considering anyway.

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
8 Feb 2012 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Goatie / Dan,

I remember looking out the window at a macking SW and think "back to sleep" now its get the boards and lets get going!

Kristi and Simondo have comleted a few epic down winders on Corio it seems to funnel the wind in the middle.

Between surfing and racing you get to cover the conditions on just about any day

Robbie will love downwinding and he will smoke it on the DC.

Its great to get out on the raceboards and just paddle for fitness, just need more free time!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Kristi Page & Justin Fanatic 12'6 45+kn D'wind Vid" started by OG SUP