Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Laird Teahupoo june 2009

Created by messup > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2009
messup
NSW, 182 posts
12 Jun 2009 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi breezers , had to twist a few arms and promise strange sexual favors to get the raw footage from the news the other day that you all saw or maybe not,
when you click the youtube let it download in HQ and enjoy
it doesnt start until the 2.40min mark sorry about that i dont know how to shorten it , but its worth it ,
damn that laird is a freak
tom

Gorgo
VIC, 4961 posts
12 Jun 2009 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

I don't know what to be more amazed at:
- the frequency of perfect pitching waves and the massive spectator fleet
- Laird's deep barrel
- Laird paddling for his life on the first wave
- All the guys casually sitting on the peak as the lip pitches
- or red boogie board guy ... going over the falls ... twice!

green0
VIC, 18 posts
12 Jun 2009 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

How rediculously perfect is that wave.

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
12 Jun 2009 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

green0 said...

How rediculously perfect is that wave.

In a terrifying kinda' way......

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
12 Jun 2009 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Tom, my wife saw it on the news but couldn't find the remote quick enough to record it so I only got 'told' about how good it was!

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
12 Jun 2009 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome .. can't stop replaying it! Thanks

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
12 Jun 2009 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Good to see Laird on a "shorter gun". Not sure if its we only see old footage but he always seems to be riding 12 foot monsters.

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
16 Jun 2009 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Here's an edited version of Laird at Teahupoo - cut out the frozen first 2mins or so:

messup
NSW, 182 posts
16 Jun 2009 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Keahi said...

just found some new pics and a vid showing the same swell. Was a few SUPs out

http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/article.aspx?articleId=5948&cateId=3&title=Teahupoo.%20June%206,%202009

Some pretty intense footage of more than just laird

Keahi

thanks heaps Keahi thats got some great extra footage its good to see the other paddlers out there, intense indeed
tom

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
16 Jun 2009 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

it would have to hurt going over the falls......poor lid!!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17439 posts
16 Jun 2009 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

We need one now with just the last 25 seconds..

DJ

Ben dover
QLD, 504 posts
16 Jun 2009 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hows that picture of Chuck Patterson just before he eats it...

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
16 Jun 2009 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

messup said...

Hi breezers , had to twist a few arms and promise strange sexual favors to get the raw footage from the news the other day that you all saw or maybe not,
when you click the youtube let it download in HQ and enjoy
it doesnt start until the 2.40min mark sorry about that i dont know how to shorten it , but its worth it ,
damn that laird is a freak
tom

that's got to be gutsier then the epic chopes footage of laird towing in a few years back. i've watched this 10 times or more and i still can't believe it

Keahi
QLD, 851 posts
16 Jun 2009 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Ben dover said...

Hows that picture of Chuck Patterson just before he eats it...

Yea pretty ridiculous. He got smoked

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
16 Jun 2009 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Id give it 2 years and i reckon we'd see Keahi doing the same thing!

hilly
WA, 7296 posts
16 Jun 2009 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

both posts awesome thanks Inspirational as the 12er just showed up

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
17 Jun 2009 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

Mental footage! Laird's board doesn't look much over 9 or 10ft.
They put a bit of time into the deck spray, look great!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17439 posts
18 Jun 2009 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

At last the real vid.. http://www.surfline.com/video/featured-clips/teahupoo-super-session-09_27527 .. Wow!!!

Ooops.. just realized a similar one was posted.. Still worth another watch..

DJ

B Chambers
114 posts
18 Jun 2009 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

He made this wave in a plume of spit... Props to all the chargers of solid Teahupoo!

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
18 Jun 2009 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Homeally said...

No offence to Keahi-but there's a bit of difference pulling into d/overhead+ Chopes and zipping along Tea Tree faces-just ask half the pros that freak out having to ride there for the comp.

B Chambers said...

He made this wave in a plume of spit... Props to all the chargers of solid Teahupoo!

Blane which board is that?

Sticking MR twin fins on my 903 Ripper with a small trailing fin-anyone over your way having any success riding that type of configuration?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
18 Jun 2009 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

loco4olas said...

Homeally said...

No offence to Keahi-but there's a bit of difference pulling into d/overhead+ Chopes and zipping along Tea Tree faces-just ask half the pros that freak out having to ride there for the comp.

B Chambers said...

Sticking MR twin fins on my 903 Ripper with a small trailing fin-anyone over your way having any success riding that type of configuration?

hi, lacey here. i surf a dc 8 10 and had a gerry lopez 8 10. on those boards i surf with a futures 7 inch with either mr's or t1 future twin fins, depending on fin system. big or small surf.dale didn't mine them, but it no for everyone.the trick is moving the centre fin till its right, can be a dog if its not
cheers

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
19 Jun 2009 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

lacey said...

loco4olas said...

hi, lacey here. i surf a dc 8 10 and had a gerry lopez 8 10. on those boards i surf with a futures 7 inch with either mr's or t1 future twin fins, depending on fin system. big or small surf.dale didn't mine them, but it no for everyone.the trick is moving the centre fin till its right, can be a dog if its not
cheers

So the MR's AND a 7" centre fin? I'm going MRs and a small trailing centre (similar size to the FCS GL fins).

Been sh$t weather here so no opportunity to try it today and yesterday.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
19 Jun 2009 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Have you tried the Occys Matt?

Might be some waves tomorrow if the wind goes more NE

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
19 Jun 2009 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

Have you tried the Occys Matt?

Might be some waves tomorrow if the wind goes more NE

John-I've got Rawson GPRs or TC Redline 2s or heaps (prob about 20 sets ) of other FCS fins - but mine are all smaller and more inclined to shortboard surfing - a mate gave me the MRs-thought I'd just give em' a spin-I can probably get my hand on the Occys-assume they're a slightly wider base and tip-so more drivey and able to take the extra weight/drive of a smallish SUB?

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
19 Jun 2009 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah they are a bit wider in the base and slightly taller as well, seem to work pretty well. I thought I read on the standup zone site that some of the crew over in Hawaii were using them. Then I saw them on Casso's Ripper.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Jun 2009 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

lacey said...

loco4olas said...

Homeally said...

B Chambers said...

cheers

yeah that right, tried smaller centre's, didn't work for me. just a tip, you might find you have to surf back a bit more, which i like
cheers

B Chambers
114 posts
19 Jun 2009 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

molded 9-3 Ripper

Not sure as the MR twins are huge. Sounds like a fun combo if you ask me!

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
19 Jun 2009 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

B Chambers said...

molded 9-3 Ripper

Not sure as the MR twins are huge. Sounds like a fun combo if you ask me!

Which fin configuration are guys over there riding?

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
20 Jun 2009 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Keahi said...

How ridiculous is this pic from that article

One way to make sure it's offshore!

dilliigaf
2 posts
20 Jun 2009 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

I flew in on thursady night surfed Friday, saturday and tuesday afternoon. Tuesday afternon was better than saturday, my avatar pic is a fram grab from chopes wednesday morning. if any one has some pics of those days or footage i would like to swap some stuff, pics and vids. i got some cool HI def stuff filmed from the point and from a boat plus a few pics of laird and Raimana don't want to sell just swap.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Laird Teahupoo june 2009" started by messup