Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Lots of talk about what you cant do on a 12'6

Created by OG SUP > 9 months ago, 28 Aug 2012
OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
28 Aug 2012 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

There are lots of conversations about what you cant do on 12'6 race boards and how they don't perform well on downwinders in the last few weeks.

Size and weight of the rider is obviously a factor but Kristi Page, Simondo Baum and Justin Ormonde have done several runs in extreme condition and had nothing but fun and the 12'6s do work in 35-45-50kn

This is a vid I posted a while back, vision is not great due to wind squalls and in a homer moment i forgot the tripod but you'll get the idea.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
28 Aug 2012 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

The 2013 Fanatic 12'6" is an even better downwinder than the previous model..

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
28 Aug 2012 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Good one Phill. Another good vid here for surf race beginners...

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
28 Aug 2012 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

12'6 boards are unreal in DW conditions!! even in light winds!

I have just as much fun riding my 12'6 as i have ever had on any unlimited board and my speeds are only slightly different as well so if someone says 12'6 boards can't down wind then maybe they need to book in for some lessons!!!

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
28 Aug 2012 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

I love my 12'6er. At training it gives me an extra incentive to keep up and beat 14's and they are really fun to DW and after seeing how well some of the Goldie boys and girls surf them I'm looking forward to getting it in the waves.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
28 Aug 2012 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

just on this topic, jacko you smashed it at state titles on your 12'6, and as this thread suggests they are prety good downwinding too, do you think races will ever become just a single size class for the opens??

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
28 Aug 2012 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

just on this topic, jacko you smashed it at state titles on your 12'6, and as this thread suggests they are prety good downwinding too, do you think races will ever become just a single size class for the opens??

Wait a sec, just let me get some popcorn and a comfy chair... okay, I'm set.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
28 Aug 2012 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

im all for it, jacko proved its not a major problem, it would just make the sport more affordable for competitors board wise and travel wise.

if we wanted to go fast we would paddle skis or oc1's so i cant see any real reason as to why you would have more than one board class

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
28 Aug 2012 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

The Fanatic Carbon 12'6 x 30 odd race board goes unreal downwind too. For 85-95kg, the "30 wide" version has a nice ratio of length, and width for planning area.

I had that thing planning heaps in 15 knots. You have to paddle hard. The harder you paddle, the more planning you do... and it sucks you in to paddle hard. That day we were edging right, so I was surfing little right handers when in the trough (froffin' in the troff!).

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
28 Aug 2012 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Love my DC 12'6", we did an awesome DW a few weeks ago in 30-35 knts and I was able to keep up with Stuart Murray on his 17' SIC. They were very short period harbour type runners (in Pittwater) but you could surf em for up to 50 mts so maybe it suited the 12'6".

The guys here like Kissa and Sam and Pete love their 17' SICs though, they freaken fly on em. And the Starby Aces 14s fly in the lighter winds.

I'm not racing so happy to use my 12'6", fun surfing on the way in as well.

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
28 Aug 2012 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

I love doing everything on my 12'6 :)

XX Angie

ockanui
VIC, 1299 posts
28 Aug 2012 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

To double up the value of 12 sixing, great in the surf, cranking big bottom turn up wave to set the line, paddle caressing the wave and off you go down the line at speed to make you hair curl, just hope no one paddles in front of you as stopping quickly is not an option.....

hilly
WA, 7282 posts
28 Aug 2012 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

Easy to say when you are a whippet

100kg+ club not so much fun dw'ing in light wind but great in the surf

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
28 Aug 2012 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Well Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to all of you. I bought a Fanatic 12'6" x 30" some months ago for the purpose of ocean paddling (downwind and cruising) as well as touring.
Since then (until today) I have read lots of negatives about 12'6" boards as downwinders.
Thanks for your positive input, now I feel better.
Cheers ET.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
28 Aug 2012 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

paul.j said...

Easy to say when you are a whippet

100kg+ club not so much fun dw'ing in light wind but great in the surf

Is that still the case if u get a custom 12"6 with more volume to match you weight? I dont know much about board design but I reckon that should level the playing field?

dcc55
NSW, 74 posts
28 Aug 2012 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

How fragile are 12'6 and 14' raceboards in the surf?
Have there been any topics about breakages?
Its a lot of money to snap in a shorey.
But I'm looking at getting a 12'6 Bark later this year, mainly for the lake.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
28 Aug 2012 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

dcc55 said...

How fragile are 12'6 and 14' raceboards in the surf?
Have there been any topics about breakages?
Its a lot of money to snap in a shorey.
But I'm looking at getting a 12'6 Bark later this year, mainly for the lake.

I ride mine in the surf all the time , apart from one time when the board smacked me in the noggin , id say they are pretty durable , you do have to be carefull though , beach breaks would be risky.

PeterP
825 posts
28 Aug 2012 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Nothing wrong with 12'6's on downwinds or distance racing - they are just slower....

I suggest making away with classes, then everyone is free to ride what they want and if that happens to be a 12'6 - all good!

I used to favor a 14' class as a one-size board class allowing everyone to race on even terms - but it seems many want longer or shorter for all sorts of reasons - so lets drop the classifications - bring what you want, then the strongest paddler on the right board for the conditions wins and the rest will be happy they are on their favorite board anyway.....

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
28 Aug 2012 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...

Nothing wrong with 12'6's on downwinds or distance racing - they are just slower....

I suggest making away with classes, then everyone is free to ride what they want and if that happens to be a 12'6 - all good!

I used to favor a 14' class as a one-size board class allowing everyone to race on even terms - but it seems many want longer or shorter for all sorts of reasons - so lets drop the classifications - bring what you want, then the strongest paddler on the right board for the conditions wins and the rest will be happy they are on their favorite board anyway.....

Or the person with the most money to have a board for all conditions!!

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
28 Aug 2012 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

I can't find anywhere in here where someone says a 12'6 can't do something,

I've mentioned recently a 14ft board is easier to paddle open ocean or downwind than a 12'6, and just to clear that up easier by one and a half feet, 18 inches or 450mm

DavidJohn
VIC, 17435 posts
28 Aug 2012 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Glad I didn't have anything smaller than my 14 out there today..

DJ

PeterP
825 posts
28 Aug 2012 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

That will be the case anyway - look at JM pitching with 3 different 12'6 boards at ISA Worlds...or your own champs last year where the winner also used 3 different Starbies if I remember correctly.

Rosscoe
VIC, 505 posts
28 Aug 2012 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

I had some the longest runners I have experienced in Port Phillip (not a) Bay today ... glad I was on my 14'er. [}:)]

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PeterP said...

That will be the case anyway - look at JM pitching with 3 different 12'6 boards at ISA Worlds...or your own champs last year where the winner also used 3 different Starbies if I remember correctly.

Sorry you have lost me!! JM only had 1 board at ISA and this was the first year for the Aussie champs from what I know!!!?

paul.j
QLD, 3319 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

I'm also not saying that a 12'6 is faster than a 17 as well but for the difference there is then most of the time I'm happy on my 12'6 but doing away with all classes would never work that's for sure!

A Bomber
QLD, 113 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

There are lots of conversations about what you cant do on 12'6 race boards and how they don't perform well on downwinders in the last few weeks.

Size and weight of the rider is obviously a factor ... snip...

I'm going with the idea that it depends what's holding a 12'6 down too. as a member of the 100+ club, paddling downwind on 12'6 boards, even those with plenty of float is not much fun. Whereas the extra surface area in the back of a 14 means I can move around the board and not have it come off the plane. I've tried it on a few boards including 12'6's that would be some of the floatiest on the market and would prefer a 14 any day.
i think it would be a real shame to see racing go to a place where 12'6 is the only class, as it means we end up with an ideal body type for competitive paddling, maybe when the sport matures enough there is room for different weight classes on different length boards like Kalama proposed a while ago, however for now killing off one of the most fun classes and styles of racing in this country seems like a big step backwards.

PeterP
825 posts
28 Aug 2012 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

The SA team came back wide-eyed telling us JM had 3 boards to choose from...pure hearsay so may be incorrect. The other event I referred to may have been a state champs - not sure, but he posted something where he described how he'd used this board for that discipline and that board for the downwind etc....

Point is no matter how we try and level the playing field it will never happen unless we introduce one-design which I think everyone will agree is not the way.

The 12'6 really is a bastard race class which came about by accident and although you can downwind and do whatever you want on it - will always be slower and favour small guys or ladies. But why sustain a class that does that when a 14' does pretty much everything better? Seems like the various camps of opinion are firmly entrenched but I just don't get why you'd want to be on a 12'6 if you are into racing - unless you are very light and want that advantage over the heavier guys....

maxeaus
NSW, 326 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Obviously this guy didn't get the "cant do" memo.

In fact i think this board is actually a lot bigger.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...

The SA team came back wide-eyed telling us JM had 3 boards to choose from...pure hearsay so may be incorrect. The other event I referred to may have been a state champs - not sure, but he posted something where he described how he'd used this board for that discipline and that board for the downwind etc....

Point is no matter how we try and level the playing field it will never happen unless we introduce one-design which I think everyone will agree is not the way.

The 12'6 really is a bastard race class which came about by accident and although you can downwind and do whatever you want on it - will always be slower and favour small guys or ladies. But why sustain a class that does that when a 14' does pretty much everything better? Seems like the various camps of opinion are firmly entrenched but I just don't get why you'd want to be on a 12'6 if you are into racing - unless you are very light and want that advantage over the heavier guys....

because that is the bop class, reason being easier to surf. i believe that it initially came about as that is the longest blank you could buy.

am i the only one that doesnt want to copy the starboard wagon and have 20 different boards for each condition??

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
28 Aug 2012 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

maxeaus said...

Obviously this guy didn't get the "cant do" memo.

In fact i think this board is actually a lot bigger.

Fair to say there's a bit of compensation going on there.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
28 Aug 2012 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...

am i the only one that doesnt want to copy the starboard wagon and have 20 different boards for each condition??

No you're not the only one. There's Jacko too.

Personally, I prefer not to play an entire round of golf with a 7 iron.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Lots of talk about what you cant do on a 12'6" started by OG SUP